Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Miller VS Hobart Question

I am looking to buy a good all around mig,I have it narowed down too two. Can any one tell me what the advantage of buying a miller 252 is over a hobart ironman 250. Is one better than the other and Why?

Well Hobart is owned by Miller, and considered by some to be a hobbyist welder market. Both seem to have good warranties, A lot of it is like with most things, whether its beer, women, men, NASCAR drivers or sports teams.
    Depends on if your a blue, red, black and yellow, or grey its can just be personnel preference.
    Miller blue, Lincoln red, Esab yellow/black,Hobart gray.Along with all the other clones and wannebes

I have two Millers, a Lincoln, a Clarke MIG and a Campbell Hausfield 70 amps/110 buzz box. They all do the job for what they are designed.

I think the key is to figure out what it is you want to do, how much you can spend and then save some more money and buy the next size up. As this will save you the pain in having to take a hit in a couple months when you want to sell it and buy the next size up.

I saved for 4 years to get the Dynasty 200Dx and all the bells and whistles. But I am unlikely to out grow it being a hobbyist welder.

Check out all the equipment web sites and their forums if they offer them. Read the spec pages on the sites. Also if you ever need service is there some local to you repair place or will you have to ship it off.

These are all questions you have to answer in addition to price or what you can spend. Check the local rent it places, and Home Despot/Highes tool rentals you can try them out and see or just work them till you save enough to buy yours.
    glen, If your not on the edge, your wasting space

Default JiminIA

I was able to save about $150 bucks by buying a Hobart Stickmate LX that was on sale over a Miller Thunderbolt. Same welder different color. I would rather of bought the Thunderbolt but Money is money so I went with the Hobart and it welds just the same as any thundebolt I have ever used. I think hobart does cater more to the hobbyist, but that seeems to be a trend with everything now....Jim
    Lincoln Powermig 255
    Hobart Stickmate AC/DC
    Miller AEAD 200LE
    Lincoln AC 225

The MM 252 offers significantly more top end power- voltage and amperage.

For the output range the IM 250 is trying to cover, 7 output ranges isn't enough available options to do a real good job of cover this out put range - expect holes in the coverage.

It's more realistic to consider the IM 250 a heavy duty 200 amp unit instead of a 250 amp unit.

If I could afford the MM 252, without hesitation I'd go with it over the IM 250

The stickmate and the Tbolt are the exact same machines, I believe they are the only ones in the lineup that are.

Ibe,

First, Hobart is NOT owned by Miller. Both companies are owned by Illinois Tool Works (ITW). Both companies however operate as separate operating entities. Do they share some engineering and material acquisitions, I'm sure they do but to what extent, no one's sure.

In the smaller migs, the decision is not so easy. Both companies produce fine units which simply appeal to a different buyer. Tapped output vs continously variable output is one example.

I have a HH187 and feel that, in it's power range, it's one of the best little migs available and prefer it over the Miller 180A machine.

When you move up to the more powerful machines, Miller pulls away and doesn't look back. As mentioned, the MM252 has significantly higher top end, duty cycle, etc. over the IM 250 and it's not even close. The MM252 is already spoolgun (plug and play) ready. You can have both a spoolgun and regular mig gun installed at the same time. The Miller has dual digital readouts for volts and wfs, which can be helpful in dialing in a "sweet spot".

I also have the MM251 (predecessor to the MM252) and wouldn't trade it for anything in the Hobart line. As much as I like my HH187, Hobart just doesn't have a machine which really compares to the MM252.

Service after the sale is excellent with both companies so that's not a factor.

If money is a major factor (for most it is), I would take a two year old MM251 over an IM 250 any day of the week. If this machine is for home use vs to produce income, I would look to my local craigslist or e-bay for a good lightly used MM251/MM252. For a business (depreciation), I'd probably go new.

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by SundownIII View Post
    Ibe,

First, Hobart is NOT owned by Miller. Both companies are owned by Illinois Tool Works (ITW). Both companies however operate as separate operating entities. Do they share some engineering and material acquisitions, I'm sure they do but to what extent, no one's sure.

In the smaller migs, the decision is not so easy. Both companies produce fine units which simply appeal to a different buyer. Tapped output vs continously variable output is one example.

I have a HH187 and feel that, in it's power range, it's one of the best little migs available and prefer it over the Miller 180A machine.

When you move up to the more powerful machines, Miller pulls away and doesn't look back. As mentioned, the MM252 has significantly higher top end, duty cycle, etc. over the IM 250 and it's not even close. The MM252 is already spoolgun (plug and play) ready. You can have both a spoolgun and regular mig gun installed at the same time. The Miller has dual digital readouts for volts and wfs, which can be helpful in dialing in a "sweet spot".

I also have the MM251 (predecessor to the MM252) and wouldn't trade it for anything in the Hobart line. As much as I like my HH187, Hobart just doesn't have a machine which really compares to the MM252.

Service after the sale is excellent with both companies so that's not a factor.

If money is a major factor (for most it is), I would take a two year old MM251 over an IM 250 any day of the week. If this machine is for home use vs to produce income, I would look to my local craigslist or e-bay for a good lightly used MM251/MM252. For a business (depreciation), I'd probably go new.

Hope this helps.
    Well said and I pretty much agree. If you go over to hobart's board and ask the same question you will get a little different perspective but somewhat the same answer. The IM 250 is pretty much a forgotten machine as is the IM 210 only less. Hobarts following in mig is the "small case" lovers.

Seriously if I could get 2 IM250's for the price of 1 MM252 I doubt I would do it. YMMV

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
    Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

I wish the MM252 had a pulsed mig option that would be killer.

Thumbs up Mm 252

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bigs View Post
    I wish the MM252 had a pulsed mig option that would be killer.

Just give them time, I'm sure they will

Dave
    "Bonne journe'e mes amis"

well after reading the other posts there's not more to ad. i'd kill to get a 252. but to answer you question: i've worked in the welding feild for over 20 years and have run every welder made i think, from little 110v $40 welder to big40 stick. now as i buy my own welding equipiment i only buy miller.
    if you have a good welding suppler they can set you up with a demo of both and then you can see the differance miller just welds better..