Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default "Induction Heater" ??

This may be a wild duck hunt but...

I had a friend tell me they make/made a heating system that instead of using a rosebud on an O/A set up you could use an arc welder.

Apparently it plugged in replacing the electrode holder and ground clamps the attached to the piece you were trying to heat. You then turned on your welder and the electricity went through the metal heating it up.

Has anyone else ever heard of such a creation? If so who made it? Where could one be found? and what is it really called?

Thanks for any help you might be able to provide.
    ~ed~

Have you ever noticed that enough is usually too much?!

i have seen them for heating large pipe. i saw an artical in welding mag. on them. look a lot more efective at heating the hole pipe end evenly. i'll see if i can find the artical and get you a link to the maker or the name so you can google it.
    but yes they exist and seem to be a good option.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

It's really called direct resistance heating.

Induction heating uses a coil to induce current in a metal part without touching it. It will also cause friction (hysteresis) in parts that are attracted to magnets. An arc welder wouldn't work to do that (or at least not very efficiently).

Direct resistance heating just passes a current through the part. I've seen a few different direct resistance adapters available to shrink sheet metal (HTP sells one) but nothing more than that for welding equipment.

If you want to experiment without spending a lot of money, buy a carbon electrode and touch it to the metal you want to heat.