Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

i think you are making it hard on yourself by setting the amps so low. you should be able to give it some peddle and get the puddle right now, boom!! there it is. if you are running too cold like i suspect you are you will be takeing to long to start the puddle and as such are waisting a lot of time and putting too much heat into the serounding area.
    i would try kicking your amp's up to atleast 1amp per .01 steel +10%. this will alow you to get the puddle to start fast and add heat as its needed or back off as needed. if you did not have a foot controle, i would not recomend the extra heat, but with the foot controle you can back aff as needed and add as needed.
    give it a try with the amps up higher and see how you like it, i think you will like the results as i suspect you are running too cold. no point in useing a foot controle if its bottemed out all the time.
    give it a try, you will like it.
    you can always back off a lil on the foot controle as you add filler then heat back up again as you move forward.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

keep in mind if you set the amps to 70 amp's you need to have the peddle all the way down to get the 70 amps, and thats a lil low for 1/8" make it easy on your self set it for 10o amps that should have you welding in the middle some where so you can work it better.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Quote Originally Posted by fun4now View Post
    keep in mind if you set the amps to 70 amp's you need to have the peddle all the way down to get the 70 amps, and thats a lil low for 1/8" make it easy on your self set it for 10o amps that should have you welding in the middle some where so you can work it better.
    Thanks for the tips. I have tendency to be conservative with my settings. I try and be a little more aggressive with the amps

from what i have herd its commen to start low, every one tends to start out too cold. its only practice so heat it up and see how it goes.
    Last edited by fun4now; 07-11-2007 at 06:03 AM. Reason: spell check.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

JAMES

...from what i have herd its calmen to start low, every one tends to start out too cold. its only practise so heat it up and see how it goes...

Let me interpret: "...from what I have heard, it's common to start low,
    everyone tends to start out too cold. It's only practice, so heat it up and see how it goes." THAT'S WHAT YOU GET FOR DISS'N BAMBI!!!!!!!!!!!

The torch should be pointing at the puddle, not the filler rod. the puddle should melt the filler rod. One thing we teach in beginning TIG, is get a rythm going. That's why we count. One thing our teacher used to ALWAYS say "TURN UP THE HEAT!!!" I think it wa his mantra... Butt welds (hehe...hehe...Bart said "Butt"...), and corner welds are hard, 'cause the edge melts so easily. THAT takes a LOT of practice, so don't be discouraged!
    Just make DARN sure, your torch tip is straight between the 2 plates, and not pointed to one side or another! PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE
    If your want, come on over, and I'll show you how
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time

my torch was at 45 degrees over the pool. The torch was pointing towards the rod
    the torch should be at 90 deg. or as close as you can to that, the filler should be close to 15 deg.
    sorry some how i missed thet part of your post.
    THAT'S WHAT YOU GET FOR DISS'N BAMBI!!!!!!!!!!!
    dissin bambi, i wasent diss'n him i was eating him.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

JAMES

Quote Originally Posted by Bert View Post
    ...from what i have herd its calmen to start low, every one tends to start out too cold. its only practise so heat it up and see how it goes...

Let me interpret: "...from what I have heard, it's common to start low,
    everyone tends to start out too cold. It's only practice, so heat it up and see how it goes." THAT'S WHAT YOU GET FOR DISS'N BAMBI!!!!!!!!!!!

The torch should be pointing at the puddle, not the filler rod. the puddle should melt the filler rod. One thing we teach in beginning TIG, is get a rythm going. That's why we count. One thing our teacher used to ALWAYS say "TURN UP THE HEAT!!!" I think it wa his mantra... Butt welds (hehe...hehe...Bart said "Butt"...), and corner welds are hard, 'cause the edge melts so easily. THAT takes a LOT of practice, so don't be discouraged!
    Just make DARN sure, your torch tip is straight between the 2 plates, and not pointed to one side or another! PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE
    If your want, come on over, and I'll show you how

Thanks for the tips, especially on the torch position on the corners.

I'd love to come over and have you show me but my traveling days are over until my kids move out

fun4now, I was going to think of something witty, but I'm laughing too hard.
    Bart, it's ok, by the time the kids move out, maybe the prices of houses will go down and I'll have my own by then! then we can BBQ in my backyard
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time