Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

turbo38t Guest

Default My first aluminum tig job at work.

I pie cut the ducts on a Detroit Diesel air cooler to spread them apart an inch and a half. Used a Lincoln Tig 300 with watercooler and 4043 to welded it up. I think 5356 would have been a better choice but the boss wanted it done with what he had....so the unfortunate part I was stuck trying to use 4043 and a balled Thoriated Tungsten.....it didn't come out too pretty. I know thoriated isn't the right tungsten for the job and I can see why now. Dave
    Attached Images Attached Images

Don't be too hard on yourself, it doesn't look so bad.
    Sometimes the bottom line is that it works good and I'm sure the customer will be happy!
    at home:
    2012 325 Trailblazer EFI with Excel power
    2007 302 Trailblazer with the Robin FOR SALE
    2008 Suitcase 12RC
    Spoolmatic 30A
    WC-24
    2009 Dynasty 200DX
    2000 XMT 304
    2008 Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
    Sold:MM130XP
    Sold:MM 251
    Sold:CST 280

at work:
    Invision 350MP
    Dynasty 350
    Millermatic 350P
    Retired:Shopmaster 300 with a HF-251

turbo38t Guest

The customer is my boss LOL. I wanted to clean it up he said it was good enough. LOL.
    Quote Originally Posted by c wagner View Post
    Don't be too hard on yourself, it doesn't look so bad.
    Sometimes the bottom line is that it works good and I'm sure the customer will be happy!

Why did you ball it?

I never ball my thoriated when I use it on aluminum, and it's practically the only tungsten I ever use (transformer machine, no less).
    Syncrowave 250DX
    Invison 354MP
    XR Control and 30A

Airco MED20 feeder
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 81
    Smith O/A rig
    And more machinery than you can shake a 7018 rod at

As c wagner says "don't be too hard on yourself".
    Seeing as the weld looks to be on Aluminium castings then 4043 is the filler I would choose as well, I find it to be a little more "user friendly" for castings.
    If that was my 1st go at work I would be very happy with the results and so should you be.
    Now just tell your boss you want to do all the tig work that comes in and go for it.
    Regards Andrew from Oz.
    We are tig welders, gravity doesn't worry us.

Miller Dynasty 350 Tig.
    OTC AVP300 AC/DC 300 amp hybrid wave Tig. (now retired)
    Kemppi MLS 2300 230amp AC/DC Tig for home with all the bells and whistles.

turbo38t Guest

Thanks. We don't have much tig work at all to do. I balled it cause the one that was there was balled. It didn't seem right to me, but the guy that left was a really good tig guy. The balled thoriated doesn't work so well though LOL. It splinters/cracks at the ball. I thought my school welding teacher told me 5356 is better for cast. I remember welding some 1/16" cast stuff from home depot in school and 4043 wouldn't hardly bond. It worked out good so far on this cooler. Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by awill4x4 View Post
    As c wagner says "don't be too hard on yourself".
    Seeing as the weld looks to be on Aluminium castings then 4043 is the filler I would choose as well, I find it to be a little more "user friendly" for castings.
    If that was my 1st go at work I would be very happy with the results and so should you be.
    Now just tell your boss you want to do all the tig work that comes in and go for it.
    Regards Andrew from Oz.

Quote Originally Posted by turbo38t View Post
    Thanks. We don't have much tig work at all to do. I balled it cause the one that was there was balled. It didn't seem right to me, but the guy that left was a really good tig guy. The balled thoriated doesn't work so well though LOL. It splinters/cracks at the ball. I thought my school welding teacher told me 5356 is better for cast. I remember welding some 1/16" cast stuff from home depot in school and 4043 wouldn't hardly bond. It worked out good so far on this cooler. Dave
    4043 is the "go to" cast rod for sure and if it doesn't weld/fuse you could about bet 5356 would be a step in the wrong direction. Then it starts to get expensive after that. Nice job BTW

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
    SPEEDGLAS 9100XX

Quote Originally Posted by turbo38t View Post
    I think 5356 would have been a better choice...
    I would be concerned with 5356 if the temperature gets above 150 degrees. formation of Al2Mg at elevated temperatures at the grain boundaries makes this alloy prone to stress corrosion.

Miller Thunderbolt
    Smith Oxyacetylene Torch
    Miller Dynasty 200DX
    Lincoln SP-250 MIG Welder
    Clausing/Coldchester 15" Lathe
    16" DuAll Saw
    15" Drill Press
    7" x 9" Swivel Head Horizontal Band Saw
    20 Ton Arbor Press
    Bridgeport