Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Fusion, for around these parts Norm's situation would be the exception, not the norm (sorry, couldn't resist). When I saw the writing on the wall back in late spring / early summer I sold off the mobile portion of my business, kept a few things like the big compressor, but sold the truck, welder, welding skid, 300' of 2/0 etc. It was hard to let it go, but I'm glad I did. Times out here are fairly tough now, and the profit margin on the mobile work was getting more and more skinny and because everyone was feeling the crunch, lots of guys were hiring out the hacks who were undercutting the honest independent rig welders. So, like I was saying, I kept all the shop stuff and go after the specialty work, as it seems to have deeper pockets attached to it. Bought a new truck too, with all of those huge rebates on the new vehicles and the old truck taking lots of TLC to keep it 100% reliable from year to year, it was the right move for me. I think 2009 will be the real tough year. We'll see, hope I'm wrong. When the time's right I might put together a new skid.

Thumbs up nfinch86- Canadian Weldor :

Quote Originally Posted by Coalsmoke View Post
    Fusion, for around these parts Norm's situation would be the exception, not the norm (sorry, couldn't resist). When I saw the writing on the wall back in late spring / early summer I sold off the mobile portion of my business, kept a few things like the big compressor, but sold the truck, welder, welding skid, 300' of 2/0 etc. It was hard to let it go, but I'm glad I did. Times out here are fairly tough now, and the profit margin on the mobile work was getting more and more skinny and because everyone was feeling the crunch, lots of guys were hiring out the hacks who were undercutting the honest independent rig welders. So, like I was saying, I kept all the shop stuff and go after the specialty work, as it seems to have deeper pockets attached to it. Bought a new truck too, with all of those huge rebates on the new vehicles and the old truck taking lots of TLC to keep it 100% reliable from year to year, it was the right move for me. I think 2009 will be the real tough year. We'll see, hope I'm wrong. When the time's right I might put together a new skid.
    Coalsmoke, Hi; I'm about the only one still standing, around here Too!!!
    Norm :

Sunrise Outside My Shop In Delhi, Ontario

- Arcair- K 4000 CAC.

- LN-25 Wire Feeder

- Lincoln Ranger 8- Engine Drive- CC\CV:

- Lincoln Power Mig 180C
    - Spoolgun.
    - DeWalt Chop Saw .
    - DeWalt Compressor - 13cfm, @ 100 psi.

www.normsmobilewelding.blogspot.com

My business this year is about half of last year's. I do a lot of ornamental iron and railings on new homes, so you know how the housing market is, right?
    But everyone is in the same boat. Thing will hopefully turn around, but in the meantime I'm getting alot of my own projects done.

Glenn

Quote Originally Posted by Coalsmoke View Post

Yea I was about done with mobile myself...I thought. I have been thinking of rigging up a trailer this time for my Bobcat and just doing whatever I can.
    I don't expect much in the future either.
    I may put some of my stuff on a boat instead. Whatever I do I'll be packing the Dynasty and powering it with whatever I can get away with. It is certainly my competetive edge.
    I have began working mobile stuff from my wifes old GMC AWD Safari and It is fantastic for going to other shops. All I carry is the Dynasty, argon, and a bunch of leads/extention cords and tools.
    My main point is I have created a lot of competition and now that times are getting tougher I want to make sure I get every dollar I got coming.
    Dang it I was loving the thought of shop only, and I know what you mean about deeper pockets... but I can't afford to miss a stinkin' thing now.
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller Spoolmate 200
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt
    SPEEDGLAS 9100XX

Talking nfinch86- Canadian Weldor :

FusionKing, Hi; On A Boat you Say ?? That sounds interesting ?? ..... Norm :

Sunrise Outside My Shop In Delhi, Ontario

- Arcair- K 4000 CAC.

- LN-25 Wire Feeder

- Lincoln Ranger 8- Engine Drive- CC\CV:

- Lincoln Power Mig 180C
    - Spoolgun.
    - DeWalt Chop Saw .
    - DeWalt Compressor - 13cfm, @ 100 psi.

www.normsmobilewelding.blogspot.com

The welding repair- fabrication has slowed to a crawl around here. Visited with both of my local competitors this past week, one had to lay off down to and including his main man of 26 years leaving just father and son for the little work they have.The other father son team is down to letting the son do what little work they have so the son has some income. Me I have about 3 weeks left of on going projects before I'm out of shop work unless something comes up. My biggest job for the winter will probably be throwing wood in the shop stove to stay warm.

I'm pretty busy. I just hired 2 kids out of trade school and I'm trying my hardest to make it work for them AND me. There good kids and have a lot of potential. I just hope I can keep them interested and financially happy. I have a total of a whopping 3 employees!

I'm trying my hardest!
    Mike
    MD Welding & Fabricating L.L.C.
    mdwelding@sbcglobal.net

I have caught up on my work.Things are slow here in New England area also.I have been running my buisness for 13yrs now and i have to admit i,m nervous also.I only run Pt as alot of you know i work Ft with the sheetmetal workers union.They are laying off guys weekly around all trades unions in my area and guys are talking about how bad it is getting out there.
    BB402D
    TB300D
    DIMENSION652
    MM250X
    MAXSTAR140
    S-32 FEEDER W/1260 IRONMATE FC/GUN
    HT/PWR-MAX1250 PLASMA

Cool UPDATE at the Lake

Kinda slow in my area still. What little industry we have here is closing plants down and laying people off.
    Strangely enuff my biz continues to trickle in. mostly word of mouth. I tried advertising again and got almost nothing. I think (OK I know) I'm getting more from the Good Lord for still paying my tithe.
    I built a new welding table for myself out of a bunch of stuff I got for nothing and actually had to delay a few jobs just to get it together and up off of the floor.
    It's a very strange economy right now to say the least
    People are still buying new boats! And now is certainly the time to get a great deal on a used one for sure. So that little activity keeps me sorta busy and then those that have a little money are still messing around with the ones they have.
    Me tho ... definitely not spending a dime on no boat right now!! Just barely paying the bills with less money coming in than going out.
    You will know when it gets REALLY tough for me cause I won't be HERE anymore
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller Spoolmate 200
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt
    SPEEDGLAS 9100XX

Thumbs up nfinch86- Canadian Weldor :

FusionKing, HI; Hang in there man !!!...... Norm :