Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Guys this is what my face looked like last night. I started trying my hand at 3-d cad. My goodness my eyes were bugging out, my hair felt like it was gona fall out. But in the end I did get part of it in cad. Here is a start, this is a way cool program. I just wish I knew how to make it work easier.

Actually the project is a fly by the seat of my pants kinda thing. So I had to get the cad thing and try my hand at it, just in case it turns out nice enough that someone else may want to try it.

I have read so many post about brakes that I cant remember who said it, ( it is critical to have the holes for the handle lined up right on the money with the edge of the table ). As I am on do-over # 2 with my holes. This time I got them right on. A project is way more fun when everything lines up right and fits the first time. I plan to put together a couple pages of the finished drawings after I make sure it all works right, along with the thickness that I can effectively bend. My kids come over this fri and sat so I wont get a chance to work on it untill sun. But the kids come first.

Tom

tom, thanks for the drawing, and can't wait to see more!! Let us know what you are able to bend with it (as showing pics of that also!!!)
    thanks again,
    bert
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time

Quote Originally Posted by Bert View Post
    tom, thanks for the drawing, and can't wait to see more!! Let us know what you are able to bend with it (as showing pics of that also!!!)
    thanks again,
    bert
    Please keep going, very interested.

Default Brake

Nice job. Are you sure that it won't bow in the middle with thicker stuff? The one I built is out of 1/4" and gusseted. It still bows on 12 gauage. Let me know, cause I need to build a better one!
    Thanks,
    Lance
    Millermatic 210
    Syncrowave 200
    Spectrum 625 X-treme
    Hobart Champion 16 W/
    Miller 8VS Suitcase
    Miller 3035 Spool Gun
    Tons of Tools
    Microwave
    Laptop and Printer
    Speakers in the Back for all to hear Sirius Radio!

Tom, nice cad drawing.
    What program did you use?

I have to get into that sort of thing

G

Quote Originally Posted by lanceman73 View Post
    Nice job. Are you sure that it won't bow in the middle with thicker stuff? The one I built is out of 1/4" and gusseted. It still bows on 12 gauage. Let me know, cause I need to build a better one!
    Thanks,
    Lance

At this point I am really not sure on the strength. Now ya got me thinking I know its a scarey thought!

Does anyone have any thoughts on would I have more strengh with gussets in the back side of the angle or would it be more ridgid with one piece of plate laying on the back side of the angle making the third side of the triangle? Hope that made since.

Quote Originally Posted by gordfraser View Post
    Tom, nice cad drawing.
    What program did you use?

I have to get into that sort of thing

G
    I used Google Sketchup.

At first I couldnt make heads or tails of the darn thing, then thanks to the search feature of the internet I found many many videos that go along with the book sketch up for dummies. I dont have the book but the videos are a godsend. Even I could follow along.

Quote Originally Posted by tom37 View Post
    As I am on do-over # 2 with my holes. This time I got them right on.
    My face looks like this more than once.
    You mean Im not the only one who welds something together only to find out its off, then I have to cut it apart and reweld it
    Ken

What else is there besides welding and riding. Besides that

Miller Thunderbolt XL 300/200 AC/DC
    Hobart Handler 187
    Dewalt Chop Saw
    4" Air Grinder
    Die Grinder
    Rigid Drill Press
    Kellogg 10hp Air Compressor

2009 FXDC

Alright I have officially decided that heat is my enemy!! I got my kids back to there moms and had a little time tonight. So I started working on the arms for the moving side of the brake. Since I am tall and I have a tall bench I wanted to have the arms as near to 90 degrees down as possible. Having them near straight down makes for a difficult fit up. Anyhow long story short I had everything tacked and working right, then I welded it. Everything was great until it cooled. OK marked this one up for experience. I should have clamped it a little better then I did. A short time with the torch and all is well now. I plan to post pics after I get the gussets and support built, hopefully I can post pics along about wed. of Thur. of this week.

Kbar you mentioned do overs. I figure do overs are alright as long as we can learn from them. Now I did fail to mention that I am getting really close to being a professional grinding technician!!!! Gota love the cut off wheel and rapid cut grinding disk.

Tom

Good evening all.

I am looking for input / opinion / advice. I am not sure how I want to brace the moving portion of my brake. This is what I am thinking, I know its cardboard and it might catch on fire.

The angle and the braces are planned to be 1/4 inch, I'm just second guessing myself here on whether I have enough bracing.

I'm not sure of the proper name, but I would think this piece my be called the break plate. Does anyone have any thoughts if the angle iron is better over a piece if 1/2 in plate on edge, say 2 inch's tall. I want to go with the stronger of the two hoping to reduce the flex in the plate.

I just noticed in the preview, I have 1/4 and 1/2 inch plate stacked with the angle on top. To clarify I am trying to decide how I want to make the beveled edge. To bevel the 1/2 and go with it or drill and plug weld the 1/4 to the 1/2 and bevel the 1/4. In my dreams tonight I'll decide how to make the plate rise when I loosen the lockdown bolts. I would like to have the plate rise on its own so I dont have to hold it up while inserting the work piece.
    Thanks
    Tom