Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default dynasty 200dx thoughts, Q?s and cart?

My Dynasty arrived today. Yea!

First thoughts: It's heavier than I expected. I didn't put it on a scale or anything but I won't be strapping it to my shoulder and skipping to a job, esp. with all the other crap attached to it. Not to mention a tank.

This brings me to my question: Any pics of welding carts for a dynasty? I envision a mig type cart with a shelf below to stow the foot pedal or perhaps even the whole contractors case.

Other thoughts: I ran some beads on steel and al. I wasn't getting a HF start at the beginning. I was using ceriated ground to a point, and had to scratch it to start. Towards the last few beads on al it was starting alright.

Of course in my excitement I threw everything together and probably didn't have the best ground, I had old steel and al, and didn't do anything to the settings...I just turned it on and went at it.

A/C seems louder than the Sync 250dx I have at work.

I did get the fan to come on doing aluminum at 150 amps. Had it hooked up to 220v.

In spite of my hurry, the arc seemed much better than the Sync's (That may have been my money talking, though )

I'm happy with it and can't wait to really get into it. Don't have tig gloves here and they sent me the wrong aluminum rod...so I have a few things to do for the optimum setup.

Last q?: Does anyone have a plug setup where you can plug it into just about anything? I envision having it set up for one plug, and then have a 'transfer box' where I can utilize other voltages and 3 phase.

Bought everything from IOC on ebay. Ordered it SUNDAY, and It was here today! Very happy with them, too.

-James

I added a shelf to my MiG to hold my Dynasty. As for power, I installed a cord from a MMDVI so I can switch from 110 portability to 220 by just swapping the plug end of the cord. I also installed a 220v outlet on my MiG(which has a 40 foot cord) to plug the Dynasty into when in the shop. The DVI cord doesn't work for 3-phase but, that's not a concern for me. Works out good as I have dual tanks on the MiG for the spool gun and I use that argon tank for the TiG also.

pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by TS-Off-Road View Post
    Where can I buy a plug like this? I'd like to have one for my Dynasty.
    Last edited by Slash; 07-18-2007 at 12:39 AM.

thats the DVI plug system. its a bit pricy but you can order it from any LWS. last time i checked it was like $60 per pice. been a wile so it might be diferent now.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

James,
    you're like me, lots of window shopping, know a lot of prices and information, but not much money to buy!!!!!!!!!
    Keep up with learning more info, so I can pick your brain
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time

i came verry close to getting the Dyn 200DX about 2 years ago, had the torch, footcontrole, flowmeeter and was about to order the dyn on friday when we found out thursday we had a new child on the way,good timeing but needless to say the TIG welder got put on hold. but i did look into the DVI cord option for it. i later ended up getting a TA-185 thats only 240V so no more need for the 120V/240V optional plug.
    some one on the ask andy side is running a thread about how to wire it, they may have more up to date priceing for ya.
    lots of window shopping, know a lot of prices and information, but not much money to buy!!!!!!!!!
    when ya got no $$ all ya can do is window shop. seems like some thing for the family always comes up befor my toy's, guess thats a good thing.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Quote Originally Posted by Slash View Post
    Where can I buy a plug like this? I'd like to have one for my Dynasty.
    Yup, DVI cord. I took mine right from my DVI. With dual tanks and at several hundred pounds the DVI really isn't "portable" so I wired a regular 40' 220v cord into it and put the DVI cord on the Dynasty.

what i did for plugs on mine is got a 30amp 480volt 4wire male twistlock plug and put it on the end of the welder plug this plug is the most common3ph 480plug without goin iec304/pin sleeve.

got 3 female cord caps that match the above, got a 120v 15a male and 50a 250v welder plug, and a 30a 250v twistlock and used 10ga so cord between the plugs and made them short as possible. this way i have adapters to go from a common wall plug to welder plug to 250v 30a twistlock like whats on temp power boxes and 480v twistlock.

i have about $150 into all the parts

James,
    yes, she found out the price, but knew I've been saving for it awhile...
    Dinner and flowers? you know I HAD TO!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time

Quote Originally Posted by jamscal View Post
    This brings me to my question: Any pics of welding carts for a dynasty? I envision a mig type cart with a shelf below to stow the foot pedal or perhaps even the whole contractors case.
    If you are looking to build your own cart, check out the Dynasty 200 cart on this page:
    http://www.millerwelds.com/challenge/2006/