Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Thanks!

Well I am just really glad to have happened onto this thread. My month old Syncrowave 200 has been making the same sound and driving me nuts. I was sure that I had a gas leak, but how was that possible with the cylinder valve fully closed? Who would have thought that the points could make a sound that perfectly mimics a gas leak! Glad that I did not tear a new machine into a thousand pieces looking for a gas leak.

Any guys with Sync 200's that can answer this?
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time

Quote Originally Posted by Bert View Post
    Any guys with Sync 200's that can answer this?
    Check posts 9 and 10.

Quote Originally Posted by ttype View Post
    Forgot to mention, hissing noise is when not striking an arc.
    phila.renewal has the correct answer !

Ran into a Miller warrenty guy by accident, & was informed the hissing noise is the high frequency trying to start the arc.
    I think I under stand what you are saying. You stomp the foot feet to strike an arc but it doesnt strike, instead makes a hissing noise. You can also hold the torch in the air and it will make the same noise when you push down on the pedal (your neighboors will love you for that). That would be the HF. It will also make a noise kinda like that in AC, because the HF is on all the time in AC. The HF start the arc in DC then shuts off.

Heres another vote for high frequency noise. Nothing to worry about unless you are a computer or a phone line.
    Rich Ferguson
    Sales Technician
    Jackson Welding Supply Co.
    "Keep America Strong.....Weld It"
    www.jacksonweldingsupply.com

Phila and Ace,
    thanks
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time

I have a Syncro 200 and every sound it makes is new to me.......never have tigged before. But..........when I lay down a good bead........all those sounds
    become wonderful.........THANKS Miller for the sounds. Some new guys ask on what their speed should be........not being an expert, I can relate it to running a caulking bead............don't move untill the desired amount of material is deposited. If you can move while applying in a smooth fluid movement,.....great. Just pulling a trigger does not make magic..........control makes magic. Look a KB FAB's and others welds and I'm sure they don't close
    their eyes, pull the trigger and hollar sh1tt, and hope the weld comes out OK.
    Sorry to have rattled on..............Nick

PS not really!

the hissing that you hear is the spark gap on the other side of the machine.
    this is normal. its not a gas leak. I thought the same too until i did some exploring. Uncanny how an arc can sound like a gas leak....

The weld puddle pops & bubbles during the weld, so post flow shouldnt be the problem
    Hey ttype,

I know this thread was started a very long time ago, but have you ever found your problem? I have the exact same thing that just happened to me... very frustrating... Thanks, hope this message finds you