Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Airplane Propeller

I had been looking for an airplane propeller for some time to hang up in my shop. One of my friends told me she knew where one was and that she would get it for me. I did not know that it would be bent. Any ideas how to straighten the prop? I thought about heat but I have never tried anything this big before. I was also concerned that aluminum of this size would dissipate heat rapidly. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Nick
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Send it to Alaska

Man, I've seen props on operational aircraft up here that weren't much better than that one.

Send it To Alaska.

Jerry in Anchorage

Hang it up bent. A good, used propeller hanging on the wall is cool. A bent propeller is cool, and has a story.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by spotsineyes View Post
    Hang it up bent. A good, used propeller hanging on the wall is cool. A bent propeller is cool, and has a story.
    Tell people that you were in the plane at 10,000 feet when you hit a duck.
    RETIRED desk jockey.

Hobby weldor with a little training.

Craftsman O/A---Flat, Vert, Ovhd, Horz.

Miller Syncrowave 250.

Talking

a really big duck. LOL
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

As the Prop will not ever be in service again here is my take as I have repaired/ straightened a few rims and forward controls.

You are definitely gonna need some heat and I recommend a nice oa set up with a rose bud.
    Heat that puppy to about 750 range and add a slow pressure to the bend. Not sure if a prop is hollow but if it is we are gonna have a issue and will need to sling/strap and pull the bend out.
    the key to success is use your common sense and take your time.
    Go slow and don't throw too much heat at it.

The funny thing with aluminium is when you add the heat most of the bend will come out naturally. A little heat goes along way and I also use a raw hide hammer and it does wonders.

Good Luck and give a shout if you need more help.
    Laurence

Hang it up bent, it would be even more interesting if you found out the story behind it.
    But you always could make up your own!!!
    at home:
    2012 325 Trailblazer EFI with Excel power
    2007 302 Trailblazer with the Robin FOR SALE
    2008 Suitcase 12RC
    Spoolmatic 30A
    WC-24
    2009 Dynasty 200DX
    2000 XMT 304
    2008 Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
    Sold:MM130XP
    Sold:MM 251
    Sold:CST 280

at work:
    Invision 350MP
    Dynasty 350
    Millermatic 350P
    Retired:Shopmaster 300 with a HF-251

There is an aviation salvage yard in Phoenix AZ I used to deal with for unusual aluminum pieces. I do not recall the name, but google them and you'll find it. Contact them and ask this same question. An aviation salvage yard might be a good start, or contact the aviation museaum at the smithsonian as they are always doing restoration they may have an idea how to accomplish this with the least fatigue on the metal.

Peace,\
    Paul

Default Cool Prop

In all the years I flew, never got a bent one, but maybe the pilot forgot to extend the gear

Anyway it looks cool like it is, the advice given on bending is good, but I have no idea how well it works.

Good Luck, let the forum know what you did..

Miller 140 w A/S
    HF 90 Amp Flux Core
    Dewalt Chop Saw
    Smith O/A Torch
    Ryobi, HF grinders

Harley Electra Glide Classic

Heat sounds like the way to approach this project, but I will be cautious and call some of the experts mentioned, in order to avoid any problems. If you have any other ideas please let me know.
    Thanks,
    Nick