Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: New TIG Cart

Default New TIG Cart

I am a very new TIGer and decided that a cart for the Dyn200 would be a good starting project. Well, sort of. I also wanted to go "water cooled", but objected to $400-$600 for a cooler. Why not build one, I think. So I did.

The reservoir for the liquid is two pieces of aluminum rectangle box tube approximately 3in. X 6in. X 15 inches long. They are 1/4 in. thick. The end plates are 3/8 thick. A bit of overkill, I think. I live in Anchorage, Alaska, & metal (other than rebar & big box store crs) is pretty darn scarce. So I use what I can locate. I welded that reservoir with an aircooled 17 torch. Yepper, got pretty warm. 'bout maxed out the Dyn, also. This was my first attempt at Aluminum, & I would classify the experience as "humbling". Many of the welds look like a big seagull pooped on it, but it doesn't leak. The actual cooler is a heater core from a pickup and the pump is a regular Procon pump from EBay. The pump came with a 220V motor, so I hunted for a 220v fan to go with it. That wasn't all that easy, either. The one in the pic is rated at 300 CFM. I am not sure that the reservoir would even be needed with that baby, it really moves some air.

The body of the cart is 1 inch square aluminum with 0.125 walls. Yep, that is pretty heavy also. I figured that the heavier stock would be less prone to burn through while I was learning. Some of the welds on it are actually OK. I had the cooler finished by the time I started on the actual cart and had acquired a CK Flex Loc torch in the 9/20 size. I REALLY LIKE THAT TORCH.

The Dyn has round rubber feet that set in homemade aluminum "washers" which are welded to the cross pieces. The cooler is bolted to the lower cross pieces from below.

I really had a lot of fun with these two projects. It will be pleasant, in the future, to look back at the welds, & (hopefully) think that I have improved over the years.

Jerry in Anchorasge
    Attached Images Attached Images

great job.
    your going to have a lot of fun with the Dyn200. and looking back at the first welds will be fun, or they may inspire you to rebuild it. aether way will be fun.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Thumbs up nfinch86- CANADIAN WELDOR :

GREAT JOB; Looks like a fine cart !!!!..... Norm :

Sunrise Outside My Shop In Delhi, Ontario

- Arcair- K 4000 CAC.

- LN-25 Wire Feeder

- Lincoln Ranger 8- Engine Drive- CC\CV:

- Lincoln Power Mig 180C
    - Spoolgun.
    - DeWalt Chop Saw .
    - DeWalt Compressor - 13cfm, @ 100 psi.

www.normsmobilewelding.blogspot.com

Default Sweeeee...eeet!!!

Very Nice Job!!!

Very nice! I'm working on my first cart this week.. I'm about 80% done..The bottom is 4130 tubing while the platformm for teh TIG it's self is just some 6061 strap and angle..Should look pretty neat when done, but probably not as clean as that cooler setup you built
    Dynasty 200DX
    Hobart Handler 135
    Smith MB55A-510 O/A setup
    Lathe/Mill/Bandsaw
    Hypertherm Powermax 45
    Just about every other hand tool you can imagine

Default Thanks for the kind words.

I appreciate the kind words about my cart. Too bad the pics are such low quality. I took to heart the guidelines about the size & resolution when creating them.

Back to the cart.

That cooler was a lot of fun, although in the final analysis, it could have been just cheaper to have purchased one. But then, I would not have gained the experience with the welding. It really does work well, though.

I am really enjoying this forum. Lots of knowledge here. So far, everyone has been helpful, & supportive. That is the way it should be.

Thanks
    Jerry in Anchorage
    (plus 19F right now at 9PM)