This may be a wild duck hunt but...

I had a friend tell me they make/made a heating system that instead of using a rosebud on an O/A set up you could use an arc welder.

Apparently it plugged in replacing the electrode holder and ground clamps the attached to the piece you were trying to heat. You then turned on your welder and the electricity went through the metal heating it up.

Has anyone else ever heard of such a creation? If so who made it? Where could one be found? and what is it really called?

Thanks for any help you might be able to provide.