Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Exclamation loose lips sink ships, loose leads melt wire.

i agree with checking all the connections. i was having trouble with starts, even getting power supply help codes.
    popped open the din's connectors to find my work lead was loose and my HF was sparking inside and burning up the wire. it was not a great fit so i took a car battery cable end and cut off the crimp end to put around the wire then clamped it back in. no problems after that. when i first tightened it up it just pushed the main part of the wire out of the way of the clamping bolt. the crimp ring made a much better clamp.
    they do make the crimps for the din's connectors, i found out after . no idea the $$ , but the battery clamp was near home and an easy cheap fix.

this may not be your problem, but still worth a quick check. lose connections can do strange and bad things.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Quote Originally Posted by FusionKing View Post
    For those who have legitimate problems I apologize...but I do feel that part of this problem lies in the fact that many Dynasty 200 owners are in an income bracket that can easily afford a welder this expensive for a hobby toy and are absolutely clueless when it comes to welding.
    Indeed!
    Dynasty 350DX
    Dynasty 200DX TigRunner
    MM 350P
    MM Passport Plus
    Spectrum 375 Extreme
    08' Trailblazer 302

Thanks for the info cruizer- that's less that I had feared. If it turns out Miller is still warranteeing this specific problem as some suggested that's even better. I will continue to play with setting and connections in hopes of a cure at least until such day as it quits entirely.

But what do I know, I've been exposed as a some manner of welding yuppie who knows nothing and just likes shiny objects, especially if they have flashing lights. Crap.

Presumption aside, I originally posted wanting to know if there was anything to check inside the machine, and if anyone knew what the replacemnet cost so that I could try to put some money aside in case I need it. In other words

I was willing to take the machine apart myself and fix the problem if it was possible. Otherwise I was looking for an idea of how much of my extra millions of trust fund dollars I should set aside if it should break while welding some bling onto my rolls royce.

But hey I could always just sell my french poodle or one of my gold rolexes if need be so no biggie.

There, sarcastic enough for you?

It was a huge stretch for me to buy this machine FWIW. I run a little business and decided I would take a gamble that the portability would help pay for itself by being able to pick up work outside the shop.
    ________
    Head shop
    Last edited by captain bondo; 03-25-2011 at 02:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by captain bondo View Post
    Thanks for the info cruizer- that's less that I had feared. If it turns out Miller is still warranteeing this specific problem as some suggested that's even better. I will continue to play with setting and connections in hopes of a cure at least until such day as it quits entirely.

But what do I know, I've been exposed as a some manner of welding yuppie who knows nothing and just likes shiny objects, especially if they have flashing lights.

Presumption aside, I originally posted wanting to know if there was anything to check inside the machine, and if anyone knew what the replacemnet cost so that I could try to put some money aside in case I need it. In other words

I was willing to take the machine apart myself and fix the problem if it was possible. Otherwise I was looking for an idea of how much of my extra millions of trust fund dollars I should set aside if it should break while welding some bling onto my rolls royce.

But hey I could always just sell my french poodle or one of my gold rolexes if need be so no biggie.

There, sarcastic enough for you?

It was a huge stretch for me to buy this machine FWIW. I run a little business and decided I would take a gamble that the portability would help pay for itself by being able to pick up work outside the shop.
    That's exactly why I left you enuff wiggle room to get out of it
    All I'm getting at is these threads are a magnet for the kind of people I was refering to...If that ain't YOU then you are not the people I'm complaining about...hope you get it figured out so you can put it back to work
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller Spoolmate 200
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt
    SPEEDGLAS 9100XX

Ya I know- I was just having fun with it.

It's still earning it's keep- it's just finnicky.

Thanks again guys for all the help. I do need to play with the hot start parameters, it's encouraging to hear that worked fr some people. When I was searched I seemed to read a lot of responses where it had no effect.

I will keep this updated as I test/discover things. If I cna fix it and help debunk an issue that has ben exaggerated then that would be good for everyone.
    ________
    Granny british
    Last edited by captain bondo; 03-25-2011 at 02:52 PM.

For those who have legitimate problems I apologize...but I do feel that part of this problem lies in the fact that many Dynasty 200 owners are in an income bracket that can easily afford a welder this expensive for a hobby toy and are absolutely clueless when it comes to welding.
    I dont know if this is an insult or I am taking this the wrong way. I am new to welding, learning and do a lot of research. I have watched a bazilliion videos and am taking a class even this weekend. However, when I run in to a problem, its nice to come here and ask pros who do this day in and day out. sometimes real world answers are better than the book. (Kind of like the flow rates for the gas are always reccomended different on here than in the miller manual)

I do however have a dyn 200, so should I have not bought this machine because I am new to welding. lol If thats your thought, then that is pretty sad. If I am taking this the wrong way, then I appologize.

