Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Question Smooth "bright" stainless welds?

I've got a project coming up that is going to use 1.5" stainless tube. The preferred finish is the "bright" polished finish. The tubes come in pre-bent 90 and 45 degree elbows and straight stock.

The trick is to maintain the smooth finish. I would like to grind the bead flat after welding, making the welds "invisible" so it looks like one long continuous shiney tube. The only method I can think of is to use flap-wheel disks of finer and finer grit, and then emery cloth of finer and finer grit, then buff and polish. I am willing to do this work, but if someone has an easier process to obtain the same result PLEASE let me know.

Thank you in advance for sharing your expereinces.

that's what my friend did when he made fishing pole holders for a friends boat. Looks like you are on the right track and tell us how it came out! Pictures step by step if you could!!!!!!!
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time

Also, friend has a JET buffing wheel that he uses the different waxes (jewelers rouge)? or polishes on with the finer grit,so maybe that helped also.
    I'm not late...

You got it. Step by step reducing the grit till you get to the level of finish you want.

The hardest thing will be matching the existing finish.
    I have 100 plus feet of 1.5" tri-clover SS thin wall hand hail to fab this weekend to install next weekend.

TJ
    TJ______________________________________

You use a scotchbrite pad to blend the finish.

Keep with the grain on your final movements.

Djbtech,
    You use a scotchbrite pad to blend the finish.
    Keep with the grain on your final movements.
    1) What grit or color do you use?
    2) Do you use a sander? or by hand?
    thanks
    I'm not late...