Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Somebody tried to steal my truck

Somebody tried to steal my 2003 ford F350 this moring, couldn't get it started though tried to cut out my alarm system, starter kill kicked in. So truck is still there, now all I have to do is get another ignition lock.

No damage other than a couple wires off my siren and the ignition lock.

Right in front of my house, didn't hear the siren go off.

Thanks to the last guy who had his welding truck ripped off, a day later I had a full system installed!

cruizer,

I am glad they did NOT get your truck! Thieves are usually ruthless. Sounds like you had it pretty well secured. I hope there are a few extra precautions you can take in case they come back.

I know how you feel. I had a '68 factory stock Chevy Camaro stolen out of driveway. I never even heard them. This was many years ago and alarms were really not heard of-at least from what I remember.

Good luck fixing her up. A few wires and ignition should not be a big deal. Again good luck on repairs and thank goodness it was not stolen.

Apparently he or they got in by the drivers door, just twisted the lock on the door open, solved that today by removing both door locks and installing door handles like I have on my back doors without the lock mechanism, never used them anyways. Can't get through my back window as there is cargo rack bars in the way.

Now they either have to smash a window, or tow it.

Never the less the automatic starter kill is handy.

Man... thats stinks, glad they failed, i often worry about my cables being grabbed, we had a run of thefts here, people were breaking in to houses and cutting out the copper pipes for scrap! I had some guy steal 2,200lbs of new aluminum from my shop... i bought cameras the next day... long story short, he came back and i bagged him, now he's trying to say that he's the victim, because he had to pay restitution... makes no sense!
    Kelly

Trailblazer 301D
    2 XMT 304's
    Dynasty 300 Tigrunner
    Spectrum 2050
    XR with ALUMA-PRO
    12RC suitcase
    Millermatic 251
    60a feeder
    Ellis 1600
    Bridgeport
    16" southbend
    Too many Hand tools...

An extra relay run off a switch to kill the power to the fuel pump is also another helpfull and hide-able way to slow them down too.

Most all of my cars have some weird security that i've built where you must turn something on to get starter power or a hidden switch that kills a relay that i added to the fuel pump system.

this won't stop a tow truck, but it will slow down your average car thief enough to usually frustrate them out of taking your ride.
    Dynasty 200DX
    Hobart Handler 135
    Smith MB55A-510 O/A setup
    Lathe/Mill/Bandsaw
    Hypertherm Powermax 45
    Just about every other hand tool you can imagine

Quote Originally Posted by Bodybagger View Post

...Vehicles

people are watching you and they want to steal your truck! All they need is for you to take your eyes off it...

...Use a remote fuel shut off or a remote control battery shutoff. These countermeasures won't stop them, especially if they tow it... but if they are trying to boost it, it just makes it take longer and increases the chances that they will get caught in the act...
    It's getting cold and theives are getting pretty bold. I'm glad to hear your stuff didn't get ripped off.

I would have been happier, though, if you caught the dirtbag in the act and administered the punishment for theft as prescribed by Sharia law.

80% of failures are from 20% of causes
    Never compromise your principles today in the name of furthering them in the future.
    "All I ever wanted was an honest week's pay for an honest day's work." -Sgt. Bilko
    "We are generally better persuaded by reasons we discover ourselves than by those given to us by others." -Pascal
    "Since we cannot know all that there is to be known about anything, we ought to know a little about everything." -Pascal

I dont understand how you replaced your door latches. Do have a pic or two?
    Who do you call when the lawmakers ignore the law?

Miller AC/DC Thunderbolt 225
    Miller 180 w/Autoset
    Old cutting torch on LPG

Quote Originally Posted by pyro2 View Post
    ...... long story short, he came back and i bagged him, now he's trying to say that he's the victim, because he had to pay restitution......
    Here's one vote to say we should get the long story now...

Cool

really glad you still have the truck. looks like the system payed for its self after all, never have to wonder if it was worth it now.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Glad they didn't succeed.

As the economies turn down, we'll have more and more of this.
    Just a few weeks ago, someone went around to all the
    unlocked cars in my neighborhood and cleaned them out
    of loose change, GPS's, etc. They were very nice, they
    didn't break into any cars or do any damage -- but
    if it wasn't nailed down, it was theirs...

Frank