Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: electrode dryer

Hybrid View

Default electrode dryer

anyone have idea's or pictures on how to keep your rods dry and not burn something up or down my uncle uses a old mini-fridge and a heating element (i think a fire waiting to happen) but it works well for its purpose. let me know what ya'll think josh

If your not using the oven for a ton of rods..say you just have like 5lbs or so, a small portable oven should work just fine. You can get one around here for around $50 brand new.
    Attached Images Attached Images

oshua27818,
    Only electrodes that are low hydrogen need be kept in an oven. Non low hi electrodes require a certain amount of moisture to operate correctly.

Thumbs up $$$-Phoenix DryRod II Type 1-$$$

I just bought one of these for a little over $200 about 2 months ago, and it holds 10# of rods. I did quite a bit of research, Lenco, Keen, even Mathey Dearman. This one, I felt, was the best value for the money. It's square and won't roll around, and seems to be insulated fairly well. The bigger "hot boxes" are a little over my budget, and fortunately 7018's come in 5# & 10# packages. I'm happy.

I found quite a few different styles/ sizes on ebay a while ago..Jim
    Lincoln Powermig 255
    Hobart Stickmate AC/DC
    Miller AEAD 200LE
    Lincoln AC 225

Thumbs up nfinch86-Canadian Weldor:

Quote Originally Posted by joshua27818 View Post
    anyone have idea's or pictures on how to keep your rods dry and not burn something up or down my uncle uses a old mini-fridge and a heating element (i think a fire waiting to happen) but it works well for its purpose. let me know what ya'll think josh
    joshua, HI; I've Posted this Before, If it Helps I'll do it Again. I Dry my 7018's in the Oven in the House, I Heat them at 400-500* for 2-4Hrs., then turn the OVEN OFF!!! Leave them Stay in there TILL COOL ENOUGH TO TOUCH!!! I Then Remove them & STORE Them in Home Made ROD CONTAINERS!!! These are 18"-20" Long PVC. Tubes, One End is Permentally Sealed, The OTHER END has a Threaded On CAP!!
    When DRIED RODS are Put in these Containers they Stay Dry for A Good Long Time & I'm Not Lugging Around An Oven!!! I Hope This HELPS Some !!....... Norm :

Sunrise Outside My Shop In Delhi, Ontario

- Arcair- K 4000 CAC.

- LN-25 Wire Feeder

- Lincoln Ranger 8- Engine Drive- CC\CV:

- Lincoln Power Mig 180C
    - Spoolgun.
    - DeWalt Chop Saw .
    - DeWalt Compressor - 13cfm, @ 100 psi.

www.normsmobilewelding.blogspot.com

I always heard a refrigerator with a light bulb does a good job. It doesnt take a lot of bulb to keep it warm and dry.
    Who do you call when the lawmakers ignore the law?

Miller AC/DC Thunderbolt 225
    Miller 180 w/Autoset
    Old cutting torch on LPG

could you make a piece of pvc caped at one end with cleanout plug on other end with a vacume applied?

This comes up over and over, but a quick summary:

Most electrodes need no special storage, other than not keeping them from liquid water. As mentioned, many need a small bit of moisture in the flux for prop operation.

Low hydrogen rods do need proper storage to retain the lo-hy properties. For many jobs, it doesn't matter (non-code, light-weight, low-carbon where hydrogen cracking is unlikely)

Other than low carbon steel electrodes: Some types have very specific storage requirements. Read the literature.

Low Hydrogen electrodes (most commonly, XX18 types) need proper storage to retain the low hydrogen property as the flux is somewhat hygroscopic (will absorb moisture directly from the air). Moisture in the flux breaks down to hydrogen and oxygen in the arc, the hydrogen can dissolve in the weld metal, and lead to hydrogen cracking after the weld cools as the hydrogen comes out of solution. THE ONLY WAYS to keep these electrodes dry are 1) keep them in the factory sealed container (generally purged with a moisture free gas, or vacuum packed) and 2) AFTER opening, keep them at the proper temperature. The recommended storage temp is 250F (http://www.eng-tips.com/faqs.cfm?fid=1114). This insures that the temperature is high enough that the flux will not draw moisture from the air. (The required temp is actually specified as something like- this is from memory, don't quote me- 50F above the dew point, but 250F removes the need to monitor dew point in the oven). It IS NOT high enough to remove water that has been absorbed. This water chemically bonds into the flux (forms a hydrate), and a higher temperature 'rebake' is needed to recondition. Vacuum won't remove it, bright light won't remove it, too low a temperature won't remove it... Only a high enough temp rebake

Once the sealed container is open, if you arn't going to store them right, it really doesn't matter how you do store them, as long as you keep them from liquid water. It won't make a difference over even a few days. Even in a relatively low humidity area, at a temperature of 120F, the flux will still pull significant moisture from the air.

Storage tubes do protect the rods from liquid water, humid air that may rust them, mechanical damage to the flux, etc. and are real handy. They DO NOT preserve the low hydrogen property of lo-hy electrodes.
    Last edited by enlpck; 11-15-2008 at 10:47 AM.

Default nfinch86-Canadian Weldor:

Quote Originally Posted by metalmeltr View Post
    could you make a piece of pvc caped at one end with cleanout plug on other end with a vacume applied?
    " NO "

Sunrise Outside My Shop In Delhi, Ontario

- Arcair- K 4000 CAC.

- LN-25 Wire Feeder

- Lincoln Ranger 8- Engine Drive- CC\CV:

- Lincoln Power Mig 180C
    - Spoolgun.
    - DeWalt Chop Saw .
    - DeWalt Compressor - 13cfm, @ 100 psi.

www.normsmobilewelding.blogspot.com