Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Hybrid View

Default hi all newbie here

hi all, im a on again off again welding student at the local community college, i picked up a old miller thunderbolt, i was curious if i could update it some, it has a hand crank power control but the cheesy indicator doesnt work, is there anyway i can wire in a ampmeter if so how would i do this? any help is appreciated

Welcome to the Forum.

Sorry- can't help ya out
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

Thumbs up nfinch86- CANADIAN WELDOR :

Quote Originally Posted by lonegunman88240 View Post
    hi all, im a on again off again welding student at the local community college, i picked up a old miller thunderbolt, i was curious if i could update it some, it has a hand crank power control but the cheesy indicator doesnt work, is there anyway i can wire in a ampmeter if so how would i do this? any help is appreciated
    HI & WELCOME; Where ya from??..... Norm :

Sunrise Outside My Shop In Delhi, Ontario

- Arcair- K 4000 CAC.

- LN-25 Wire Feeder

- Lincoln Ranger 8- Engine Drive- CC\CV:

- Lincoln Power Mig 180C
    - Spoolgun.
    - DeWalt Chop Saw .
    - DeWalt Compressor - 13cfm, @ 100 psi.

www.normsmobilewelding.blogspot.com

Have you pulled the cover to see what exactly is wrong with the indicator? Might be cheesy for you, but it is dead simple and should be both easier to fix and cheaper using the original pointer.
    Miller 251...sold the spoolgun to DiverBill.
    Miller DialArc 250
    Lincoln PrecisionTig 275
    Hypertherm 900 plasma cutter
    Bridgeport "J" head mill...tooled up
    Jet 14 X 40 lathe...ditto
    South Bend 9" lathe...yeah, got the change gears too
    Logan 7" shaper
    Ellis 3000 band saw
    Hossfeld bender w/shopbuilt hyd.
    Victor Journeyman torch and gauges
    3 Gerstner boxes of mostly Starrett tools
    Lots of dust bunnies
    Too small of a shop at 40 X 59.

thanks for the warm welcome, im from hobbs new mexico,

yea actually i have, the guy i got it from was welding on a horse trailer and forgot about it, and somehow ran over it, everything seems fine but the case is messed up, will be making one soon, it seems to me that the front plate moves forward and backwards depending on which way it is cranked, whick forces a a small indicater into position i assume? most of those small parts are gone and the local welding shops were no help

Quote Originally Posted by lonegunman88240 View Post
    yea actually i have, the guy i got it from was welding on a horse trailer and forgot about it, and somehow ran over it, everything seems fine but the case is messed up, will be making one soon, it seems to me that the front plate moves forward and backwards depending on which way it is cranked, whick forces a a small indicater into position i assume? most of those small parts are gone and the local welding shops were no help
    Post up a picture and lets see what you have left.
    Miller 251...sold the spoolgun to DiverBill.
    Miller DialArc 250
    Lincoln PrecisionTig 275
    Hypertherm 900 plasma cutter
    Bridgeport "J" head mill...tooled up
    Jet 14 X 40 lathe...ditto
    South Bend 9" lathe...yeah, got the change gears too
    Logan 7" shaper
    Ellis 3000 band saw
    Hossfeld bender w/shopbuilt hyd.
    Victor Journeyman torch and gauges
    3 Gerstner boxes of mostly Starrett tools
    Lots of dust bunnies
    Too small of a shop at 40 X 59.

ok just as soon as i can, he didnt run completly over it just enough to ruin the case, he tried to reshape it and hammer it back to shape lol and it looks it,
    i got a 100 amp fcaw, i thought making a new case would be a good project for the little wire feed, would any of you know what the duty cycle of these old welders were?