Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums
 
Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 34
  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Midland, Mi.
    Posts
    313

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fabricator View Post
    Dont really need much ,just find something round about 4 inches across and put it at the edges to lay out a mark. A steel edge pointing out like that is a bad thing especially with a child that is the same height.

    Got a lot of children running around in your shop do ya'??


    I myself wouldn't round off the corners, just keep the kids out of the shop. A lot of clamping goes on at the corners of tables and if the corners aint there, well...
    Last edited by TS-Off-Road; 11-16-2008 at 03:55 PM.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Delhi, Ontario:
    Posts
    1,970

    Default nfinch86-Canadian Weldor :

    Bryan L, HI; Great Looking Weldin Table,I'm Jealous TOO!! By the way where ya from ( Canada ) ??

    Sunrise Outside My Shop In Delhi, Ontario

    - Arcair- K 4000 CAC.

    - LN-25 Wire Feeder

    - Lincoln Ranger 8- Engine Drive- CC\CV:



    - Lincoln Power Mig 180C
    - Spoolgun.
    - DeWalt Chop Saw .
    - DeWalt Compressor - 13cfm, @ 100 psi.

    www.normsmobilewelding.blogspot.com

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    2

    Default

    This is actually Bryan l looks like something is wrong with the login because I keep getting a quota error on login from an IP in Nevada...

    anyway. I got some time today to finish off the table. Here are some pics.

    As per fabricator's recommendation I did round off the corners. Thanks fabricator.





  4. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nfinch86 View Post
    Bryan L, HI; Great Looking Weldin Table,I'm Jealous TOO!! By the way where ya from ( Canada ) ??
    thanks Im from a town west of Calgary. I know some of my welds are ugly but I am learning. the only "formal" training I have ever had was in high school. So not much. Project by project I am trying to learn.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    14

    Default no worries

    Quote Originally Posted by 0degreec View Post
    thanks Im from a town west of Calgary. I know some of my welds are ugly but I am learning. the only "formal" training I have ever had was in high school. So not much. Project by project I am trying to learn.

    Ugly welds??? Looks arent everything, I can show you pleanty of guys that weld pretty but there weld quality is horrid (kinda like smearing icing on a cake)

    I would rather have ugly welds that hold vesus pretty welds that dont. Welding is a art keep practicing and it will more than likely get smoother. But if it doesnt dont wory about it too much.

    There are pleanty of welders out there that there welds arent pretty but the pass XRAY and stress testing with flying colors
    Every question in life has an answer of

    YES OR NO

    Maybe = NO



    Keep life simple and enjoy it!

  6. #16

    Default

    I think that the biggest help for me so far was understanding what I am looking for when setting up my mig. My biggest problem was not having a high enough wire speed. I found my welds improved quite a lot once I figured out how to get the "bacon frying" sound coming from my torch .

    What I would love to do is watch a pro control the puddle.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    19

    Default

    I would run some 2 x 2 x 1/4 angle on the under side to keep it from warping over the years. About 1 foot apart and around the outside edge if you plan on doing any heating and bending work. in the middle I would lay them so the point goes towards the floor.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Lake of the Ozarks MO
    Posts
    3,559

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ABYSS View Post
    Ugly welds??? Looks arent everything, I can show you pleanty of guys that weld pretty but there weld quality is horrid (kinda like smearing icing on a cake)

    I would rather have ugly welds that hold vesus pretty welds that dont. Welding is a art keep practicing and it will more than likely get smoother. But if it doesnt dont wory about it too much.

    There are pleanty of welders out there that there welds arent pretty but the pass XRAY and stress testing with flying colors
    I somewhat agree and also wish to encourage the op on the nice table but I run across a lot more ugly welds that are busted and very few good looking ones that need fixing. I don't consider those welds ugly BTW.

    I guess maybe nowadays me tho... ugly and purty have become relative

    I refer a lot to some folks making "gorilla welds" meaning not anything extra as far as looks goes but obviously strong.
    But I am sure most people here know that just flat out sloppy welds won't hold much
    Good enough just don't happen at my shop very often but I could still improve on looks a bunch still.

    www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

    Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
    SPEEDGLAS 9100XX

  9. #19

    Default

    Here is a question. When tacking the brackets holding my power bar onto the table legs I had a hard time to say the least.

    With thin metal and thick metal how do you get a good tack? I set it up for low heat at first to prevent the thin metal from blowing apart but it was too cold and I got no penetration onto the thicker leg. Then I turned it up and got some stick to the leg but it literally blew a hole into the bracket. I eventually lucked out and got both to stick but I really need to learn how to do it properly.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    2,860

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bryan L View Post
    Here is a question. When tacking the brackets holding my power bar onto the table legs I had a hard time to say the least.

    With thin metal and thick metal how do you get a good tack? I set it up for low heat at first to prevent the thin metal from blowing apart but it was too cold and I got no penetration onto the thicker leg. Then I turned it up and got some stick to the leg but it literally blew a hole into the bracket. I eventually lucked out and got both to stick but I really need to learn how to do it properly.
    That's about it- you just have to find the happy medium. Start on the thicker material and then wash over to the thin stock.

    Brackets like this don't need a lot of penetration- just enough to hold it on there.
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Warning: Non-static method PhpQuickProfiler::getMicroTime() should not be called statically in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/pqp/classes/Console.php on line 77

Warning: Non-static method PhpQuickProfiler::getMicroTime() should not be called statically in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/pqp/classes/Console.php on line 77

Warning: Non-static method PhpQuickProfiler::getMicroTime() should not be called statically in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/pqp/classes/Console.php on line 77

Warning: Non-static method PhpQuickProfiler::getMicroTime() should not be called statically in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/pqp/classes/Console.php on line 77

Warning: Non-static method PhpQuickProfiler::getMicroTime() should not be called statically in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/pqp/classes/Console.php on line 77

Warning: Non-static method PhpQuickProfiler::getMicroTime() should not be called statically in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/pqp/classes/Console.php on line 77

Warning: Non-static method PhpQuickProfiler::getMicroTime() should not be called statically in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/pqp/classes/Console.php on line 77

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/footer.inc.php on line 82

Welding Projects

Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.