Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

[QUOTE=FusionKing;Personally I wonder why people in Austalia would even buy a welder made halfway around the world? I don't know anything about those brands of welders that you have and promote but I know they would be hard for me to get and even harder to find service I suspect.:[/QUOTE]
    You can't be serious ? You don't know about Kemppi or OTC? Man are you missing out!!
    [QUOTE=FusionKing; I just spent most of my morning at the LWS surrounded by Miller Esab and Lincoln machines so I haven't the foggiest notion of what really goes on...I dream it all up in my head[/QUOTE]

I just spent most of my morning at the drag strip surrounded by race cars that must make me an expert racer

We in Australia buy machines from dealers here that sell and service machines such as Miller,Lincoln,Kemppi,Esab,Fronius,Cigweld
    We don't get hung up on the red an blue argument because we have access to the full rang of welding machine colours
    Last edited by TRIKFAB; 11-23-2008 at 04:46 AM. Reason: xx

Doesn't that just wreck your day!

Mine just gave up as well! No more HF arc start period. My 200DX has 2hrs 04min on it It was bought in Aug 05. I have two other MIG welder so never used this much until I started to work with stainless. SN is LF169431.

I have tightened every external connection and tried all new parts. No luck.
    Anybody know where this elusive HF board is located? Can't find it in the manual. Also, is the HF start board used to switch a IGBT?

Cheers!

I hope your having a better day than me

Since coming to this forum to research the dynasty i had to scratch, save and sell some body parts to get, i've had the fear of the bad HF board in my mind since.

I will agree that alot of dynasty owners may have large enough bank accounts and a flare for shiny objects while lacking most if not all common sense. But then again there's people like the OP and myself who have small businesses and took a chance when spending our hard earned money to get what should be a superior unit ( and is IMO)

I cna't say that i've had any real starting issues. sometimes i may have to scratch the tungsten on the welding table to get a nice easy start, but the unit will do a HF start like it's supposed to with that small exception. IT's something i can live with but apparently many people have legitimate issues with their units.

I hope my "pre-scratch" that i ahve to do now and then isn't the start of soemthign way more serious, but until the unit stops starting by use of HF i will keep it and happily weld away.

I'm only adding to this because it reminds me of a factory flaw in the mitsubishi 7 bolt 4g63 motor that i run and so do many others. There were many reports of "crankwalk" where the thrust bearing pre-maturely wears, or falls apart sending the cranks trigeer teeth to colide with the pick up and ruining it. After several legit instances now everyone with a 7 bolt based motor automatically throws "crankwalk" out there and immediately starts looking for an older 6bolt motor to convert to, when in all actuality the amunt of true cases i've seen probably only account for about 8-9% of the total posts i've seen of people crying crankwalk, crankwalk!

My point, check all the basics first, try a few un-orthadox techniques, if you feel you truely have an issue, take it up with miller or the placethaht sold you the welder.. it IS taken care of by miller when there is an issuw with the machine. OTher than that many people are wasting time and frustrating others. I cna see both sides from my stand point, so those who have to put up with these threads daily..relax, there's a lot of people that just get scared their new toy is broken too easily. For those crying "crankwalk", i agree with what's been said..get off your keyboard, try adn check things and if that don't work..walk past the computer and forums, pick up a phone and call miller or your LWS...

there..got that all out :P
    Dynasty 200DX
    Hobart Handler 135
    Smith MB55A-510 O/A setup
    Lathe/Mill/Bandsaw
    Hypertherm Powermax 45
    Just about every other hand tool you can imagine

a frosted tungsten (needing a scratch to start) is one thing that comes up.
    any idea as to what causes the frosting of the tungsten ?? low gas flow ?? too high gas flow ??? wrong tungsten?? wrong settings ??? cheap or bad tungsten ??? is there a way to reduce the chances of frosting a tungs ???

as for the HF board ??? seems like a bad batch went out years ago and Miller knew what welders got it and was happy to replace it. but that was a short run, not an on going problem as i understood it.
    Shredon
    with an older unit with low Hrs on it i would recommend a call to Miller to see if you fall into that run. if so i suspect they would replace it even after the warranty is passed. never hurts to make a call. the TIG guys have always gotten great comments from all that do call them. a few minuets on the phone could save you a bunch of trouble.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Here's an update to my Dynasty 350 HF starting issues, Miller replaced the HF board then the HF coil and still I had to pre scratch the tungsten to get it to start most of the time. They have now decided to give up trying to fix the worlds most expensive scratch start machine and replace my Dynasty 350 with a new one on the 5th of Jan or I could have a full refund. I have decided to take the replacement
    Miller dynasty 350 Tigrunner
    Kemppi MLS 2300 ac/dc
    Kemppi Mastertig 2000 ac/dc
    Kemppi FastMig KM300
    Cigweld transmig 320SP

Quote Originally Posted by TRIKFAB View Post
    Here's an update to my Dynasty 350 HF starting issues, Miller replaced the HF board then the HF coil and still I had to pre scratch the tungsten to get it to start most of the time. They have now decided to give up trying to fix the worlds most expensive scratch start machine and replace my Dynasty 350 with a new one on the 5th of Jan or I could have a full refund. I have decided to take the replacement

I would DEMAND one from new inventory and not settle for anything less
    Tell them it's either that or the cash!!

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
    SPEEDGLAS 9100XX

Quote Originally Posted by FusionKing View Post
    I would DEMAND one from new inventory and not settle for anything less
    Tell them it's either that or the cash!!
    I am getting one directly from the states as they only order the 350 for sales not stock so there is none in the country to replace mine with.
    I will post an update when I get the new machine and let you know if it's better.
    Kemppi MLS 2300 ac/dc
    Kemppi FastMig KM300
    Cigweld transmig 320SP

I'm one who'll be interested in what you have to say.

I'd be a whole lot more interested to hear a detailed and candid evaluation of this situation by a Miller engineer presently assigned to these particular machines. I had been about to buy a 200DX, which by all reports is a terrific machine when it's working right, but which appears to have such frequent and not-yet-resolved problems as to have become a black eye for a company we otherwise respect.

Don't know what happened here?
    Let's try that again!
    Last edited by TRIKFAB; 12-27-2008 at 03:25 PM. Reason: double post
    Kemppi MLS 2300 ac/dc
    Kemppi FastMig KM300
    Cigweld transmig 320SP

From what I have managed to find out Miller know they have a rather large issue with the hf starting on the 200dx
    I hope the issue I have is specific to my machine and doesn’t turn out to be an inherent design flaw with the type of HF hardware used in the 200 and 350
    I would suggest that if anyone has a starting issue with a 200dx get it checked out! It may not be operator error or inexperience as mentioned earlier in this thread.
    The 4 months I have put up with this pain in the ass machine has cost me a fortune in productivity not to mention the frustration of a semi working welder.
    This is my first Miller product and to this point I regret the purchase
    So far my arthritic “Dynasty 350 Tigrunner” needed a walking frame to perform !
    I hope on the 5th of Jan my replacement 350 changes my attitude toward the Dynasty 350

Turboglenn my machine started out the same way and progressivly got worse!
    Last edited by TRIKFAB; 12-27-2008 at 03:34 PM. Reason: addition
    Kemppi MLS 2300 ac/dc
    Kemppi FastMig KM300
    Cigweld transmig 320SP