Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

turbo38t Guest

Default Need some help. Battering ram.

As some of you know I have been actively involved with a project r&d team. It's a couple friends of mine and the project has gone very well. We're just trying to solve a small issue. On the one end of a 4" box tube there is an open end that needs to be capped. For cost reasons a molded plastic press in type cap was originally used and then there were some issues during testing of it popping out. Now a special epoxy has been used and the epoxy never breaks but the kinetic energy is actually causing the caps to break along the molding/casting reinforcements. They like the idea of welding a diamond plate cap over the end and it looks awesome but in all reality a full corner weld and precies fitment is need to make it look right and that's not very cost efficient. Just wondering if anyone else has any other ideas for a cap that would stay in place. This is an impact device and creates alot of kinetic energy that does some unimagineable things. Anyways.....that's where I'm at for now. Thanks again all. Dave

Do you have a picture of what you have so far?
    To all who contribute to this board.
    My sincere thanks , Pete.

Pureox OA
    Westinghouse 300 amp AC stick
    Miller Syncrowave 250
    Hexacon 250 watt solder iron

Cool

Make a steel cap that has 1" lips bent on the 4 sides and bolt it on. Just my thought...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

turbo38t Guest

That could work but just trying to keep the simplicity there. It's also powedercoated when done. Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by aametalmaster View Post
    Make a steel cap that has 1" lips bent on the 4 sides and bolt it on. Just my thought...Bob

How important is the looks? If its a battering ram, won't the end get beat up from use. Does the end have to be flat?

Pureox OA
    Miller Syncrowave 250

Quote Originally Posted by burninbriar View Post
    How important is the looks? If its a battering ram, won't the end get beat up from use. Does the end have to be flat?
    What I was thinking is you could cut the corners of the tube down, bend the flaps in and weld them. Depending on how far down you cut the corner, and what shape you make the cuts, you could go from a 4 sided point to a round end. Once the shape is determined you can program the cut into a CNC or make a pattern to make the cuts by hand.
    Depending on the tube thickness, you can tap the flaps over with a mallet until the edges meet or make a pattern to slide into the tube to pound the flaps down on.
    If it does not have to be a show room quality the edges will come well within reason for welding. I have seen guard posts done like this. Now if the end has to be flat, this method would be much more difficult.

Pureox OA
    Miller Syncrowave 250

Shear or have sheared end caps that are the same size as the id of the tube. Then set them on the ends, tack them, then weld around it. The square corners of the plates will sit on the round corners of the tube so as not to "fall in" when fitting. Use a mig to weld them. It won't take more than a couple minutes a piece shearing included. Once you get set up there will be no clean up as the corner to corner joint will leave you with a nice rounded corner with no grinding.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

turbo38t Guest

Quote Originally Posted by MMW View Post
    Shear or have sheared end caps that are the same size as the id of the tube. Then set them on the ends, tack them, then weld around it. The square corners of the plates will sit on the round corners of the tube so as not to "fall in" when fitting. Use a mig to weld them. It won't take more than a couple minutes a piece shearing included. Once you get set up there will be no clean up as the corner to corner joint will leave you with a nice rounded corner with no grinding.
    This is how I did the last two non plastic caps. They look awesome. Made the caps from diamond plate and they like the looks but it's too time consuming. That's alot of weld wire and weld time when mass producing. Looking maybe at a premade cap that holds better under alot of force. Don't get me wrtong, the diamond plate caps turned out killer, but the idea is to save money while being functional. Dave

We Want Pics!

turbo38t Guest

Here you go....the open end is where the cap is needed.
    Quote Originally Posted by metalmeltr View Post
    We Want Pics!
    Attached Images Attached Images