Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Hybrid View

Default Drill press stand and a weld on clamp

I am kinda short on space to work and store stuff. From what I have read here I am not the only one in this situtation. Maybe this will help someone maybe not. If so I'm glad an idea or part of an idea could help someone.

Yup right in front of the wash sink. Like I said I am cramped.

This seems to work pretty good so far. After I made the base and the hinge I decided that this may be a decent place for my drill bits. So I found some scrap sheet metal and a couple pieces of angle and this is what I came up with. After bending the sheet metal I decided that having a break would make short work out of what I spent way to long doing. I know the paint job is poor at best but its painted for now. Also no I did not run out of paint for the drawer, I thought it may be less of a pain in the rear then trying to find bits in a black drawer.

Here is the weld on clamp I threw together in a rush. I promise the next one will be a little nicer. It worked exllent for those times the work is away from the edge of the table.

Now I know that someone will catch the fact that its just sitting there and not welded down, but i had to set it somewhere to take the pics. The next one I make needs to be heaver in the rear since it wants to tip foward if the screw isnt down on the table.

You think you're cramped. I have just enough space to stand in front of my bench; about 18" of depth.

I've got a benchtop sitting on my table taking up lots of space.
    Last edited by tasslehawf; 11-30-2008 at 11:31 PM.
    Miller Maxstar 200 DX
    RMLS-14 Momentary Hand Control
    Miller Syncrowave 180 SD
    Porter Cable 14" dry metal saw
    Hitachi 4.5" grinder
    http://mhayesdesign.com

Default nfinch86- Canadian Weldor :

Tom37, Hi; I like the idea that the drill swings out of the way.Nice Job!!
    As far as the Clamp goes is your bench steel?? If it is Place the clamp where you want it and put a good sized Tack on the FRONT of the Base it will hold fine. When you are done pry the Back of the base up to break it off!!
    By the way what prosess did you use to weld the base on to the clamp??
    Nice piece of WELDIN !!!..... Norm :

Sunrise Outside My Shop In Delhi, Ontario

- Arcair- K 4000 CAC.

- LN-25 Wire Feeder

- Lincoln Ranger 8- Engine Drive- CC\CV:

- Lincoln Power Mig 180C
    - Spoolgun.
    - DeWalt Chop Saw .
    - DeWalt Compressor - 13cfm, @ 100 psi.

www.normsmobilewelding.blogspot.com

Thanks Norm. I fib about one thing, and thats when wife my says she has a headace and I tell her i dont mind at all. Now honestly I do mind but what the heck is me complaining gona help? So I fib and hope she dont feel bad!

So I am almost embarresed to say but it was welded with .030 flux core (Lincon I think) with a measly 120 amps behind it. Now please dont ask what brand welder cause I will have to hide my head and tell ya its from china. But it was the first that I bought and since I didnt know squat about welding I didnt know any better. I keep it filled with flux and I put a 12 foot gun on it and just leave it for when I work outside on a windy day.

My intension was to weld the clamps with 7018 but the welder was on the cart in the back of the garage. So I gambled and used the flux wire. I figured if it worked for the orginal purpose with out breaking then thats great. So far it has held and I have no intension of using it over head. I cant get the spell checker to work so I'm sorry for any typos I have made.
    Last edited by tom37; 12-02-2008 at 04:40 PM.

Talking nfinch86- Canadian Weldor :

Quote Originally Posted by tom37 View Post
    Thanks Norm. I fib about one thing, and thats when wife my says she has a headace and I tell her i dont mind at all. Now honestly I do mind but what the heck is me complaining gona help? So I fib and hope she dont feel bad!

So I am almost embarresed to say but it was welded with .030 flux core (Lincon I think) with a measly 120 amps behind it. Now please dont ask what brand welder cause I will have to hide my head and tell ya its from china. But it was the first that I bought and since I didnt know squat about welding I didnt know any better. I keep it filled with flux and I put a 12 foot gun on it and just leave it for when I work outside on a windy day.

My intension was to weld the clamps with 7018 but the welder was on the cart in the back of the garage. So I gambled and used the flux wire. I figured if it worked for the orginal purpose with out breaking then thats great. So far it has held and I have no intension of using it over head. I cant get the spell checker to work so I'm sorry for any typos I have made.
    Tom, Hi ; Nice work for a beginner or veteran weldor!!
    How do you like welding with Flux-core, I must admit It's not my favorite, straight steel wire .030 0r .035 on my Lincoln 180 is my preference!!PS. try tacking the Clamp on the Table as I pointed out earlier!!!...... Norm :

Sunrise Outside My Shop In Delhi, Ontario

- Arcair- K 4000 CAC.

- LN-25 Wire Feeder

- Lincoln Ranger 8- Engine Drive- CC\CV:

- Lincoln Power Mig 180C
    - Spoolgun.
    - DeWalt Chop Saw .
    - DeWalt Compressor - 13cfm, @ 100 psi.

www.normsmobilewelding.blogspot.com