Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default small workspace. What do you do to make extra space?

I have a small shop (19'x20'). I have had to work hard to make the small amount of room work. I am interested in what space saving ideas some of you have come up with over the years. here is what I have right now.

We have a landing that was taking up allot of space. I got my hands on some used file cabinets and put it on wheels and bolted some hinges to the landing. Gives me room to stuff the bikes and kids toys under the landing.

I was just looking at my clutter today and shaking my head.
    I filled 3 trash cans a couple of weeks ago,one today, and there is still more to go.
    I like the vac. on the ceiling. My big -old school shop vac. takes about 3 times more space than it should. Even my shelves need about half of all the crap to go away.
    Thanks for sharing your pics.
    Randall
    Austin Tx.

OOPS. Now I see the shop vac under the work bench.
    What is that hanging from the ceiling?

its an air cleaner. 3micron filter inside. It has two speeds, loud and quite I put a carbon filter on the outlet. It works really well as a smog eater but I wanted some type of filter to cut the smell. As its an attached garage the wife complains that it smells when I get working. She wishes my hobby was wood work rather than steel

I do have a vac on the wall above my work bench. It was laying around the garage for the longest time and I claimed it Its actually really nice to have a small vac when on the bench. If I need to suck some fumes or clean up the bench it makes it a snap.
    Last edited by Bryan L; 11-22-2008 at 07:46 PM.

I like the swing out cabinets.

I noticed most of your stuff is on wheels. That is what I have done so I can make room when I need it. It can be a pain to move, but it allows me more room when I need it.

Looks like you have a foot or so above the torsion spring on the door??
    In my old shop I built a storage rack up there for longer stuff. Always get my tubing etc in 10ft lengths which fit nicely above the door.

Quote Originally Posted by tdkkart View Post
    Looks like you have a foot or so above the torsion spring on the door??
    In my old shop I built a storage rack up there for longer stuff. Always get my tubing etc in 10ft lengths which fit nicely above the door.
    I was thinking that too. Another idea would be to build a small shelving unit under the workbench to the right side, maybe 2' X height of bench to store all your small items, spray cans, clamps, etc. On the wall add a few shelves the full length above the height of your cut off saw and organize everything. You'll be surprised how much room you come up with. I did this in my shed to accomodate my motorcycle and was able to eliminate a complete shelfing unit.
    Ken

What else is there besides welding and riding. Besides that

Miller Thunderbolt XL 300/200 AC/DC
    Hobart Handler 187
    Dewalt Chop Saw
    4" Air Grinder
    Die Grinder
    Rigid Drill Press
    Kellogg 10hp Air Compressor

2009 FXDC

You guys have tons of space.... my workshop is about 8' by 10'...

I hang my welder from the ceiling... (same with pretty much everything else)

Just out of frame Left is a rolling toolbox right against the corner... The door is not even 5 feet from the welding table...

Al...
    Last edited by araspitfire; 11-23-2008 at 04:04 PM.

good tips... I just don't know how you get long steel above the door. With the door opener arm right in the center and all.

All of my "small" stuff is in the filing cabinets actually. I think the next step for sure is what KBAR mentioned, building proper shelves to allow more stack able storage. I was thinking about making a rack for milk crates (I have access to a endless supply.