Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 200dx vs. 300dx

Default 200dx vs. 300dx

Trying to decide whether to purchase a new 200dx or a used 300dx. What are the major differences between the two besides the obvious amperage
    capabilities. In doing research I see that the new 350's have quite a few more wave pattern adjustments then the 200. Do the 300's have these same capabilties like the new 350's? I really do not need the amperage capabilities of the 300, but I do do alot of lighter gauge aluminum and the it seems the ability to fine tune that arc would come in handy in that respect. I guess my question goes out to the users out there who have real experience with both of these machines. Do you really use the added capabilities of the 300-350 enough to justify the added cost? Thanks in advance for any information. It is appreciated. Mike

I think in your case a new 200dx would have the added capabilities, the new ones have the wave forms and an improved arc start. I believe the 300 only does advanced squarewave.
    Dynasty 200 DX
    Millermatic 175
    Spectrum 375
    All kinds of Smith OA gear

I noticed that in the 350 description it states: AC Waveforms Control: Advance Squarewave, Soft Squarewave, Sine Wave, and Triangular Wave .
    But the 200dx does not include these features in the description. These are the added features that I was talking about in the first post.
    Mike

I own an older D200DX and D300DX. The only real difference being the extra amperage and the ability to store a few extra user set programs. The last generation of the D300DX machines do not have the true independent variable polarity wave shaping capabilities of the new D200Dx and the new D350DX.

If you do not need the amperage, you say your work is thin gauge material, you will be best served by the newest generation of the D200DX with the true VP.

There are some additional features the new 350 machines offer, but certainly not necessary for what most folks do with the GTAW process. BTW: Most people like running the 350 with the soft square wave output.

Good Luck

HAWK
    Last edited by HAWK; 12-05-2008 at 07:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HAWK View Post
    I own an older D200DX and D300DX. The only real difference being the extra amperage and the ability to store a few extra user set programs. The last generation of the D300DX machines do not have the true independent variable polarity wave shaping capabilities of the new D200Dx and the new D350DX.
    If you do not need the amperage, you say your work is thin gauge material, you will be best served by the newest generation of the D200DX with the true VP.

There are some additional features the new 350 machines offer, but certainly not necessary for what most folks do with the GTAW process. BTW: Most people like running the 350 with the soft square wave output.

Good Luck

HAWK
    Actually, the newest 200DX does not have the Variable Polarity capability of the 350DX. It does have the 4 AC waveforms and the new arc start board like has been stated. I have done some experimentation with the VP feature of my 350 on lower amperages and it actually creates a bit of an unstable arc. I'm not sure if that's why they left it off of the 200 in it's current form but I have only had success with it at settings above 200 amps.

I have owned an earlier model 200DX as well as a 300DX. I currently own the lastest version of the 200DX and use a 350DX for all shop work. The newer waveforms and arc starting parameters on the 200DX would give it the edge for me unless I absolutley needed the extra amperage that the 300 has. In reality, there are significant differences in the new 200DX versus the 300DX besides 100 amps.

If you can live with the top end of the 200DX, that's the direction I would steer you. Miller really did good with the new features on this one and it really shines on thinner gauge aluminum.

http://www.millerwelds.com/about/new...ticles248.html
    Last edited by KB Fabrications; 12-05-2008 at 12:23 PM.
    Dynasty 350DX
    Dynasty 200DX TigRunner
    MM 350P
    MM Passport Plus
    Spectrum 375 Extreme
    08' Trailblazer 302

Quote Originally Posted by KB Fabrications View Post
    Actually, the newest 200DX does not have the Variable Polarity capability of the 350DX. It does have the 4 AC waveforms and the new arc start board like has been stated. I have done some experimentation with the VP feature of my 350 on lower amperages and it actually creates a bit of an unstable arc. I'm not sure if that's why they left it off of the 200 in it's current form but I have only had success with it at settings above 200 amps.

I have owned an earlier model 200DX as well as a 300DX. I currently own the lastest version of the 200DX and use a 350DX for all shop work. The newer waveforms and arc starting parameters on the 200DX would give it the edge for me unless I absolutley needed the extra amperage that the 300 has. In reality, there are significant differences in the new 200DX versus the 300DX besides 100 amps.

If you can live with the top end of the 200DX, that's the direction I would steer you. Miller really did good with the new features on this one and it really shines on thinner gauge aluminum.

http://www.millerwelds.com/about/new...ticles248.html
    Can I come to your shop and play???
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time

KB,

I screwed the pooch on that on...