Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nuts and Bolts

Cool Nuts and Bolts

Anyon know of a slick way to get a BUNCH (like 10 coffee cans full) of nuts, bolts, studs, and washers clean with minimal labor?

a plastic bead blaster would do the trick.
    we have one at work and it cleans rust and dirt off in no time, if you could find someone that had a blaster you could use
    you would need to put a handful in a cup that had lots of holes in it. this would let the plastic media blast threw the cup with the nuts and bolts in it & as you blasted you would shake and turn the parts so that everythings gets blasted. blow off the excess dust and blast another cup full till you had them all clean
    hope this helps , this is the fastest way I know of

.............. Richard

What is it that needs to be cleaned off; grease,rust,etc?
    2, XMT's 350 cc/cv
    1, BOBCAT 250
    1, TRAILBLAZER 302
    1, MILLER DVI
    1, PASSPORT PLUS
    1, DYNASTY 200 DX
    1, MAXSTAR 150 STL
    1, HOBART CHAMP
    1, HF-251 BOX
    1, S-74d
    1, S-75DXA
    2, 12-RC SUITCASES
    2, 30 A spoolguns

soak them in diesel,

Ya or keraseen.
    Millermatic 135
    Dynasty 200DX

Buy new ones?
    Who do you call when the lawmakers ignore the law?

Miller AC/DC Thunderbolt 225
    Miller 180 w/Autoset
    Old cutting torch on LPG

Quote Originally Posted by Flyingpig View Post
    Buy new ones?
    That would work for the most part I usually do buy new ones - thats why I have 10 can full of used ones - guess I'm too cheap to throw some stuff away
    Most of the ones I want to clean are either rusty or caked with grease. there are some engine bolts, although I usually throw away stock stuff and replace with ARP bolts - those get cleaned by hand. Some of the engine bolts I keep for a cheap claimer motor. There are a bunch of body bolts for fenders and such that I would like to clean that are rusty and have paint on them.

a parts tumbler is really slick with a small amount of dish detergent and water it shakes it rubs off the grit until the parts are clean. The one I I have seen looked like a minature concrete mixer and it shook like an ultrasonic scrubber.

Very cool by the way.

Good Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Seaman View Post
    a parts tumbler is really slick with a small amount of dish detergent and water it shakes it rubs off the grit until the parts are clean. The one I I have seen looked like a minature concrete mixer and it shook like an ultrasonic scrubber.

Very cool by the way.

Good Thread
    Any idea where I could find one of those - sounds like that might be the ticket. Thanks for your Help!

Use this machine with this abrasive media in it.

It works wonders on screws and bolts. Smoothly cleans oxidized metal. Only problems are that it doesn't really clean the internal threads and it won't clean grease. If they have dried grease, wash them in kerosene first.

Really cleans external threads good.

I suppose if you were really brave, you could use this media along with quart of kerosene, but that sounds like begging for a fire.

80% of failures are from 20% of causes
    Never compromise your principles today in the name of furthering them in the future.
    "All I ever wanted was an honest week's pay for an honest day's work." -Sgt. Bilko
    "We are generally better persuaded by reasons we discover ourselves than by those given to us by others." -Pascal
    "Since we cannot know all that there is to be known about anything, we ought to know a little about everything." -Pascal