Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Inverter Type machine vs. Normal welding machine for MIG/TIG/ARC

Hey everyone I have to ask what's the difference between an inverter type welding machine and a non-inverter type.
    What I have noticed is that inverter type welding machine draws less input current but other than that I don't know a thing. I have an inverter type MIG welding machine and tried it in aluminum. Oh man the result was a disaster. There was weld spatter everywhere on the workpiece and melted the workpiece right thru. My workpiece is an aluminum sheet 2-3mm thick BTW.

Can anyone suggest how I can solve this problem? Is it with the machine or the setting of the machine? If its with the setting what will be the best setting for such an application? Thanks!

What machine are you using and what are your settings and the wire you are using and type of wire.

-Dan
    Owner
    DW Metalworks LLC
    Miller Trailblazer 302
    Miller 8RC Feeder
    Miller Passport Plus
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX W/Coolmate 1
    Hobart Handler 135
    Hypertherm PowerMAX 30
    Smith O/A Torch Set
    Plus more tools then my wife will ever know about....

We need more details to be able to help you. For all we know you're trying to weld aluminum with .045 solid wire and spray transfer

I'll let some one more knowledgable explain the difference, but sounds like you weren't using the right polarity or you didn't clean the aluminum before trying to weld it.

Set it to AC, blance about 70% EN, and a place to start would be about 130 amps (if you have a foot pedal or some control)

Don't ball the tungsten on an inverter machine, a nice crayon looking point is perfect. use thoriated or anything besides pure tungsten as well.. then just pratice,
    Dynasty 200DX
    Hobart Handler 135
    Smith MB55A-510 O/A setup
    Lathe/Mill/Bandsaw
    Hypertherm Powermax 45
    Just about every other hand tool you can imagine

Turbo- he is using a MIG machine
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

Quote Originally Posted by engnerdan View Post
    What machine are you using and what are your settings and the wire you are using and type of wire.

-Dan
    Actually I used a machine that we OEM from a manufacturer in China. I dont have any experience yet on using MIG machine so basically I know scratch about it.
    But some details I was able to gather. they were using .9mm Aluminum MIG wire. The wire feed rate was quite slow... does this affect the welding performance of the machine?

Quote Originally Posted by elektro View Post
    Hey everyone I have to ask what's the difference between an inverter type welding machine and a non-inverter type.
    What I have noticed is that inverter type welding machine draws less input current but other than that I don't know a thing. I have an inverter type MIG welding machine and tried it in aluminum. Oh man the result was a disaster. There was weld spatter everywhere on the workpiece and melted the workpiece right thru. My workpiece is an aluminum sheet 2-3mm thick BTW.

Can anyone suggest how I can solve this problem? Is it with the machine or the setting of the machine? If its with the setting what will be the best setting for such an application? Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by elektro View Post
    Actually I used a machine that we OEM from a manufacturer in China. I dont have any experience yet on using MIG machine so basically I know scratch about it.
    But some details I was able to gather. they were using .9mm Aluminum MIG wire. The wire feed rate was quite slow... does this affect the welding performance of the machine?
    actually it's the MACHINE...you need one made in AMERICA
    seriously...you haven't told us "scratch" either!!!
    My advise would be to fiddle around with all the knobs untill it welds correctly Also read the manual. Search this website...it has all the answers you seek.
    If you are a cheap chinese welding machine importer then shame on you for coming here for answers IMO. If not then my mistake and sorry.

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
    SPEEDGLAS 9100XX

electro is from the Philippines. Last I checked thats not one of the 50 (57) states.

I do agree that an American machine would do better.
    Who do you call when the lawmakers ignore the law?

Miller AC/DC Thunderbolt 225
    Miller 180 w/Autoset
    Old cutting torch on LPG

Quote Originally Posted by Flyingpig View Post
    electro is from the Philippines. Last I checked thats not one of the 50 (57) states.

I do agree that an American machine would do better.

Wierd, but when he posted that I don't believe he had put his location in yet because I looked for that very thing.
    But if not I sincerely apologize

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
    SPEEDGLAS 9100XX

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by FusionKing View Post
    actually it's the MACHINE...you need one made in AMERICA
    seriously...you haven't told us "scratch" either!!!
    My advise would be to fiddle around with all the knobs untill it welds correctly Also read the manual. Search this website...it has all the answers you seek.
    If you are a cheap chinese welding machine importer then shame on you for coming here for answers IMO. If not then my mistake and sorry.
    Yes, actually we are an importer of Chinese products and am not ashamed of it. We're already 25 years into the distribution of welding machines. But only last year that we started into the electronic type welding machines. Well I'm just trying to learn from others so next time we can improve our machine to perform to an acceptable quality compared to american welding machines.
    I do believe that miller and nihonweld machines will be top class, but you see in the Philippines not a lot of people can afford to buy such expensive machines.
    I'm very sorry if my posts lack info or hard to understand, that's why I'm a newbie welder.