Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Looking to build a tig cooler

I am looking to build a tig cooler for a SD 180.I am looking for a parts list/photos and some direction.Thanks

This will get ya started
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...ead.php?t=6728
    do a search for threads started by Sundown ,for a parts list and other info on the subject. Sadly George pass away but some where there is a complete write up he and another fellow did on the project.
    Good luck
    L*S

edit: found the article

http://www.thefabricator.com/ArcWeld...le.cfm?ID=1275
    Last edited by Leons2003; 10-31-2008 at 08:57 AM. Reason: added text

Leon:
    I think of Sundown everytime someone asks about a homemade watercooler.

I'm glad you found the link.
    Last edited by Craig in Denver; 10-31-2008 at 11:16 PM.
    RETIRED desk jockey.

Hobby weldor with a little training.

Craftsman O/A---Flat, Vert, Ovhd, Horz.

Miller Syncrowave 250.

Default My Homemade Cooler

I am new at TIGing & wanted a water cooler, also. I built the one in the accompanying photo. I did the welding with a 17 series aircooled torch - Yepper, looks like bird dodo to me too (My first aluminum welds)

Motor & Pump 220volt -- $125 (counting shipping to Alaska)
    Fan 220 Volt ------------- 25
    Heater Core -------------- 20
    Aluminum Box Tube ------- 15
    Aluminum Scraps -------- free
    Assorted Fittings --------- 25
    Hose --------------------- 4

Took several sessions & quite a few redesigns in my head to make it work. That fan is rated at 300 cfm. I do not know if the reservoir would even be necessary. That baby really moves some air.

I wanted everything 220 so I could wire it into the cord for the Dynasty 200. It works fine -- no overload problems at all. The pump & fan only draw 2-3 amps.

I gained a lot of experience with this project, but in reality, based on the cost of the parts, the agron & filler, along with the electricity used, it may just have been cheaper to have purchased one premade. But then, I wouldn't have learned diddly-squat about aluminum welding either.

Jerry in Anchorage
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by muskt; 11-01-2008 at 12:05 AM. Reason: Forgot image

Quote Originally Posted by muskt View Post
    I am new at TIGing & wanted a water cooler, also. I built the one in the accompanying photo. I did the welding with a 17 series aircooled torch - Yepper, looks like bird dodo to me too (My first aluminum welds)

Motor & Pump 220volt -- $125 (counting shipping to Alaska)
    Fan 220 Volt ------------- 25
    Heater Core -------------- 20
    Aluminum Box Tube ------- 15
    Aluminum Scraps -------- free
    Assorted Fittings --------- 25
    Hose --------------------- 4

Took several sessions & quite a few redesigns in my head to make it work. That fan is rated at 300 cfm. I do not know if the reservoir would even be necessary. That baby really moves some air.

I wanted everything 220 so I could wire it into the cord for the Dynasty 200. It works fine -- no overload problems at all. The pump & fan only draw 2-3 amps.

I gained a lot of experience with this project, but in reality, based on the cost of the parts, the agron & filler, along with the electricity used, it may just have been cheaper to have purchased one premade. But then, I wouldn't have learned diddly-squat about aluminum welding either.

Jerry in Anchorage
    Hi Muskt -
    Where did you order / get your components for this cooler ?

Thanks,
    Lewis

Default Parts for Cooler

I got the pump/motor combo on EBay. Search for "tig pump or procon pump or tig pump". (You may be surprised how some folks list the same items.) I ran the cord for the pump & fan right alongside the cord for the Dyn. I mated both cords into one plug so that the fan/pump runs continuously whenever the Dyn is plugged in. Works great & NO HEAT buildup around the plug.

The fan from the Surplus Center.

http://www.surpluscenter.com/

The rest around Anchorage.

That Surplus Center has lots of great "stuff" at pretty decent prices.

There are probably many many more methods for making a cooler than that which I pursued. Since I live in Alaska, I even considered not using a fan at all. It rarely gets more than 65-70 F in my garage. Since I am only a Tinkerer & don't weld big things (usually), I haven't even been able to detect any warming of the hoses going into the cooler from the torch.

Jerry in Anchorage
    (+8F this morning at my Igloo)

Default cooler

Hi
    if you want to save some money on the pump... look for a "Procon" carbonation vane pump (40psi if I recall) your local junk store or ebay for about $50... from soft drink soda fountains...
    hope this helps
    Heiti

Sorry Muskt.. we must have posted at the same time..
    Heiti