Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

alha,wireburner, weld13 and all the rest of you guys.
    cool...
    James, big thing in "stealing" music, was "Napster." You probably heard of that one...All kinds of lawsuits started happening. "Limewire" is one of the favorites now, and these guys can tell you other people's favorites. These are all websites that people use to put their favorite music on the internet and share it with other, thus the term "shareware."
    Real basic question, how much do you have to spend. Let's start with that.
    Music can be gotten for free, but we need to know what you can afford and get first, so we can know what device or will memory you will have,how much memory you will need is dependant on how many songs your wife needs.
    Guys, can you give James a more direct response of Ipods,or other devices
    like Ipods with info of exact cost/memory/etc.? I wish I was more into it like you guys...
    thanks
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time

Quote Originally Posted by fun4now View Post
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    thats what i was afraid of.
    MP3 collection?? whats that???
    you outlined my biggest problem right there, where dose she get the tunes to load, how to load, will the one i get be usable by us or just send us into a spending spree to try to make it work after we get it??
    or is there some thing simple we can put a few Hr's worth of stuff in and just let it play on a loop?? that would be the best solution. as for MP3 file??? not even shore what it is much less if our comp can convert to it?? we have win. XP so i suspect it will convert or maybe we could find a free ware program to do it for us? it would be nice to take some of here CD's and load them on the comp. and then into the i-pod or whatever we get??
    some thing simple would be best no question about it.
    type.J.K.
    So I take it thats a no on an existing MP3 collection
    Do you have CDs that you would like to convert? If so, you might want to check out winamp - http://www.winamp.com/ (there is a freeware version)
    It is a good MP3 player for your computer, plus it will copy your CDs and convert them to MP3s (just pop in the CD and click RIP). Winamp will also help manage your MP3 player. My BAD, I just checked and the you need the Pro version to convert CDs to MP3s ($14.95). (Dark Side tip - search for "winamp 5.32" at http://astalavista.box.sk/ - I hope you have a pop-up blocker and try to ignore the p0rn ads - try they links that have "serial" in the name)

If you don't have any CDs (or not that many) you may want to consider one of the services available for downloading music. Here are a couple articles about the various download services (the articles are a little old, but still relevent)
    http://reviews.digitaltrends.com/print_guide33.html
    http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...129TX1K0000532

The biggest downside to these services is DRM (Digital Rights Management - basically the files you download can only be played on certain devices or the computer you downloaded them on). I don't really know much about the using DRMed files since I refuse to pay for something that limits my use of it.

If you want to turn to the dark side, you can try downloading music from a P2P (peer-to-peer) network. My personal favorite is the eDonkey network - I use eMule as the client - http://www.emule-project.net/home/perl/general.cgi?l=1

Quote Originally Posted by fun4now View Post
    i was thinking some thing like this from wally world would be good if we can load it ?? but don't know diddly about the thing or the file type needed ??
    http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=5412055
    talk about lost in the dark ages. its safe to say no computer geeks in this house, were more the find a geek and beat him up till he helps type.J.K.
    From the description, it is a 1 GB (will hold about 500 songs) player supporting MP3 files.

I hope that this was not too overwhelming. It certainly is more complicated than it needs to be. Good luck.
    Dynasty 200DX
    MM252 w/ Spoolmatic 30A
    Spectrum 675

Default Cheap converting of existing CD's

If you already have an existing CD collection the easiest way to convert it to a compressed digital format is using the Windows Media Player. It is relatively simple, insert a cd into the cd drive, open the Media Player, go to the rip menu and select the tracks you want, the start the ripping process. Once it starts ripping all you have to do is sit and watch it work, but you might want to have something else to do in between depending on how many cd's you have. There are also other options in the options menu of the Player that allow you to select the quality of the music. If it is just for casual listening 128kbs in MP3 or WMA format should be fine, you might be able to get away with as low as 96kbs in WMA format. If you do one thing, make sure you change it from the default 64kbs, or risk having your favourite songs mutilated.

