Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Idea's for my high school

I am a Tech Ed Teacher from New Holstein Wisconsin. i currently have a few cool projects that i have the students do but i would love to hear your ideas. to check out my little website i got thru school click below

http://www.nhsd.k12.wi.us/hs/Webpage...ite/index.html

Here is a picture of the first project they make. it works great and is real easy to make. (hopefully the picture showed up)

thanks,

Ted
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thumbs up nfinch86-Canadian Weldor :

Quote Originally Posted by Tech ed Ted View Post
    I am a Tech Ed Teacher from New Holstein Wisconsin. i currently have a few cool projects that i have the students do but i would love to hear your ideas. to check out my little website i got thru school click below

http://www.nhsd.k12.wi.us/hs/Webpage...ite/index.html

Here is a picture of the first project they make. it works great and is real easy to make. (hopefully the picture showed up)

thanks,

Ted
    Ted, HI; Looks Great, I gather it's a Stand for Hunting?? Did your Students Weld this in School?? As far as Projects Go I Have Lot s, Just Haven't figured How to Put them up on the Forum , I've Been Welding 40+Yrs., Computers NOT SO LONG!!!! Without TEACHERS Where would we be ?? Keep Up The Good Work of Educating the NEXT Generation !!!!....... Norm :

Sunrise Outside My Shop In Delhi, Ontario

- Arcair- K 4000 CAC.

- LN-25 Wire Feeder

- Lincoln Ranger 8- Engine Drive- CC\CV:

- Lincoln Power Mig 180C
    - Spoolgun.
    - DeWalt Chop Saw .
    - DeWalt Compressor - 13cfm, @ 100 psi.

www.normsmobilewelding.blogspot.com

Ted I'd put the kids minds to work.
    There is something simple they can cut/weld up that is of interest to them.
    It can be a simple guitar stand for the rockers, a computer stand for the geeks (if you have any in a welding class), The car/truck/motorcycle guys always have something to weld up, the AG guys too, The rifle/pistol/bow guys need target holders or simple folding benchrests, something as simple as a set of bookends (skulls, horses, whatever they like), on and on it goes.
    I think that a project related to a kids interests is more compelling than a off the shelf one size fits all project. Makes more work for the instructor but might be worth it.
    Mom's always like a cool set of candleholders (again skulls, horses, musical note, whatever interests them). Around here Mom's like tortilla pans, you can make cool griddle pans with plate and small round stock and a chipping hammer ham
    ndle. Your griddle pan can have a conventional pattern of rows, or skulls, horses, flames, a Colt single action army silluette.
    Dad's always like a cool garden hose spool (skulls, horses, yet again ; ))
    Outside/inside wall hangings based on indian symbolism is popular around here, several stores sell this stuff.
    Pipe, cut in half and with a decorative image cut out (skulls, horses lizards, guitars again), plate welded to the back and a cheap light fixture installed make good outside lights on the garage, ect.
    Anyone with a fireplace can use a good homemade set of fire irons.
    If you keep your eyes open there is no end to what you'll find.
    Things that are usefull to Mom/Dad are specially good.
    If you copy or come up with your own "really" high quality Christmas tree holder, you will have so many greatfull parents you won't know what to do with them. These things sell for well over $100 bucks and are easy/cheap to make.
    I could go on forever but I won't.

Good luck with it, we need those young mechanical minds learning welding skills.

John

Those little firewood holders, boot scrapers for the back porch. dinner triangles like on the old chuckwagon, spits and large grills for Dads/Moms who cook on campfires, decorative hangers for those backyard bug zappers, mobiles of all sorts, wind chimes, simple outdoor furniture (look at home depot), bacon press, Like I said...I could go on and on.

Coat racks, boot drying racks, we had a Dad make a blocking sled for the football team when I was in H.S. (thanks Mr. Wright! Go Vikings!), garden benches, birdbaths, I'm done now.

Porch swings, end tables, grill accessory tables, stepstools, headache racks, fire rings, saw horses.
    Those simple adjustable rifle rests that hold a sandbag, clothesline posts, midieval hanging light fixtures, creative mailboxes.

Pipe/tube saw horses that hold a (replacable) 2X4, those neat cargo racks that go on a reciever hitch, I'd be leary of the danger/liability of HS students making weight lifting equipment but they could build low to the ground racks to hold plates, those big high lay on top creepers made for working under the hood of a car/truck are super simple and really neat I looked at one this week, little trailers for lawn mowers/small tractors, trellis' for Mom's roses,
    Last edited by JTMcC; 11-17-2008 at 08:12 PM.
    Some days you eat the bear. And some days the bear eats you.

Nice stand, well done!

They can always try to run amok doing yard art, there is a lot on this forum and the hobart one.

Mike

Miller 140 w A/S
    HF 90 Amp Flux Core
    Dewalt Chop Saw
    Smith O/A Torch
    Ryobi, HF grinders

Harley Electra Glide Classic

Check out the Welding Projects on this site.(not the projects forum that we are on now)
    Click on the green box to the right where it says "go to Welding Projects"
    There is a ton of cool stuff there, you could have your students brows through it and pick a project, then you would have to decide if it is in their skill range.
    To all who contribute to this board.
    My sincere thanks , Pete.

Pureox OA
    Westinghouse 300 amp AC stick
    Miller Syncrowave 250
    Hexacon 250 watt solder iron

Quote Originally Posted by FormerTankSarge View Post
    Nice stand, well done!

They can always try to run amok doing yard art, there is a lot on this forum and the hobart one.

Mike
    Which Hobart Site I am a HIWT grad and have never seen anything on any of their websites The Schools or the Companies

Default thanks for the help

Norm, it's good to hear some positive feedback about teachers. thanks.

thanks to you others who sent me some ideas. I checked out the welding projects on the site. they have some pretty good ideas on there. Being that i teach CAD also makes me want to adjust some of the prints i seen but either way, knowing where to find them will come in handy.

sincerely,

Ted

Hi

Welcome to the forum. Besides what's been posted in reply to your
    note, browse around through the postings here -- there's lots of
    ideas. I also suggest signing up on the Hobart forum
    (www.hobartwelders.com/mboard).

As to ideas for things to make
    - plant/garden stands of various types. my wife loves the extra-large
    tomato hoops i made her.
    - racks/shelving/organizers for garages and basements. something
    like this might be hard to transport, so the intellectual challenge
    would be to make it disassemblable
    - work benches & welding tables and power-tool stands
    - desk organizers. there was one posted on either the miller
    or hobart sites within the past month or so that was pretty
    neat.
    - furniture. mixing materials -- metal/wood/plastic/etc can
    be pretty neat.

Another reason to weld is to fix things -- so maybe the kids
    can bring in their broken garden tools, lawn chairs, etc,
    for repair.

Good luck

Frank

I wonder how much you could get out of a Christmas tree holder with skulls on it?
    Who do you call when the lawmakers ignore the law?

Miller AC/DC Thunderbolt 225
    Miller 180 w/Autoset
    Old cutting torch on LPG

Talking Welding Instructor

I too teach welding at a High school in Chicopee Mass. I understand your issues on projects for the students. They must be interesting to the students and you don't want them doing 4,5,or 6 different projects at a time or you'll drive yourself NUTS!!! Every student learns at different levels and you should have about 2 to three projects for these levels. When they get more proficient at working with the tools then they can branch out to do projects that they can do at their own skill levels.

email: mdouville@chicopee.k12.ma.us