Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Trailer design, links, suggestions....

Does anyone have any links for design, parts sources at a discount, etc.?

I am planning a flat bed utility trailer with 2 3500lb. axles. I want to use tubing rather than channel for the structure to have a stronger/lighter trailer. Planning on torsion axles, led lighting, etc. Size will be 16'x7'ish, enough to allow for the fenders and tires. I was planning on using 2x4 .120 wall tubing for the structure. Questions I would have include proper design of the frame, weight distribution, axle placement (fore and aft), etc.

Any sources, links or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Dave
    Dynasty 200DX
    Hypertherm 380

Cool

I have built lots of trailers, look around here for some ideas...Bob

http://s110.photobucket.com/albums/n...0have%20built/
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Default try Northern Tool or East Marine

Both of the companies have considerable parts available. East Marine also calls itself "Trailer Superstore" or something similar. They have axles in just about any length in case you make something odd-sized. I have a cargo trailer and have also made an open 4'x8' trailer. Northern Tool also has blueprints for about $25 to $40 depending on design. Good Luck

Default Trailer questions

I too, would like to know if there is any secrets to designing a flat bed trailer - I think some refer to them as "Landscape" trailers.
    Any how I'd like to build a 12' x 5' bed trailer, with an 'A' frame coupler, and I'm debating tandem 2000 pound axles. The questions I have are; How do you determine the placing of the axle assemblies. (center of gravity stuff)? By eye balling several ready made trailers, it appears that the single axle is placed 2/3 back from the front edge of the bed. Is this correct? What about the tandem placement?

Cantankerous Coot Enterprises
    Robert K. Tompsett CEO,CFO,CWM

Lincoln 225 AC Stick Buzz Box
    Victor Portable gas welder
    Milwaukee Deep Cut Portable Band Saw
    Milwaukee Sawzall
    2 - Drill Presses

Thumbs up Axle Placement

I would think placement would depend on how you were going to load it, you want to avoid excess tounge weight, yet you need some to keep the trailer from going squirrely on you(for ball hitches). if your not sure how your going to load up the bed, try to split the deck length with the center of your axle(s)... on a different note make sure to keep your tounge length approx. 60% of the width of the tow vehicle, so when you turn tight you don't hit

Good Luck!!

Kelly

Thumbs up nfinch86- Canadian Weldor :

Quote Originally Posted by deafman View Post
    Both of the companies have considerable parts available. East Marine also calls itself "Trailer Superstore" or something similar. They have axles in just about any length in case you make something odd-sized. I have a cargo trailer and have also made an open 4'x8' trailer. Northern Tool also has blueprints for about $25 to $40 depending on design. Good Luck
    YEA, I Bought Prints from Northern Tool, Great Prints TOO !!! ..... Norm :

Sunrise Outside My Shop In Delhi, Ontario

- Arcair- K 4000 CAC.

- LN-25 Wire Feeder

- Lincoln Ranger 8- Engine Drive- CC\CV:

- Lincoln Power Mig 180C
    - Spoolgun.
    - DeWalt Chop Saw .
    - DeWalt Compressor - 13cfm, @ 100 psi.

www.normsmobilewelding.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by pyro2 View Post
    I would think placement would depend on how you were going to load it, you want to avoid excess tounge weight, yet you need some to keep the trailer from going squirrely on you(for ball hitches). if your not sure how your going to load up the bed, try to split the deck length with the center of your axle(s)... on a different note make sure to keep your tounge length approx. 60% of the width of the tow vehicle, so when you turn tight you don't hit

Good Luck!!

Kelly
    Thanks Kelly,

This is the type of info I need!

Will the 2x4 Box be strong enough for the structure? I am planning using the 2.4 box to both support the deck and be the structural frame rather than the traditional frame under deck design. I'll try and draw up my idea to post for critique.
    Dynasty 200DX
    Hypertherm 380

2x4 s plenty big enough but if its 16ga. then H**** no! imop it should be at least .120 wall 0r thicker depending what you hall. if your hauling, for example, a skidstear day in and day out then you should probably upsize to 3/16.
    just my 2 cents

I was planning on .120 wall and no way is a skid loader going on this trailer! I have a Jeep project that will be under 3000lbs. that will hauled on it. Then just odds and ends, 2x4s, hardwood, sheeting, whatever. Maybe motorcycles but never more than the 7000lbs. that the axles will handle (including the trailer itself). So, it would need to be able to safely handle 7000 lbs. plus a safety margin. I don't want some flexy trailer either, needs to stay flat and ridgid.
    Dynasty 200DX
    Hypertherm 380

Here's some info for you -

http://www.championtrailers.com/UTIL...AILER_KITS.HTM

You definitely want to price out what you intend to build vs. what you can

buy. Lots of people selling stuff off these days.

Check Ebay and Craigslist.