Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Check with your local airport, ask about a prop shop.
    Ask where they send their props. Shouldn't cost too much to have them do it as it won't be going on a airplane, if it was going to be put into service it would have to be balanced.

That'll take a lot of work to look like a good prop again. It does have some real character in its present state.
    Equipped with red and blue... and red and green!
    80% of failures are from 20% of causes
    Never compromise your principles today in the name of furthering them in the future.
    "All I ever wanted was an honest week's pay for an honest day's work." -Sgt. Bilko
    "We are generally better persuaded by reasons we discover ourselves than by those given to us by others." -Pascal
    "Since we cannot know all that there is to be known about anything, we ought to know a little about everything." -Pascal

Thumbs up

Most modern props are hollow, and some have a composite epoxy poured into the center for strehgth. You need to be really careful in doing that. Even the professionals at museums tend to just replace a prop in that condition. Find a manufacturer's name on it somewhere if at all possible and look them up, they can tell you about the construction technique used and give you the best probable method. My advice, as an aviation mechanic, is to either hang it bent, or remove the good blade and hang that alone. It will look as good, perhaps not as striking as the entire hub, but for your purpose, ****, anything is better than nothing right.

not to try and steal the thread but we got an old wooden one hanging in my dinning room from when my granddaddy worked at sensenich propeller here in littiz, Pa. This one is when they still made wooden ones the make aluminum ones now. this one is not airworthy.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=16jg44&s=4

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2rhsbiq&s=4

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=av4ytt&s=4
    Last edited by migwelder05; 11-07-2008 at 12:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AM2Mastro View Post
    Most modern props are hollow, and some have a composite epoxy poured into the center for strehgth. You need to be really careful in doing that. Even the professionals at museums tend to just replace a prop in that condition. Find a manufacturer's name on it somewhere if at all possible and look them up, they can tell you about the construction technique used and give you the best probable method. My advice, as an aviation mechanic, is to either hang it bent, or remove the good blade and hang that alone. It will look as good, perhaps not as striking as the entire hub, but for your purpose, ****, anything is better than nothing right.
    Thanks for the advice. I was going to call a few folks before attempting to repair the prop. As for hanging the good blade...they are both bent. I will keep everyone posted.
    Thanks again,
    Nick

love the look of the old wood ones.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Here is some additional information on the prop:

Manufacturer - McCauley
    Serial Number - 807346
    Model Number - 2AF34C55-

Thanks,
    Nick

OK, I spoke to Brian at new england propeller and he said that the propeller is solid aluminum. He said that I should heat it and bend it, I will keep everyone posted...I hope it doesn't break. Well, if it does I guess I will just weld it back together.
    Nick