Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

I was in IT for quite a while and a confirmed gadget geek, was going to post a nice eloquent response, but grumpy42 beat me to it. Looks like he found a good solution.

What he said.

With technology, sometimes complex is ok, but most times simpler is better.

Question about sum's it up.

Do you have an existing mp3 collection or do you plan on converting your on CDs? Or, do you plan on purchasing online via one of the various services (e.g. iTunes)? If you plan on purchasing online, you need to decide what service you want to use and purchase a player that supports that service (e.g. ipod designed to be used in conjunction with iTunes).
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    thats what i was afraid of.
    MP3 collection?? whats that???
    you outlined my biggest problem right there, where dose she get the tunes to load, how to load, will the one i get be usable by us or just send us into a spending spree to try to make it work after we get it??
    or is there some thing simple we can put a few Hr's worth of stuff in and just let it play on a loop?? that would be the best solution. as for MP3 file??? not even shore what it is much less if our comp can convert to it?? we have win. XP so i suspect it will convert or maybe we could find a free ware program to do it for us? it would be nice to take some of here CD's and load them on the comp. and then into the i-pod or whatever we get??
    some thing simple would be best no question about it.

i was thinking some thing like this from wally world would be good if we can load it ?? but don't know diddly about the thing or the file type needed ??
    http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=5412055
    talk about lost in the dark ages. its safe to say no computer geeks in this house, were more the find a geek and beat him up till he helps type.J.K.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Supposedly the software that comes with an iPod will allow you to convert your CD collection?

You'd can also buy (or steal) new music from the Internet.
    Last edited by MAC702; 07-15-2007 at 09:39 AM.

Default Try again with some tips.

Hi,
    You didn't say how sorry you felt for my poor typing fingers. I usually call um ****! fingers when I type.

MP3 is a compression format to make music files smaller without losing much quality it's one of several formats, but it is good and somewhat universal.

The new i_pods now handle many of these formats.

the Ipod will come with Itunes, but there is much freeware that is available for easy download to handle your needs.

Freeware is often as good if not better than pay for!

Do U have a usb port?

U can google "ipod software and find mucho stuff.
    the software will have a graphical display, and help files.

Forums avaiable- all over for help. U know like this one...

All this stuff is simple when U know it, kinda like welding.

Besides I want to here your welding podcast.....

NO, you don't have to steal your wifes ipod, you will use some free software to up-load the podcast to a podcast site..

Good Luck.... and I hope your bad back is feeling better than my bad back, right now!

PS:
    You guys are helping me catch up on welding.. so I don't mind helping when I can.
    Last edited by r90s; 07-15-2007 at 09:36 AM. Reason: I wanted to

Quote Originally Posted by fun4now View Post
    ...i was thinking some thing like this from wally world would be good if we can load it ?? but don't know diddly about the thing or the file type needed ??
    http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=5412055
    That has an integrated flash memory and would be required to be loaded through a USB port on your computer.

Looks decent and worth trying, actually.

It will also record onto .mp3 from FM.
    Last edited by MAC702; 07-15-2007 at 09:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    That has an integrated flash memory and would be required to be loaded through a USB port on your computer.

Looks decent and worth trying, actually.

It will also record onto .mp3 from FM.
    Usually u will have to use a usb flash card burner to put the songs on with. maybe sony preburns albums. Oh my!

The sony stick types, I think sony if fixin to give up on those(just for info), so watch out for those.

Can't hold much- generally with flash- but depends on type.

Songs anything you can get on your computer, you can send to Ipod.

You can come in analog through sound card. From LP stereo, if you have to.

Convert to digital mp3 with free software, and shoot to ipod.

All kinds of things can be done, but to not waste money be sure to check up on everything envolving any hardware you might need.

Free software, If one is not so good, Get Another....

See There, and I typed as fast as I could

P.S. Looked at unit... what do you have in digital radio stations, in your area?
    Last edited by r90s; 07-15-2007 at 10:18 AM. Reason: Guy beat me on a point....speed demon.

ok, lets ask some simple questions. do you have music now, that you want to hear on the portable player? You mentioned your wife has issues with the portable CD player banging around, so that leads me to believe you/she has a collection of CD's to listen to. To be able to listen to them, you will have to get them into a format that will work on the new device. CD's use the .wav format, which is the best sound, but the biggest file size.

You would want them to be smaller, otherwise you would get only 1-2 CD's on the device you're looking at. To shrink them (like we do with the pic files we post here, it makes em smaller) you need to do something called ripping. that just takes the music from a bigger file size to a smaller size. You lose a little in quality, but the size is 10x smaller (from 10-15 meg to 500k-2 meg) That way you can get a lot of songs on your small device. This is what you need to do to get your music from your CDs to your player.

You can also purchase or "find" music on the web, there are a number of services that sell it, and you can also get it from other sources, but you can't vouch for their quality or even if they are clean (viri and other assorted nasties).

Let's start with this question and we can then move on to devices, etc.

Default Go fellow

Help James out, alha.
    Its been a while since I have used windoz much, but I know their is free software (rippers) for it too

looks like james is in good hands.
    Last edited by r90s; 07-15-2007 at 10:31 AM.

ok start with basics ipods and mp3 players only use mp3`s. mp3`s are a type of audio file that is super compressed so u can get save space and get better music quality. Most of my music i get off limewire cause im lazy and dont buy too many cds cause then i gotta make em mp3`s afterward. if u use limewire u dont have to convert but ive done it to alot of the music ive had
    welding...its awsome

Quote Originally Posted by r90s View Post
    Help James out, alha.
    Its been a while since I have used windoz much, but I know their is free software (rippers) for it too

looks like james is in good hands.
    Glad to, I'm heading out now to a family thing this afternoon, I'll pick it up when I get home after dinner, if he still needs my assistance. I have a couple ideas for him, won't need to be a geek to do them, but will have to do a little work on the computer. Nothing to heavy duty, though.