Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Hybrid View

Default Chromoly Welding?

I am looking at putting a 12 point cage into my street/strip Dakota project and was wondering what was the deal with stress relieving chromoly? Is it needed for cage work? Would I be better off sticking with DOM instead? I am looking to to have the truck legal to 8.50's

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TrxR View Post
    I am looking at putting a 12 point cage into my street/strip Dakota project and was wondering what was the deal with stress relieving chromoly? Is it needed for cage work? Would I be better off sticking with DOM instead? I am looking to to have the truck legal to 8.50's

Thanks
    I think thats a pretty open question with a lot of variables. It is true that if you Tig 4130 your going to have areas next to the weld with low fatigue life, and its true that post weld treatments are used to aleviate this. However how much stress and fatigue cycles are put into a roll cage? Is it a structural member of the vehicle that will flex much with the chassis under normal driving? Typically when I design a part like that, I will look at the fatigue loading of the part, and if its so over-built that the low fatigue life of an un-treated tig weld wont be an issue, then the part is too heavy to start with. Basicly you can do one of two things, throw brains at the problem, or throw metal at it. Usually using the brains results in a lighter, faster vehicle. If it was me, and every ounce counted, I would use 4130, Tig and post treat, or Gas weld it. Or if weight wasnt so much of an issue I would use DOM and beef up the design accordingly. Your call on what the situation demands.
    -Aaron
    "Better Metalworking Through Research"

Miller Dynasty 300DX
    Miller Dynasty 200DX
    Miller Spectrum 375 extreme
    Miller Millermatic Passport

Miller Spot Welder
    Motor-Guard stud welder

Smith, Meco, Oxweld , Cronatron, Harris, Victor, National, Prest-o-weld, Prest-o-lite, Marquette, Century Aircraft, Craftsman, Goss, Uniweld, Purox, Linde, Eutectic, and Dillon welding torches from 1909 to Present. (58 total)

4130 is nice, kinda braggin rights in some ways. My crawler has a custom built DOM cage and its been tested several times on several rollovers and barrel rolls. Never ever had problems with the welds or structural damage.

All Mig welded using the best practices

Try the 4130 and as mentioned earlier, add a bit more structure, plenty of gussets too

Quote Originally Posted by lewray View Post
    4130 is nice, kinda braggin rights in some ways. My crawler has a custom built DOM cage and its been tested several times on several rollovers and barrel rolls. Never ever had problems with the welds or structural damage.

All Mig welded using the best practices

Try the 4130 and as mentioned earlier, add a bit more structure, plenty of gussets too
    Well, they use min .083 wall 4130, or min .120 wall dom, thats why usually 4130 is used, to save weight. I would try to locate a local chassis builder if I were you and ask him some ?'s Ive only done 6pts to 9.99
    Voigt Precision Welding, Inc.

Miller Dynasty 200 DX, Miller Syncrowave 250, MillerMatic 252, Hypertherm Powermax 45, Auto Arc Trailpower 8000,272+187 lb Peter Wright anvil, 120 lb Fisher-norris, and more! Buffalo drill press, Grizzly Horiz. Bandsaw, Edwards shear, Barth Shear, bantam mechanical ironworker, Hopkins fly press, Doall Bandsaw, brown and sharpe surface grinder.

2007 Silverado 2500HD (tow vehicle)
    2000 Camaro SS (Race car)

What does the local sanctioning call for? NHRA wants chromoly, NASCAR uses mild steel. Both specify weld process also (I think).
    RETIRED desk jockey.

Hobby weldor with a little training.

Craftsman O/A---Flat, Vert, Ovhd, Horz.

Miller Syncrowave 250.