Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Are the arcs where the tip holder part is cut with a plasma or bandsaw?
    I just used my sabre saw. I haven't purchased a band saw or plasma cutter (yet).

I'm surprised that's such a large torch for jewelry. I thought it would be one of those micro victor sets i see at the LWS all the time.
    The Smith Silversmith Jewelry Torch is the same one that is used in her class with acetylene/air. She is using the smallest size 00 tip. The oxy-acetylene torches such as the Smith "little torch" are very popular but have a small hot flame. Her teacher says that they are actually harder to use.

Just curious does she do any other welding or metal working, like TIG, MIG etc..?
    She hasn't got into Tig or Mig yet. Her two studio classes require a lot of time and keep her busy. Her other studio class is silk screening. Her last major project was a 3,000 piece stained glass window, which was 5' x 5' that she soldered, but that was done with a soldering iron, not a torch. Attached is a link to the finished work. It is actually a large flower.

I have to agree with everyone else about the glasses, so tell her "alot of people you know worry" maybe that'll help :P
    She said that she would wear her safety glasses in the future. Thanks for all the concerns and personal stories.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Miller Thunderbolt
    Smith Oxyacetylene Torch
    Miller Dynasty 200DX
    Lincoln SP-250 MIG Welder
    Clausing/Coldchester 15" Lathe
    16" DuAll Saw
    15" Drill Press
    7" x 9" Swivel Head Horizontal Band Saw
    20 Ton Arbor Press
    Bridgeport

Nice stand. I like that you added a place for all the accessories. Makes it an all-in-one carrier -- unlike my Victor portable O/A tank kit.

Quote Originally Posted by Bert View Post
    Wish they had classes like that in Hawaii
    Try Linekona School or Art Academy or whatever they're called these days.

Nice job on the tank holder!

Miller 140 w A/S
    HF 90 Amp Flux Core
    Dewalt Chop Saw
    Smith O/A Torch
    Ryobi, HF grinders

Harley Electra Glide Classic

That's a great looking stand!

On small torches: I got a Meco Midget last year and I'm really impressed with it. It's bigger than a Smith "little torch" but smaller than the jeweler's air/fuel torch. You don't really need the temp of O/A for most jewelry work, but it's become my go-to torch for small silver brazing projects and working with thin gauge materials. O/A lets you do some things that aren't possible with just air/fuel. (I don't endorse smoking - the pack of cigs under the torch is just for scale.)

then why did you have pack cigs handy?

Thumbs up Excellent Job

Hey Don: Outstanding work! The kitty cat in the first picture looks very curious!

Exclamation

metalmeltr then why did you have pack cigs handy?
    he never said he did not smoke, just that he dose not endorse smoking. big difference.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

that's ok....he "didn't inhale".....
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time

Quote Originally Posted by davedarragh View Post
    Hey Don: Outstanding work! The kitty cat in the first picture looks very curious!
    My cat's name is "Murr". We named her that because she doesn't meow she just says "Murr". She is my constant companion and follows me all around the house. When I am on the computer she takes a nap on my desktop between the monitor and the keyboard. You are correct, she is very curious. When no one is home she sits near the window and pays attention to everything going on outside.
    Last edited by Don52; 11-24-2008 at 06:16 PM.

Miller Thunderbolt
    Smith Oxyacetylene Torch
    Miller Dynasty 200DX
    Lincoln SP-250 MIG Welder
    Clausing/Coldchester 15" Lathe
    16" DuAll Saw
    15" Drill Press
    7" x 9" Swivel Head Horizontal Band Saw
    20 Ton Arbor Press
    Bridgeport

Don, looks like she's just laying there, saying "Daddy, I love you"....
    and "when are you going to the fridge to get me some milk?"
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time