Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Pro Pulse vs. Accu-Pulse

It appears that the Pipe Pro 450 RFC and the Axcess 450 are built on the same chassis and likely share virtually all of their hardware.

Can anyone tell me the difference between Pro Pulse on the Pipe Pro and Accu-Pulse on the Axcess Systems?

Both seem to hinge on pulsing with a shorter arc than traditional high voltage spray transfer pulsing; but not so short as to get into short circuiting like RMD does. Since the architecture of the PipePro/ Axcess machines are so similar, could it be that Pro/Accu Pulse are basically the same thing? Could a welder tell the difference between "Pro" and "Accu" in a blind test?

The PipePro 450 RFC and the Axcess are both built on the same "platform". They are both very sophisticated in their concept and design. The benefit is that the programs are very customizable(is that a word?). The difference in the machines are the markets they are built for. For manufacturing regular parts day in and day out where a wire feed process is used then I would go with the Axcess. The programs are built for speed, we are constantly working to drive the welding speed up, 60 and 70 inches per minute is a common request we get in the automatic welding arena. Most robotic applications are running in the 35 to 50 ipm window right now. I have been as high as 85 inches per minute with the right gas, wire, program combination. I don't think 100 ipm is going to be a ceiling for it. The Axcess works great in an environment where efficiency is being measured, production costs are known and the benefits of a highly controllable machine can be tracked.

If you are a pipe shop that is going to mig, TIG stick, gouge etc then I would used the PipePro. The two markets are quite different from what their needs are and the programs are built to meet the specifics of what they need. Speed is not the main request. Ease of use, reduction of processes, like getting away from a TIG root. Trigger select to change program without going back to the machine are the heavy hitters.

Would someone be able to tell the difference between the arcs if they were running them by hand? Probably not for the speeds they are running. Remember though that for pipe 99% of the weld is out of position and the programs have to be built that way. The RMD programs will feel like there is no difference.

That was a great background on the machines. I personally am a tinsmith in skilled trades for one of the big three (knock on wood) with a personal shop in a pole barn on my farm. I have many projects for myself and if the economy slows enough I might consider side work but I hate all the ramifications like needing liability insurance and having some idiot from the county wanting to tax as light commercial instead of agricultural. You can't put up a shingle, any kind of sign and you will get a visit within a month. If you pour concrete in an ag building without a permit - somehow they find out... I think all the ready mix suppliers are in cohoots with county officials to make sure that they don't get in trouble. You have to buy bags slowly and mix it up yourself and pour late at night. And wall off your shop from the rest of your shed to make sure other farmers don't see it and talk.

anyway. for a guy adding to his personal shop, it looks like the axcess has all the potential. While I generally shy away from bells and whistles... I am intrigued enough by Miller's innovations to want to play with the features and expand my horizons. It is the most readily available and lowest in price on the secondary market - thanks in no small part to the economy. Pipepro's are harder to come by second hand and the oil and refining market may still hold sway over these machines - though it looks like that may soon change. I have all the tig capability I need with my XMT 350 CC/CV for steel and stainless and Dynasty 200DX for lighter stuff and aluminum.

I'm a little bit concerned about Miller discontinuing the PipePro in it's past form in favor of the PipeWorx system that is relegated to 3-Phase without AutoLine. Not every light industrial complex offers 3 phase. Seems like a step backwards to me even if the machine is supposed to be more user friendly. Plus it looks heavier and more bulky/awkward and restricted to a shop environment. Probably Pipe Shops can't sell customers on changing their code to allow RMD roots in the field. That and you probably have to carry and put up a tent on every field job which will cut into welder's bottom lines - wire feed will always be hard outdoors unless it is the most beautiful of days (days you would rather not be working) Also, pipe is one industry that really resists anything new.

Thanks again. I would never have even considered the Axcess for manual use without this dialogue. My only complaint is that the feeders work off of 40V instead of the the customary 24V. I have a 75-DXA that I absolutely love. It works great with my XMT 350 CC/CV.

Why on earth would they have the two 40V/24V feeder voltage architectures...just to be different and make people churn their equipment line??? If the machines' engineering work out better with a 40V circuit, fine; but then why not offer a step-down control unit like the WC-24 Weld Control (Stock #137549)???

Good questions on the pipeworx and Axcess lines.

The Pipeworx was designed for a specific market and if it fits into other areas then it is worth making it available. It was designed specifically for the pipe shops.

For a 40 volt motor on the Axcess family, think torque and robustness of design. The Axcess feeder also is a synchronized feeder with the power source where they communicate to offer an optimized solution during the welding process. The machine is sampling the data feedback and making appropriate power changes to supply the arc that was asked for. To do all of that a 24 volt system didn't offer enough power.