I race cars, and after you build something, and then realize the parts you used need upgraded to do the next best thing, you learn to just get the right stuff from the beginning. I bought a dyn because it will do everything I will EVER need and then some. I didnt want to be limited and figured that was worth an extra 800 or so.
    mm 210
    dynasty 200dx

Very true Don52....BUT....there is a bunch of people who seem to come on this forum and say that they actually see and hear the HF jumping but still use whatever tungsten they feel like and act like they are totally incapable of getting into the menu or even cracking open a manual for that matter. I bet we have had a dozen or so threads on this very subject with almost no one saying they did what members advised. It just adds to the mystic of the Dynasty 200 having starting problems when it truth it is nothing more than operator error.
    If they would simply get up from their computer and try to systematically eliminate the causes rather than just waste electrons on the internet this forum wouldn't be so stinkin' redundant.
    What an insensitive crock of shiat!
    People are complaining about a problem in the machine that appears to be common throughout the Dynasty range. On our brand new 350 it's exactly the same, no matter what parameters are changed via the menu (we can also read the manual too) it doesn't make a scrap of difference. Thoriated, Zirconated, Ceriated, Lanthanated tungstens we've got them and tried them all, no difference in HF starting. Changing starting current ditto, change EP start to EN start also no difference.
    2 tech guys out and both scratching their heads and saying it should light up better than it does and now their talking about changing boards.
    I've been using inverters for about 8+ years now (and tigging for much longer than that) and the HF start on our 350 is CR@P.
    I asked a friend today how his Dynasty 200 DX was on HF starts and he has the same problems and he's nearly as experienced as me and tried all the things I've tried.
    FusionKing, you can't seem to get your head around the fact there may be a problem, other people complain about this and you claim "operator error" BULLTISH. People want their problem machines fixed and not get told it's their fault when it's obviously not.
    Regards Andrew from Oz.
    We are tig welders, gravity doesn't worry us.

Miller Dynasty 350 Tig.
    OTC AVP300 AC/DC 300 amp hybrid wave Tig. (now retired)
    Kemppi MLS 2300 230amp AC/DC Tig for home with all the bells and whistles.

Quote Originally Posted by awill4x4 View Post
    What an insensitive crock of shiat!
    People are complaining about a problem in the machine that appears to be common throughout the Dynasty range. On our brand new 350 it's exactly the same, no matter what parameters are changed via the menu (we can also read the manual too) it doesn't make a scrap of difference. Thoriated, Zirconated, Ceriated, Lanthanated tungstens we've got them and tried them all, no difference in HF starting. Changing starting current ditto, change EP start to EN start also no difference.
    2 tech guys out and both scratching their heads and saying it should light up better than it does and now their talking about changing boards.
    I've been using inverters for about 8+ years now (and tigging for much longer than that) and the HF start on our 350 is CR@P.
    I asked a friend today how his Dynasty 200 DX was on HF starts and he has the same problems and he's nearly as experienced as me and tried all the things I've tried.
    FusionKing, you can't seem to get your head around the fact there may be a problem, other people complain about this and you claim "operator error" BULLTISH. People want their problem machines fixed and not get told it's their fault when it's obviously not.
    Regards Andrew from Oz.
    I BELIEVE YOU ARE JUMPING TO CONCLUSIONS!!!
    CAN you read what you are even quoting??
    I said right there I apologize if you have tried all those things and still have a problem..what more can I say??
    Do you realize just how many times people do come on here and complain before trying or reading anything??
    You don't even fit the description of that but somehow you react like this??
    Thanks so I guess from now on when anybody comes on here and complains about there Dynasty whatever has a starting problem we will simply tell them to send it back to MILLER!
    I do not doubt that your machine has a problem..I have read your posts and seen your work and have been impressed. I've even tried some of your settings. It sounds to me that your techs need to get it together a little better. "Talking" about changing a board won't fix anything. As for your friend with the 200 unless you are the dude trying to use it then it's only heresay IMO.
    Personally I wonder why people in Austalia would even buy a welder made halfway around the world? I don't know anything about those brands of welders that you have and promote but I know they would be hard for me to get and even harder to find service I suspect.
    And I understand your frustration over your machine not working correctly or even being designed wrong as you say.
    But I also am VERY aware of the amount of dudes who hear about a potential problem and assume that they are gonna have it also.
    I guess I should'a said "in their case" when I was refering to people too lazy to get up try to solve their problems. Myself...I'll try about anything before sending my machine to sit in a repair shop and loose money.
    I don't see the problem being 100% on Miller or the owners either but rather a case by case situation that you get with any newer type technology.
    Just my take on it. I just spent most of my morning at the LWS surrounded by Miller Esab and Lincoln machines so I haven't the foggiest notion of what really goes on...I dream it all up in my head
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller Spoolmate 200
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt
    SPEEDGLAS 9100XX

I am in the income bracket that allows me to save for a year, then charge the rest and pay it off over several months while i scrimp some more. I am also in the income bracket that doesn't allow me to own a suitable workspace, so portability and 110 makes a dyn very attractive. Although i had never TIG welded before i bought my dynasty, i did do a lot of research. i also have been in the mechanical and technical fields since i was 14 years old, so i'm no stranger to equipment and know to buy something of quality instead of junk. Oh yeah, and since when i bought the unit i didn't know how to weld or anyone who could help me, i found the willingness of the experts here to help a great resource. But that was before people here were looked down on for not being full time "Weldors". i know that the comments were not directed at me, but they have been in the past. There are too many on this board who seen to be annoyed by the less experienced who come here, and granted some don't really try, but those who feel that way are not obligated to bother either.
    Dynasty 200 DX
    Millermatic 175
    Spectrum 375
    All kinds of Smith OA gear

Lightbulb "New Threads"

I think we've worn this thread out, maybe we should start a new one....