Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by fun4now View Post
    would the enamal have an efect on the tank?? or was the baking the problem as it caused it to become brittle and burst insted of streching a lil bit when filled??
    eather way, that dose sound a bit past a badness happend.
    The heat definitely messes up the works. I haven't been diving since the 80's, even though I'm advanced open water with add on credentials. Then new higher pressure tanks had come out, but not many were in use then, because most foreign dive shops didn't have compressors that could take advantage of them. What the status on that is now, I don't know.

Yes it was more than badness, it involved a death for one person, and a loss of an appendage for another.

Even though I think welders would be aware of the effects heat could have on metal. I thought I would point this incident out.

r90s

P.S.
    Back from the stores and looked at my post again.
    Reason for posting this info in a welding forum, and nothing else meant by last sentence.
    Last edited by r90s; 07-10-2007 at 11:17 PM. Reason: Sounded Funny

wow! talk about behind the times!!! I used to be a Master Scuba Diver and Divemaster. Still got my 4 tanks (aluminum 80's at 3000psi). Guess I gotta look into the higher pressure ones!!!!!
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time

Default Don't know

Quote Originally Posted by Bert View Post
    wow! talk about behind the times!!! I used to be a Master Scuba Diver and Divemaster. Still got my 4 tanks (aluminum 80's at 3000psi). Guess I gotta look into the higher pressure ones!!!!!
    Bert, I said foreign dive facility compressors couldn't handle that pressure. ****
    , I did not know of one U.S. dive facility that could make those tanks useful.
    I thought I was behind the times.
    lets see

http://www.bauercomp.com/

**** = hel* ; not anything worse
    Last edited by r90s; 07-11-2007 at 12:52 AM. Reason: you guys are making me look bad!

thanks
    Need to get back into scuba diving anyway....
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time

air compressor for paint ball. i thought they used Co2???
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Default uh,,,, Don't know

Quote Originally Posted by fun4now View Post
    air compressor for paint ball. i thought they used Co2???
    James, I guess their paint ball compressors are a new thing.

But their name in scuba and fire fighting compressors is legend.
    Not to mention their Very high pressure jobs for industry.

Hel*, they don't even make a type that we would use in our shops.
    I put that link in for Bert to look at(as in pressure for scuba tanks).
    But Still, their site is interesting, in a mechanical design kind of way on their high power industrial stuff.

Probably have enough juice for your plasma machine with one.

r90s
    Last edited by r90s; 07-11-2007 at 07:44 AM.

Talking

Where do you get the smily's? There awsome!

Wink OK Guys

Quote Originally Posted by Anti-GMAW View Post
    Where do you get the smily's? There awsome!
    The thing I Use is not available for Internet Explorer, its only available for firefox.
    I downloaded the plug-in made for firefox, and never checked to see if anything was available for IE. I today checked it out and I was right it's not.

So I was gonna type a long Email to fun4now to tell him how to do this stuff manually. Haven't done that yet, as I killed my bad back night before last, and yesterday was stomach killing pain pill day. Today I got to take care of a bunch of errands, plus get a nurse out to check on my elderly mother.

So just send me a PM with your Email address if you want and I will send you a copy of fun4now's mail that I am gonna send, as he said that the PM here only allows 1000 characters

Here are some links that maybe give you an advanced start on what I will send, or maybe even all the info that you need.

http://ganjataz.com/smileys/

http://www.world-of-smilies.com/

And a final link for those of you that use firefox.

http://www.smileyxtra.co.uk/download.php

The vast majority of forums use what is called "BBcode" for icons, links, smileys, colors, text size, and other things. Millers sites use this.

So aside from those links, you might google "smileys" and "BBcode" and become a learned forum kind of guy,

P.S.
    Even though this stuff uses almost no bandwidth, and you would think that Miller, of all companies, can spare a couple of electrons. Lets not get carried away and smiley each other to death, or get things to distracting with rainbows of colors.

r90s
    Last edited by r90s; 07-12-2007 at 07:23 AM.

I had a tank I got with a machine that was the ugliest brown you'd ever seen...

Since it was a 150, and no one around here distributes that size, I repainted it and made it "mine." I use it as a spare for when I need my 330 filled. Having that 150 tank filled is an overnight deal - They pick it up when I get my 330 swapped and then I go get it the next day or when I'm over there.

They asked me about the paint once, and since I told them it was just cosmetic, they had no issues filling it. I took a wire brush to it and essentially took off the loose stuff then hit it with spray bomb.
    Syncrowave 250DX
    Invison 354MP
    XR Control and 30A

Airco MED20 feeder
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 81
    Smith O/A rig
    And more machinery than you can shake a 7018 rod at

Default Painting a tank

Often it seems like living in New Mexico is not an advantage. Finding scrap, materials and used machinery is difficult. Welding tanks, on the other hand, seem a lot easier than other places. I found a O2 tank half buried at a surplus site. I paid $5.00 for it and hauled it to my welding supply. They tested it, converted it to CO2 and filled it. I asked them what color they used for CO2 and they said Grey. I painted the ugly rusty tank Grey and they have been filling it with no problems ever since.

Perhaps because I asked first they knew I wasn't putting Bondo under the paint. Who knows, but it hasn't been a problem here.

John