Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Just looked it up.. LC495741 - so late 2003. I am SOL...
    ________
    Solo Vaporite
    Last edited by captain bondo; 03-25-2011 at 02:51 PM.

Even though I really like the Dynasty 200dx, Everyone I know that has one, seems to have this same arc starting issue... including me. It definitely helps to have a tungsten that will draw blood for DC. and the smallest possible tapered 2% thor or lanthanated for AC.

Just to clarify my prior post...I wasn't saying the 200DX has points. I only know that my 300DX does have a set of points on the HF board. Apparently the 200DX and the 300DX have a different HF starter board. I hope I didn't give you a false sense of hope Captain Bondo. Best of luck!
    Mark Thompson
    Arc Tech Welding

I have had cable connections that were tight and looked great but were faulty and when taken apart and reworked performed much better.
    That might not be your problem I realize.
    I guess you know that you can increase your start-up volts.

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
    SPEEDGLAS 9100XX

Our Dynasty 350 here in Australia which is only 3 weeks old has exactly the same problem, we are not very happy
    It is the poorest excuse for HF starting I've seen in any machine.
    Regards Andrew from Oz.
    We are tig welders, gravity doesn't worry us.

Miller Dynasty 350 Tig.
    OTC AVP300 AC/DC 300 amp hybrid wave Tig. (now retired)
    Kemppi MLS 2300 230amp AC/DC Tig for home with all the bells and whistles.

Quote Originally Posted by captain bondo View Post
    Just looked it up.. LC495741 - so late 2003. I am SOL...
    5-13-2003 to be exact

The arc starter board# is 189939 and lists out at $400.28US

I thought miller was warrantying arc starting problems past the expiration date??

My unit is a 2005, never had a problem.
    Dynasty 200 DX
    Millermatic 175
    Spectrum 375
    All kinds of Smith OA gear

Quote Originally Posted by Laiky View Post
    I thought miller was warrantying arc starting problems past the expiration date??

My unit is a 2005, never had a problem.
    I learned how to set mine from a thread we had about that very thing and did what KB Fab said and after that it was great...you can tune them...it ain't rocket science. It's all in the manual also.

Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    SPEEDGLAS 9100XX

I had the same problem on my Dynasty 200 DX. The HF got weaker and weaker. After a while I had to sand the tip of the tungsten to get it to start. Eventually the HF stopped completely. I brought it back under warentee and they changed the HF board. My arc is back the way it was when the machine was new. It has been seven months since it was repaired and the arc can still jump across 3/4". I wonder how many bad HF boards there are out there on the Dynasty 200 DX. Seems like a lot of 200 DX owners have this same problem.

I believe that you can change the starting current but I don't believe that you can change the intensity of the HF on the 200 DX. Changing the start current doesn't really help establishing the arc. HF does that.

Miller Thunderbolt
    Smith Oxyacetylene Torch
    Miller Dynasty 200DX
    Lincoln SP-250 MIG Welder
    Clausing/Coldchester 15" Lathe
    16" DuAll Saw
    15" Drill Press
    7" x 9" Swivel Head Horizontal Band Saw
    20 Ton Arbor Press
    Bridgeport

Quote Originally Posted by Don52 View Post
    I had the same problem on my Dynasty 200 DX. The HF got weaker and weaker. After a while I had to sand the tip of the tungsten to get it to start. Eventually the HF stopped completely. I brought it back under warentee and they changed the HF board. My arc is back the way it was when the machine was new. It has been seven months since it was repaired and the arc can still jump across 3/4". I wonder how many bad HF boards there are out there on the Dynasty 200 DX. Seems like a lot of 200 DX owners have this same problem.

I believe that you can change the starting current but I don't believe that you can change the intensity of the HF on the 200 DX. Changing the start current doesn't really help establishing the arc. HF does that.
    Very true Don52....BUT....there is a bunch of people who seem to come on this forum and say that they actually see and hear the HF jumping but still use whatever tungsten they feel like and act like they are totally incapable of getting into the menu or even cracking open a manual for that matter. I bet we have had a dozen or so threads on this very subject with almost no one saying they did what members advised. It just adds to the mystic of the Dynasty 200 having starting problems when it truth it is nothing more than operator error.
    If they would simply get up from their computer and try to systematically eliminate the causes rather than just waste electrons on the internet this forum wouldn't be so stinkin' redundant.
    For those who have legitimate problems I apologize...but I do feel that part of this problem lies in the fact that many Dynasty 200 owners are in an income bracket that can easily afford a welder this expensive for a hobby toy and are absolutely clueless when it comes to welding.

Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    SPEEDGLAS 9100XX