Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: New TIG Cart

Threaded View

Default New TIG Cart

I am a very new TIGer and decided that a cart for the Dyn200 would be a good starting project. Well, sort of. I also wanted to go "water cooled", but objected to $400-$600 for a cooler. Why not build one, I think. So I did.

The reservoir for the liquid is two pieces of aluminum rectangle box tube approximately 3in. X 6in. X 15 inches long. They are 1/4 in. thick. The end plates are 3/8 thick. A bit of overkill, I think. I live in Anchorage, Alaska, & metal (other than rebar & big box store crs) is pretty darn scarce. So I use what I can locate. I welded that reservoir with an aircooled 17 torch. Yepper, got pretty warm. 'bout maxed out the Dyn, also. This was my first attempt at Aluminum, & I would classify the experience as "humbling". Many of the welds look like a big seagull pooped on it, but it doesn't leak. The actual cooler is a heater core from a pickup and the pump is a regular Procon pump from EBay. The pump came with a 220V motor, so I hunted for a 220v fan to go with it. That wasn't all that easy, either. The one in the pic is rated at 300 CFM. I am not sure that the reservoir would even be needed with that baby, it really moves some air.

The body of the cart is 1 inch square aluminum with 0.125 walls. Yep, that is pretty heavy also. I figured that the heavier stock would be less prone to burn through while I was learning. Some of the welds on it are actually OK. I had the cooler finished by the time I started on the actual cart and had acquired a CK Flex Loc torch in the 9/20 size. I REALLY LIKE THAT TORCH.

The Dyn has round rubber feet that set in homemade aluminum "washers" which are welded to the cross pieces. The cooler is bolted to the lower cross pieces from below.

I really had a lot of fun with these two projects. It will be pleasant, in the future, to look back at the welds, & (hopefully) think that I have improved over the years.

Jerry in Anchorasge
    Attached Images Attached Images