Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

hmmm...why does your table look like mine??
    Good luck in figuring it out, as I have no clue!
    Hope the others like aametalmaster helps you!!
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time

Quote Originally Posted by tom37 View Post
    Good evening all.

I am looking for input / opinion / advice. I am not sure how I want to brace the moving portion of my brake. This is what I am thinking, I know its cardboard and it might catch on fire.

The angle and the braces are planned to be 1/4 inch, I'm just second guessing myself here on whether I have enough bracing.

I'm not sure of the proper name, but I would think this piece my be called the break plate. Does anyone have any thoughts if the angle iron is better over a piece if 1/2 in plate on edge, say 2 inch's tall. I want to go with the stronger of the two hoping to reduce the flex in the plate.

I just noticed in the preview, I have 1/4 and 1/2 inch plate stacked with the angle on top. To clarify I am trying to decide how I want to make the beveled edge. To bevel the 1/2 and go with it or drill and plug weld the 1/4 to the 1/2 and bevel the 1/4. In my dreams tonight I'll decide how to make the plate rise when I loosen the lockdown bolts. I would like to have the plate rise on its own so I dont have to hold it up while inserting the work piece.
    Thanks
    Tom
    I would just bevel the 1/2".All the big brakes at work have thick shoes.

Evening,

Due to the snow and the lack of work today, I was able to have a little time to work on my project.

I would like to ask. Is it better to post my pics as I have in the past of should I post them as a direct to the picture?

I got my support cut and welded in for the most part. Then I just couldn't wait any longer, I had to try to bend a piece. Now I realize that my distance will be much longer then what I tried. But I clamped it down with complete and total junk clamps and it held. Some would say why have junk clamps, I have them so if i need to sacrifice it I can. the piece that I bent is 1/4 inch. I only extended the handles by 10 inchs and was able to bend the strap with little effort.

I have thought that I may box the center portion of the angle between the cross support, just to make sure that there is no deflection. Most likely over-kill but oh well.

Tom

I vote you post them the way you HAVE been
    I'm not late...

I am a dial up guy but have had no problem downloading. Have been following your project closely and enjoyed it. If you have some rough plans I would be very interested, been wanting to fab a bender for some time stout enough to handle heavier pieces. Thanks

I Did One A Few Years Back. Your's Looks Great. Just A Thought...i Inverted A 48" Piece Of Angle (the Under Side Was Relief Cut At 30 Degrees) And Angled That Piece At 30 Degrees Also. Using 2 Pieces Of 1" All Thread Rod I Fabricated A Cross-bar Ond Managed To Bend In Excess Of 90 Degrees. Sned More Pics As You Progress!

Sorry guys with the holidays I haven't been spending much time playing.
    Today I had a chance to progress a little bit. I finished welding up the joints that I will not be able to get to later. Now I am not lucky enough to have a mill, so I did the best I could to get the angle on the plate that clamps the work piece. At this point I am not sure about the large piece of angle to beef up the plate. I know its rather large but its left-overs. I also noticed that the plate has a tiny bit of bow up wards in the middle, hopefully I can draw this down flat when I weld the angle to the top. Man this thing is growing like crazy, it just keeps getting heavier and heavier. At this point in time I am pretty sure its going to bend 3/16, I'm just not sure about the 1/4 full width.

Here is the pics guys, I hope I am not taking to long and boring everyone.

Please if anyone sees something that doesn't look right, I would greatly appreciate it to hear about it.
    Tom

No, you're not boring anyone!! Crazy time of year, everyone is so busy with work and family we can all understand...since you don't have a mill, how did you do the bevel? hand grinder? Looks good!!!
    bert
    I'm not late...

Yes Sir you guessed it right! I tried to use my O/A torch, since I SUCK really bad with the O/A, that was a total flop. It did manage to make a place to start with the grinder. I clamped a straight edge to the bottom of the 1/2" plate and ground an edge until it was close to the straight edge. I was near wore out at this point. I am not sure what kind of plate this is but I cant drill it with anything but a cobalt bit. I didn't think the knife edge would hold up so I clamped a straight edge again and ground a small flat edge off of the sharp edge. Its harder then it seems to hold the grinder at the same angle over a 22" piece.

Tom

P.S. 15 minutes till I have to go to X mas dinner with one side of the family. Yippee for me!

Quote Originally Posted by tom37 View Post
    Yes Sir you guessed it right! I tried to use my O/A torch, since I SUCK really bad with the O/A, that was a total flop. It did manage to make a place to start with the grinder. I clamped a straight edge to the bottom of the 1/2" plate and ground an edge until it was close to the straight edge. I was near wore out at this point. I am not sure what kind of plate this is but I cant drill it with anything but a cobalt bit. I didn't think the knife edge would hold up so I clamped a straight edge again and ground a small flat edge off of the sharp edge. Its harder then it seems to hold the grinder at the same angle over a 22" piece.

Tom

P.S. 15 minutes till I have to go to X mas dinner with one side of the family. Yippee for me!
    lol....I take that as sarcasm You ever have to do that much grinder again, invest in a 7" grinder!!!!!!!!!!!
    I'm not late...