Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Flyingpig View Post
    Im jealous. Even your wooden welding table is better than the one Ive got. Oh thats right Im still kneeling on the concrete to do my stuff.
    You're in Hawaii?? I don't remember seeing you in MY garage!!!
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time

You inadvertantly had it displayed in the pics!

OOPS!!! Wrong wooden welding table.
    Who do you call when the lawmakers ignore the law?

Miller AC/DC Thunderbolt 225
    Miller 180 w/Autoset
    Old cutting torch on LPG

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan L View Post
    Here is a question. When tacking the brackets holding my power bar onto the table legs I had a hard time to say the least.

With thin metal and thick metal how do you get a good tack? I set it up for low heat at first to prevent the thin metal from blowing apart but it was too cold and I got no penetration onto the thicker leg. Then I turned it up and got some stick to the leg but it literally blew a hole into the bracket. I eventually lucked out and got both to stick but I really need to learn how to do it properly.
    I'd pre-heat the thicker piece, split the difference in heat/speed settings, and do a 60/40 distribution. It depends on the difference in materials.

Thumbs up

Really nice looking table, should be very sturdy!

Miller 140 w A/S
    HF 90 Amp Flux Core
    Dewalt Chop Saw
    Smith O/A Torch
    Ryobi, HF grinders

Harley Electra Glide Classic

Here is a question. When tacking the brackets holding my power bar onto the table legs I had a hard time to say the least.

With thin metal and thick metal how do you get a good tack? I set it up for low heat at first to prevent the thin metal from blowing apart but it was too cold and I got no penetration onto the thicker leg. Then I turned it up and got some stick to the leg but it literally blew a hole into the bracket. I eventually lucked out and got both to stick but I really need to learn how to do it properly.
    I try and set it up for maybe 25% less than what I would use for the heavier metal, concentrate the heat on the heavier piece, and then just sort of flip the bead over onto the lighter stuff. Maybe spend 75% of the time on the heavy piece and 25% on the lighter part. that seems to work for me.
    Millermatic 180 Auto Set

Myself I leave it set hot enuff for the thicker stuff. I concentrate the start on the thick material and merge over to the thin and when I see it "wet in" I stop. Then I'll use both hands and if needed add a few more tacks to heat sink the thin piece so I can lay a nice hot bead without burning away the corners in the process. It is acquired and takes practice. Where a pro would have a welder set would be very difficult at best for a newbie. Just remember more tacks transfers the heat out of the thin part. HTH
    I like your table so much I may just about copy it. What I have now isn't really working all that great these days and I have enuff junk laying around to make almost exactly what you have built. Only change would be 3/8ths top and 2 1/2" legs 'cause I have that already. I also have the wheels and the angle. now I have the vision also ...thanks
    The bad part about welding for a living is getting motivated to do something for yourself becomes increasingly harder the longer you go...sorta like a carpenter's house or a mechanics car
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller Spoolmate 200
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt
    SPEEDGLAS 9100XX

Quote Originally Posted by FormerTankSarge View Post
    Really nice looking table, should be very sturdy!
    X2! Looks good!!!

turbo38t Guest

Hmmm....interesting comment.....what is a "pretty" weld? I can look at welds that some would call pretty and tell you right away what is wrong with them. It's easy to see fusion/burn in in a weld. Cold lap is the quickest giveaway that it's a "pretty" weld.....but an experienced guy should be able to tell. Also, I have since passed a vertical up test with .035 on 3/8" plate welding downhill. Lot of guys on hear say it can't be done over 1/4" but test proves it. It's all in puddle control , speed and knowledge. Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by ABYSS View Post
    Ugly welds??? Looks arent everything, I can show you pleanty of guys that weld pretty but there weld quality is horrid (kinda like smearing icing on a cake)

I would rather have ugly welds that hold vesus pretty welds that dont. Welding is a art keep practicing and it will more than likely get smoother. But if it doesnt dont wory about it too much.

There are pleanty of welders out there that there welds arent pretty but the pass XRAY and stress testing with flying colors

Quote Originally Posted by FusionKing View Post
    ....sorta like a carpenter's house or a mechanics car
    LOL!!! you're showing your age with a quote like that!!!
    I tell the young guys that, and they look at me in awe how I knew stuff like that or how many people I know, to know that stuff!!!
    1) The Maid had the messiest house
    2) The Carpenter's house always needs fixing
    3) The Mechanics car is always breaking down...
    he he he......
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time

Quote Originally Posted by Bert View Post
    LOL!!! you're showing your age with a quote like that!!!
    I tell the young guys that, and they look at me in awe how I knew stuff like that or how many people I know, to know that stuff!!!
    1) The Maid had the messiest house
    2) The Carpenter's house always needs fixing
    3) The Mechanics car is always breaking down...
    he he he......
    Yep and the welders things are nothing but a pile of metal
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller Spoolmate 200
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt
    SPEEDGLAS 9100XX