Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Hmm for some reason millers servers are blocking out a word that was fine? Maybe i spelt it wrong and it thought it was something else.
    welding...its awsome

I agree with the idea of looking at dry-cut saw instead of the abrasive blade. More accurate, quieter, smoother cuts, smaller kerf, no hideous smoke. Downside is the increased upfront $.

I think the increased productivity, flexibility, and comfort will more than make up for the extra $.

I looked at the Milwaukee and a few others before settling on the Hitachi CD14F. The hinge just felt much beefier (no slop) and Hitachi has always been killer industrial grade gear in my experience and by reputation.

http://www.hitachipowertools.com/sto...h=1,11,57,p145,

Chris

The free grinders in the offer are the new 10A 4.5" versions - I already have 4 of them, so I'll be getting the extra blade.

Having used the multi-cutter on some 3/16" 4" square (12 cuts), I do like it better than a chop saw, but it's still not as accurate as a good band saw. The speed it slices at is great and the lack of a nasty edge is also excellent. I imagine on smaller stock (what I purchased it to do - primarily) it will be a dream machine.
    Syncrowave 250DX
    Invison 354MP
    XR Control and 30A

Airco MED20 feeder
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 81
    Smith O/A rig
    And more machinery than you can shake a 7018 rod at

Quote Originally Posted by weld_13 View Post
    Do you think you can point me in the right d******** as to where to get a dry/cold cut chop saw? I looked at dewalts website and didnt find any. I know there are other manufactures that make them just didnt know which to look at. Thanks
    Go back to the dewalt products site and under their metalworking section click on multi-cut saw and it brings up the picture with all the info.the model number is dw872.
    301 trailblazer
    12vs extreme mig box
    spectrum plus plasma
    steelmax mag drill
    millwaukee steel cutting skillsaw

dewalt 14" cold cut off saw
    various hand &power tools
    spoolmatic 30a

So whats the trick to the saw blades? Could you not just use one on a miter box or ordinary chop saw?
    welding...its awsome

Quote Originally Posted by weld_13 View Post
    So whats the trick to the saw blades? Could you not just use one on a miter box or ordinary chop saw?
    its a slower rpm
    301 trailblazer
    12vs extreme mig box
    spectrum plus plasma
    steelmax mag drill
    millwaukee steel cutting skillsaw

dewalt 14" cold cut off saw
    various hand &power tools
    spoolmatic 30a

What i think would be cool is to try using one of those blades on a variable speed table saw.
    welding...its awsome

What i think would be cool is to try using one of those blades on a variable speed table saw
    I think that would be dangerous! I got the steelmax chop saw for $500 and got a free blade (almost $100 value) at the tent sale...
    I LOVE IT! Better than the RIDGED abrasive saw I got for $200. Price was worth it! I bought the model before they made the quick release , but I'm much happier with the steelmax (www.steelmax.com). Very little burs, touch it almost immediately, cuts VERY true angles with now curve/blade flexing...
    bert
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time

If you do go with the dry-cut saw you might want to consider buying a spare blade at the same time. That way you'll always have a blade on-hand while the other is out for sharpening. You might be able to swing a good deal if you buy a spare at the same time.

Keep in mind that how you use the saw will greatly determine blade life. A light hand may get you hundreds of good cuts but one jam fed cut could have you sweeping carbide teeth off of the floor and then being forced to scrap the blade.

Tenryu makes some great blades including one for stainless.
    http://www.tenryu.com/

BTW - *Please* don't try the table saw idea. That sounds like a Darwin award-winning experiment!

C.

Yeh but it would be cool to try if it worked. Although there is ruining that nice table saw
    welding...its awsome