Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Playing with my 200 DX - Pictures included. :)

Wanted to post earlier today but the computer was tweaking out or it may have been the miller message boards... kept getting the "wrong password has been entered you need to wait 15 minutes" run around.

So I posted on the Hobart board... so now because I know some of you don't frequent there (and I'm sure some do...) I will repost it here...

Please do chime in.

Here's a copy and paste:

"Had to weld some full-open corner joints using 1/4 steel, running my 200 DX on 110. I decided on multiple passes and a final weld to cover all of it. I think it's called a cap weld? Also in the pics is my Tig Torch holder I made out of Aluminum when I was still in school.

Though I took TIG in school I hardly use it at work (I only took about 24 days of Tig welding at school, it was a short summer course, I have no previous experience at all), at work we mainly use MIG and now at my new job I only use MIG on Aluminum. Not sure if some of you remember I first landed a job working with sheet metal of all kinds. The place I worked at sucked in every way (management etc), though I did learn some and learned plenty of lessons while there.

Now I work at a place that builds Aluminum boats, so everything I do is spray! It's fun, I like it, great company to work for, building boats is fun and spraying Aluminum is even better! I like it! Here is where I work. http://www.safeboats.com

Anyhow, back to the pictures, I don't have much time on the TIG, but I try. I did a single pass first (root pass?) then followed with two passes side by side and then one top pass.

Oh quick question, though I got some penetration on the back side (nothing burned, it kind of looks like a mini flat mig weld about a little smaller than 1/8 inch wide) should I throw a single pass fillet weld on the back side of the open corner joint? These are to be brackets for a cable railing. The top will serve as a base which will hold 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 inch square tubing.

Another question, when welding on the square tubing should I weld all sides or just two sides? I was thinking all sides for strength and uniformity? Probably more for visual uniformity...

Any constructive comments are welcome!

Regards,

Alexander"

Photo's below...

YOU WORK AT SAFEBOATS???!!!! COOL!!!!!!!!!!! I don't know, Fusionking and the like can chime in....welds look pretty darn good!!!!!!!!
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time

Looks pretty good, I had to do some 1/4 1018 steel the other day all at 90* angles and used the same weld pass technique you did with great results. I did a small root pass, then 2 more filler passes like you show, then on some of them i tried a "cap" but didn't think that it looked as good as the two filler passes.

Being that appearance was some what important after trying to "cap" a couple of them i just stuck to using 2 filler welds on the rest of the parts from there.

How many amps were you using? Since 1/4 inch is .250 and the 200dx can't reach the 1 amp per .001 material. You said it was running one 110/115 so i take it you were in the 150 amp or less range. I can get them to go pretty good at 150, but prefer to run them at about 180 on that thickness. ( i know ...too low for everyone about to shime in on what i said LOL)
    Dynasty 200DX
    Hobart Handler 135
    Smith MB55A-510 O/A setup
    Lathe/Mill/Bandsaw
    Hypertherm Powermax 45
    Just about every other hand tool you can imagine

Nice work
    Check out the adjustable hitch thread by TigMan 250 on SFT...the welds are quite similar and it's for pulling a pulling sled on a 4WD truck.
    As for welds, I would go with making sure it is somewhat convex and no undercut.
    On the square tubing, welding it so that it lets in the least moisture would be formost in my thinking esp. if outdoors.
    Of course it's much easier to critique someones work once it's completed (and I'm sure not doing that...more like admiring)

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
    SPEEDGLAS 9100XX

Thumbs up

nice work, cool torch holder.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Thanks for all the replies and tips.

I was just welding at 150 amps, it just took a little longer but I was getting a good puddle every time. Just slower going and lots of Argon wasted...