Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by turbo38t View Post
    Please read the above posts . Dave
    dave,

You still have not answered WHY you can not leave the tube open.

If you have to have the tube boxed/capped, I doubt you are going to find any cheaper AND good way to do it other than welding it up like you did with the Diamond Plate.
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

laser cut a blank that can be press fit in the end. use a heavy interference fit.

You made a hundred of these 6 months back, and now you've got R&D problems?

http://millerwelds.com/resources/com...ad.php?t=12636

Just water jet the caps and add another $100 per unit. Heck, it's only taxpayer money anyways right?
    Syncrowave 250DX
    Invison 354MP
    XR Control and 30A

Airco MED20 feeder
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 81
    Smith O/A rig
    And more machinery than you can shake a 7018 rod at

turbo38t Guest

Yes I did. Still in the testing stage. Are you the negative one from the last time around? If you are your pessimistic attitude/opinion isn't really needed as you were just a &*^% stirrer....the ends are not left open because the company wants them closed for cosmetic reasons. Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishy Jim View Post
    You made a hundred of these 6 months back, and now you've got R&D problems?

http://millerwelds.com/resources/com...ad.php?t=12636

Just water jet the caps and add another $100 per unit. Heck, it's only taxpayer money anyways right?

I'm not trying to beat a dead horse here but if you used 1/8 steel diamond plate it would add about $8.25 retail or about 1/2 that your cost to the unit. 1 sheet 4x8 @ .85 pound = $140 & you"ll get 288 pcs from it. That's 50 cents each cost or 75 cents retail. Total time including shearing & welding would be 5 minutes (in quantity less time)tops @ $90 per hour = $7.50 I just don't see any other way to make it "bullet proof" besides welding on a cap. I really hope you can find an alternative but I can't come up with one that is cheaper & solid.
    Last edited by MMW; 11-10-2008 at 03:44 PM.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

Default uhmw

you could make a plug out of uhmw black not the white which is really shock asorbent then take nascar pop rivits and put it in place then have it power coated job done
    Dynasty 200DX
    maxstar 150

Smile

the ends are not left open because the company wants them closed for cosmetic reasons.

IMHO:
    It's for a SWAT team, they're carrying guns and wearing bullet proof vests. They do their job in a HIGH stress environment. What do they care about cosmetics? I sounds like the politicians have their finger in this and want it PRETTY.

I'll bet the ones asking for the cap, didn't ask the guys using it, if it needs to be capped.
    RETIRED desk jockey.

Hobby weldor with a little training.

Craftsman O/A---Flat, Vert, Ovhd, Horz.

Miller Syncrowave 250.

turbo38t Guest

LOL......that's funny. And to the other guy.....it may be for a SWAT tea, but it still has to be cosmetically appealling for the most part. Nobody, and I mean NOBODY wants somethin ugly....LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by The Breeze View Post
    you could make a plug out of uhmw black not the white which is really shock asorbent then take nascar pop rivits and put it in place then have it power coated job done

Why dont you just use a nice thick piece of steel like whats on the other end? I realize that the business end has a pry tool on it but why not just have a piece of flat stock welded on the same way. It would add a bit a weight but not so much as filling the tube with shot...
    Who do you call when the lawmakers ignore the law?

Miller AC/DC Thunderbolt 225
    Miller 180 w/Autoset
    Old cutting torch on LPG

At the risk of helping this guy, it would be a poor decision to add excess mass so far away from the working end of the ram. Since straight thrusting (traditional battering) isn't the tools primary objective (as indicated by the swiss army knife-esque video), the addition of mass so far away from the working end, will not benefit the tools function, but will increase the fatigue on the troop carrying it.

There's a reason maul hammers don't have heavy handles - the added mass is in the wrong spot.

Were it just a traditional battering ram, the mass wouldn't matter where it was located.

Something else to consider with this things design is that the actual force changes with acceleration, just as much as it does with mass. Look at ballistics of bullets. You can get the same ft-lbs out of a smaller bullet at a higher speed. It's easier for a man to accelerate a lighter object than a heavy one (baseball bats would be a prime example). Maybe your research should be focused on the practical effects of being able to swing a lighter boot - oops, you already made 100 heavy ones.
    Syncrowave 250DX
    Invison 354MP
    XR Control and 30A

Airco MED20 feeder
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 81
    Smith O/A rig
    And more machinery than you can shake a 7018 rod at