Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Hybrid View

Default Welding on Sucker Rod

I built a pipe fence a few years back with some sucker rod horizontals. I remember I couldn't weld it with DC due to it being magnetized. I set my welder to AC and got it glued together, but some of the welds weren't very strong.

Anyway, I'm comtemplating using some sucker rod for my upcoming corral project. I plan on unsing AC/6011 for the sucker rod with my TB302. Is this the typical practice for working with sucker rod or is there something else I should know?

Thanks
    Millermatic 35
    Miller TB302G
    Ellis 1800
    Smith & Victor Torches
    Optrel Satellite
    Arcair K4000
    Ingersoll-Rand 175CFM Diesel Air Compressor
    Home Made Welding Trailer

Question

Dumb question?? Whats "sucker rod"
    Scott
    HMW [Heavy Metal welding]

A rod that goes down the middle of oil well drill stem pipe.

Rick

why is it magnitized ?? done on purpose or just ends up that way?? can you de-magnatize it ???
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

I believe anytime you move a piece of metal back-and-forth thousands of times in close proximity to another piece of metal, you will end up with magentism.

Talking

Pre-heat might eliminate the magnetism, no garuntee though. Another tecnique is to wrap your ground cable around the pipe in close proximity to the weld. It creates an induction magnet that will eliminate the opposing magnetic force. Once again no garuntees it will work. It's used quite a bit by pile drivers since the tops of the piles often build up magnitism. I'd say try it, if it doesn't work keep using AC. It may be a pain in the but to do but it sure beats using an AC arc if it works.

Quote Originally Posted by calweld View Post
    I believe anytime you move a piece of metal back-and-forth thousands of times in close proximity to another piece of metal, you will end up with magentism.

Wow, this is an old thread, but it got brought up so here goes....

Oil field tubular goods don't become magnetic due to motion, they become magnetic by being in the earth for a period of time.
    Bury any large, long metallic object in the earth (and pipelines are both large and very, very long. Drilling tubulars are lesser so but still qualify) for a period of time and they become magnetized by the earths magnetic field.

It's that simple.
    Even severely magnetized pipe can be welded successfully to code standards.

JTMcC.
    Some days you eat the bear. And some days the bear eats you.