As for as memory types, most players have built in memory and only need a usb port on the computer to connect, and many have their own cables.
    Dynasty 200DX, first generation
    Makita 5" grinder
    Makita 14" abrasive saw
    IR SS5L compressor
    Whole bunch of hand/air tools.
    and a wish list a mile long

ah....grumpy42....guy
    Do you have CDs that you would like to convert? If so, you might want to check out winamp - http://www.winamp.com/ (there is a freeware version)
    It is a good MP3 player for your computer, plus it will copy your CDs and convert them to MP3s (just pop in the CD and click RIP). Winamp will also help manage your MP3 player. My BAD, I just checked and the you need the Pro version to convert CDs to MP3s ($14.95). (Dark Side tip - search for "winamp 5.32" at http://astalavista.box.sk/ - I hope you have a pop-up blocker and try to ignore the p0rn ads - try they links that have "serial" in the name)

If you don't have any CDs (or not that many) you may want to consider one of the services available for downloading music. Here are a couple articles about the various download services (the articles are a little old, but still relevent)
    http://reviews.digitaltrends.com/print_guide33.html
    http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...129TX1K0000532

The biggest downside to these services is DRM (Digital Rights Management - basically the files you download can only be played on certain devices or the computer you downloaded them on). I don't really know much about the using DRMed files since I refuse to pay for something that limits my use of it.
    Here Here to that, grumpy

Winamp is a good one........James.

Now, thats what I'm talking bout.....in the freeware/shareware stuff.

But, the newer ipods........
    Oh heck, check these out james.
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...=Google+Search

P.S.: The Smiley Question
    If you want to control the web instead of the web controlling you......GET Firefox and some of the extensions for it....Start with the recommended extensions....Plus get an extension called "smiley extra" to handle all of your smiley needs!

A. It's free

B. It's faster than Internet Exploder

C. I firmly believe that its more secure

Otherwise

A. On the smiley thing

1. I have to explain to some... That you will have to .....upload a batch of smiley images to a image server,
    .....like "photobucket.com"

2. I then have to explain... The left bracket button,"term",right bracket button,"whatever it is",the left bracket button,the slash button,"term",the right bracket button..... of BBcode.

3. Sheesh

For Those Whom Want Less Troubles

Get The Fox
    and get smiley extra

r90s
    Last edited by r90s; 07-16-2007 at 04:02 AM.

thanks r90s,
    showoff
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time

Default Ha Ha

Quote Originally Posted by Bert View Post
    thanks r90s,
    showoff
    Those other guys wrote the code.

I'm just a poor lowly user...

Well, been waiting on James to re-enter the convo here, you still interested in getting a personal music device? Pop on in and we can try to help you some more

yes still interested, and thanks a bunch for the info its really helped me get an idea of what i have to look for so i don't end up with a piece-o-junk or even a good one i cant load.
    i looked around on e-bay a lil and came up with some no name imports i think?? with view screens and 2MB memories that was of interest till i was told above not to mess with the cheapo imports???
    i think most likely we will just look close ar the wally-world $29 or $39 version. probably the $39 sports one i put up a link to. we really don't need all the extras like a screen with pic. and movie ability's, just want to put in some songs for her to here at work and still be able to get up without dumping it on the floor.
    i'll have to check into format's and what it takes to change them. i know the new harry potter book is coming out soon and we will be getting it on CD so we will have to convert it some how to get it in there for her.
    we are big fans of the book's not so happy with the movies.
    thanks again for all the help, i really did not realize what all i had missed by not keeping up...... ....to think i thought 8 tracks were old fogies stuff, no it looks like CD's are the old fogies stuff.

thanks also for the smilies info, wile it almost looks like he was hijacking the tread off in a new direction i too had asked him about them. so don't get on him about posting about it here, although off this subject it was asked for.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Quote: fun4now
    thanks also for the smilies info, wile it almost looks like he was hijacking the tread off in a new direction i too had asked him about them. so don't get on him about posting about it here, although off this subject it was asked for.
    Thanks James,
    No, I have no interest in hijacking the thread, but I've been asked about that in a bunch of places, and on the other board too.

I can't show anyone on the board, because if I use the code it will show up as the effect and you won't see the code, same thing in a PM.

I can't send everyone that asked an email, but I guess I can shoot um to this link if it comes up again.

r90s
    Last edited by r90s; 07-17-2007 at 01:19 PM.

Exclamation

I just put songs on my puter from cds , then add them to my mp3, but I left my mp3 in my mom`s car 1 day & it was hott well you know the rest of the story OPPS , you can turn it on but you hit play & it turns it`self oFF

Inferno Forge

Chris