Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Unhappy New Guy (please be Gentle)

Ok, so I decided I want to take up welding and settled on the Millermatic 211 with the autoset. I'm not sure If I am doing it right but it seems to me that I need a much slower wire speed than the chart shows. Howcan I tell if I'm doing it right. I have small spatter and a very smooth sound. The bead seems like the pictures say it should. How can I tell?

Welcome Dave. If you could post pictures of your welds we could tell a lot more, but from your description, it sounds like you are pretty close. Good sound, low spatter, and the welds look like the pics. What makes you think that the wire speed is too fast? If you are used to stick welding you will have to learn to speed your travel speed up.
    Jim

I turn down the wire speed because i move the gun slower. If not, It builds up alot on the bead.

Turning down the wire speed also turns down the amps. Unless you are having problems with burning thru, try leaving the wire speed up a little and move faster and see if the bead lays down better.
    Jim

I have no clue how the auto set works. I am just use to setting the machine to how I feel with the metal.

as long as you are still getting good penetration slowing down is OK. just make shore you are not sacrificing weld strength just to slow down.
    cut a few welds open and see how its doing.

welcome to the site, and congrats on the new welder.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES