Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Hybrid View

Default Stainless steel sailboat railings

I've been helping a friend out on his sailboat projects. The most recent aspect has been in fabricating new railings. I basically try to point him in the right direction, purchase tools on his dime, and try to get him to take his time so he doesn't booger up all of his expensive material. He has been learning that when dealing with compound bends and tube notching, small mistakes in calculations equate to large discrepancies in the final product.

We did the bends (by hand) on my Hossfeld #2, and we coped the joints with a JMR notcher (see post under "tube notchers" in the Motorsports section). He made some templates, we hit most of the marks , and I tacked them together so he could check them back on the boat before final welding.

All the material is 1.25 x .083 316 stainless steel tubing. It has a very substantial look and he is not concerned about the extra weight compared to the old railings. Gonna look great!

1) JMR notcher
    2) 1.25 tubing die
    3) tacked up
    4) tacked up

Thanks for looking.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Maxstar 200DX
    Maxstar 300DX
    Dynasty 200DX
    Passport
    Spectrum 701
    LMSW-52 spot welder

Looks nice
    how may hole saws did it take to cope the 8 joints, even on the .065 I have used it trashes the hole saw teeth the cope joints are pretty good but not great. how'ed yours go with the .083 wall ??

mark

Default don't overheat it

Quote Originally Posted by pescaloco View Post
    Looks nice
    how may hole saws did it take to cope the 8 joints, even on the .065 I have used it trashes the hole saw teeth the cope joints are pretty good but not great. how'ed yours go with the .083 wall ??

mark
    One saw.

Well, technically two. I noticed that the first saw had an unacceptable amount of runout when we spun it before we started. So we picked up another from a different manufacturer. I don't recall the make of either offhand.

We coped some pretty steep joints, too, but you have to take your time. I let my buddy do the drilling, but kept reminding him to let the material and blade cool. Once it gets too hot, you're "toast", as they say.
    This also goes for drill bits when drilling holes. You can really stretch a bit a long ways when you start with a sharp bit, use some lubrication , and the right RPM. Once a bit goes dull and you start to struggle, go to a new bit or sharpen the old.

An old machinist always told me, "Speed + feed." (RPM + feed rate into the material).
    Maxstar 200DX
    Maxstar 300DX
    Dynasty 200DX
    Passport
    Spectrum 701
    LMSW-52 spot welder

Right you are, a friend turned me on to using wax as a cutting lube.
    It seems when feeding in the saw as the teeth start to cut they have a tendancy to chip.

What kind of hole-saw are you using? Bi-metal, I 'm sure.

The source where I purchased the notcher from offered these cutters,
    http://www.vansantent.com/hole_saw_cutters_MK.htm
    but I didn't take the bait.
    I'd be interested to hear if anyone on the forum has tried them.

To be honest, I've had equal results with cheap Chinese drill bits and with expensive USA bits. Both will dull if used improperly... and both sharpen in a pinch. I realize the "good" bits will hold an edge longer overall and have a tighter tolerance, but I'm usually making furniture, not spacecraft.
    Maxstar 200DX
    Maxstar 300DX
    Dynasty 200DX
    Passport
    Spectrum 701
    LMSW-52 spot welder

Been using Milwaukee bi-metal but to be honest my run in speed may be part of the problem. It's been a while since I notched any s/s tube and I don't remember what the exact problem was but the teeth seemed to have a hard time making a clean cut and maybee I tried to go too fast.

I think 1 inch .065 tubing I have used is just not very forgiving and a hole saw is not a great way to cope joints. With the thin edges, burn through or just keeping a very small and even bead profile is challanging (and it is boat railing so looks are important)

Again Nice job on your project the 1.25 tube looks much nicer on a boat in my opinion.

Mark