Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Marketing solves your problem. How's about this:

"At [your company] we have listened to the input of the military and law enforcement community in order to make our entry tool as versatile as possible. For this reason we have intentionally left the back of our [combination battering ram/halligan tool thing] unenclosed so it also may serve duty as a munitions carrier in an emergency. The open top also serves as an transport device for removal and safe containment of hot smoke/tear gas grenade containers after training exercises.

The open backed feature which is unique to our tool also allows the end user the option of easily adding lead or concrete fill at a later date should your unit require a heavier ram for use in areas with exceptionally heavily reinforced entry points. The mass of our tool is sufficient for the majority of professionals we have consulted, but at [your company] we understand that unique operating environments sometimes require unique tools. Our open backed ram allows the end user to tailor the weight of the tool to his or her exact requirements. For recommendations and instructions on how to add weight to your ram, please see [print a manual or something]

We at [Your company] understand you may not want the flexibility and versatility an open backed ram allows. For this reason we offer "fully welded and enclosed" option at a nominal fee. Simply check this option on your order form and we will add a .125" A36 steel plate to the back of your ram for an additional [$20 sound right?].

turbo38t Guest

This is a liabilty in my opinion. Changing the design of the unit by adding wait/inserts etc could be a liabilty on the structural side of things. It's designed to be used a certain way and with certain procedures. They gave me a call last night and said the diamond plate cap on the end is the final design. Dave "The open backed feature which is unique to our tool also allows the end user the option of easily adding lead or concrete fill at a later date should your unit require a heavier ram for use in areas with exceptionally heavily reinforced entry points. The mass of our tool is sufficient for the majority of professionals we have consulted, but at [your company] we understand that unique operating environments sometimes require unique tools. Our open backed ram allows the end user to tailor the weight of the tool to his or her exact requirements. For recommendations and instructions on how to add weight to your ram, please see [print a manual or something"

Quote Originally Posted by turbo38t View Post
    The designers are the people that go in harm's way. They are police and swat members who started the company. Dave
    Wonder whats more important to the designers and owners of the company--money or lives?
    The definition of courage. "It's when you know you're licked before you begin, but you begin anyway and you see it through to the end no matter what." From "To Kill a Mockingbird"

turbo38t Guest

I want to have some positive feedback to your comments but every comment you have is negative. Are you saying that because a tool is functional that being good looking isn't acceptable? That's what it sounds like. The guys that designed this tool and others are die hard law enforcement officers. They are swat members as well ....live,eat and sleep this stuff. They are also the first to be concerned with product design, testing, improvement etc. And they would always have your back. Just because something works doesn't mean it can't look good too. They pride the function and appearance of their product. (Now I guess your looking for some other words of mine to turn around and post negatively on, eh?) Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
    Wonder whats more important to the designers and owners of the company--money or lives?

Quote Originally Posted by turbo38t View Post
    I want to have some positive feedback to your comments but every comment you have is negative. Are you saying that because a tool is functional that being good looking isn't acceptable? That's what it sounds like. The guys that designed this tool and others are die hard law enforcement officers. They are swat members as well ....live,eat and sleep this stuff. They are also the first to be concerned with product design, testing, improvement etc. And they would always have your back. Just because something works doesn't mean it can't look good too. They pride the function and appearance of their product. (Now I guess your looking for some other words of mine to turn around and post negatively on, eh?) Dave
    Just so you know where I came from I have over 38 years of law enforcement experience. Now my question is what is your real reason asking for advice on this forum? You received numerous suggestions yet . . . oh forget it your mind is already set.
    The definition of courage. "It's when you know you're licked before you begin, but you begin anyway and you see it through to the end no matter what." From "To Kill a Mockingbird"

Default Door Knocker

Looked at your ram and I would use a 1" plate on the front. I would also (next Time) install a pipe around the round stock in the hand grip areas so that it rotates in the grip as you swing it. Best weight I found in the past is around 34-37 pounds from what I noticed in the past.

I've done a little door busting in the past and built the one my county SRT uses here. If I had a picture I would send it.

It looks good!

Smile I would add . . .

I would add a 3/4" or 1" all thread rod running from the rear of the front plate to an inch short of the open back. Get or build a large "wing nut" with a nylon insert to match the all thread. Now you can add standard weights from an athletic store as needed and secure them all the way forward with a large the nylon insert wing nut. And now you have a reason for the rear to be open.

Also if you "seal it up", what happens when it gets dropped in a mud puddle or water after the fire department is through dousing the place . . . Remember the last time you tried to get condensate out of a square tube trailer frame without weep holes . . .

This all thread could also be utilized for a runner to create a slam hammer effect by adding a weight . . .

I will tell you this, I have worked as a designer & as a technician . . . it can be very frustrating to be the one doing the work to accommodate all the engineering brainstorming . . .

Steve
    Last edited by Wacko Welder; 01-03-2009 at 04:18 PM.
    Millermatic 251
    Lincoln AC/DC "Tombstone"
    Milwaulkee Grinder 4 1/2"
    Clark Grinder 4 1/2"

turbo38t Guest

No problem with the weight. It works flawlessly, the question was just about the tube cap. Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by Wacko Welder View Post
    I would add a 3/4" or 1" all thread rod running from the rear of the front plate to an inch short of the open back. Get or build a large "wing nut" with a nylon insert to match the all thread. Now you can add standard weights from an athletic store as needed and secure them all the way forward with a large the nylon insert wing nut. And now you have a reason for the rear to be open.

Also if you "seal it up", what happens when it gets dropped in a mud puddle or water after the fire department is through dousing the place . . . Remember the last time you tried to get condensate out of a square tube trailer frame without weep holes . . .

This all thread could also be utilized for a runner to create a slam hammer effect by adding a weight . . .

I will tell you this, I have worked as a designer & as a technician . . . it can be very frustrating to be the one doing the work to accommodate all the engineering brainstorming . . .

Steve