Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Graders

Hybrid View

Default Graders

Has any body built or even used one of those little graders/driveway levelers you pull behind your ATV? I wouldnt think it would be to hard to make but looks can be decieving. Let me know if someone has plans. I was looking at the one that has little rippers up front and was thinking that would be a pretty fun project if they work.

Are you talking about those DR Power Graders? I've seen them advertised in several magazines like Popular Mechanics etc. I emailed them and got some info on them - Not something I would ever buy (especially for the $1000 + dollars they get for them), but would certainly build. Haven't got that far yet. I can't see why they wouldn't work good in loose gravel, sand, or even loose dirt. Anything hardpacked I think would be a different story....Let me know if you decide to build or want to do a little brainstorming. Somewhere I found a source for some linear actuators for the lifting mechanism - can't remember where off hand but I'm sure I could find them again if you where interested.....

Yea I was kinda of thinking that the 3/8 inch plate on the side with that angle is the possibly the key. I am building a log house in Alaska and the road is hard pack and just terrible,I was thinking if I dragged That thing over it enough that would do it. So I am not into dropping a grand or having it shipped to Alaska either,,,, but mostly a fun thing to build. Yes Sir if you have that link.

try
    www.surpluscenter.com
    they have all kinds of 12v actuators and hydraulics if you want to go that way.
    if ya figure out a plan be shore to share it with us.

i like the DR plan, its spikes should break up even hard packed dirt roads with enough wait and a few extra trips.
    maybe ask for the catalog on it and see if it gives you enough views to put a plan together.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Quote Originally Posted by fun4now View Post
    try
    www.surpluscenter.com
    they have all kinds of 12v actuators and hydraulics if you want to go that way.
    if ya figure out a plan be shore to share it with us.

i like the DR plan, its spikes should break up even hard packed dirt roads with enough wait and a few extra trips.
    maybe ask for the catalog on it and see if it gives you enough views to put a plan together.
    Yep - that was where I found them "surplus center"

Yes I was looking at that one nite,,,, the surplus catalog. I Think all the grader is,,,is a 3/8ths thick plate cut at an angle so the fulcrum is to the rear. Now,,,,I am not sure how those front teeth are attached, so that little hrdraulic ram pushes the teeth in the dirt. It appears to be attached to one side of the grader which means there must be a pretty good sized pin on the other with some sort of inner frame. I will draw something on paint and see what you guys think. Idea,,,,use rail road spikes and face harden them for the teeth?