Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Miller big 40

Hybrid View

Default Miller big 40

http://maine.craigslist.org/tls/938890227.html

Is it worth it? Although I'd like to get a welder/gen with at least a 10k gen on it. I have an old 10k Onan gen but no welder, this will be my first welder (of course I will still have to learn to weld). I've been looking for 2-yrs now and have been holding out for the right setup. I don't want too spend money twice. The welder will be used just in a farm type setting, No commercial welding, (I'd never be that good). I have a friend that lives within 1/4 mile of me that is a very good welder and has all the equipment for all types of welding and would teach me how to weld. Also this friend will do all of my welding for barter or low pay, but I'd like to be self-sufficient. Like right now one of my loader supports on my tractor has a crack in it, I need to use the tractor/loader but my friend is away on vacation and won't be back for another week. So guess the big ?? is should I buy it or hold out for what I really want. Sorry for the long wind.

Thank you,
    David

I have a Big 40G and it's an excellent machine, but I believe the auxiliary power is only rated at 3 kw.

Question Big 40

$1500? I looked up the service manual and looks like this only has the 3KW auxillary a/c power. Do you need to run any 3-phase equipment at your place? As far as the welder is concerned, it looked in pretty good shape, and has a good sized welding generator, and a flat-head 4 cyl Cont. engine. Pretty much a 400 amp CC machine, similar to the Lincoln gas jobs in their day.
    "Bonne journe'e mes amis"