Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Wood furnace

Thanks but I'm far, far away from Minnesota.
    I'm in (very) rural Northern Arizona, where basements are few and far between, and the only code is the "JTMcC don't burn the shack down code of 2008"

JTMcC
    Some days you eat the bear. And some days the bear eats you.

Well I have a minute here. This project really was a compromise and I was distracted so it took a couple trys to get it working. First it worked very well, too well in some sense and things were fine until I got a couple bright ideas, one was to insulate the thin wall chimney which helped over heat the thing, blew paint smoke all over, cooked my thermostat (fortunately was working on other fan options) and needed to cool it down. It burned some paint off the panels as the top was really too close. Once it over heat the thing is so heavy that it took a good while to cool it down. I pulled it back out and to the shop for a re-man, I increased the clearances to the top and changed the ducts to full size, this time after that experience I was able to figure out a better thermostat location and wire routing. Now I didn't hook it to the return air but brought it in from the outside, figured it would always purge the place with fresh, that worked to some extent. I changed out that noisy fan for a blade type and when it was cold out the temp rise was marginal. Next morning I figure to slow the fan and increase the thermostat temp, that work pretty good and was a simple type fix that seems to work well enough at the moment. After I change the top cabinet clearance I also added a 16 ga mild steel baffle (un-painted) to reduce hot spot, after some trial and error the thing actually works pretty well all in all. The learning curve was high and the thing was time consuming and was really one of those things that eat time when I could have been making money but now the comfort is nice and it really reduce the gas usage.
    I really had other plans when I dreamed this up and this was a stop gap, if I had followed thru my original design would have worked better. Most things I do I hit right up the first time but this started on left foot and small errors compounded, not that the end result was bad but it certainly could have been thought thru better from the start including rounding up some more suitable materials, I really salvaged to the extreme, I finally got some real duct from a bud which made it a lot easier. Now its super quiet at any rate and with a little learning I can tune the temp but uses a bit more wood as its heating cold air instead or return air. If I had it to do over again I would certainly give a bit more thought to it up front.

Thanks for sharing Sberry. You did some great work, we (I) learned alot. Merry Christmas..
    Joe in NY

Clarke 131E Arc Welder
    HF 4x6 bandsaw
    Hitachi 4.5" Grinder
    Craftsman Air Compressor

Thumbs up

JTMcC
    only code is the "JTMcC don't burn the shack down code of 2008"

thats my kind of code.
    around here there is a loop-hole, any addition under 100 sq. ft. is good to go as long as no plumbing is in use. that explains why the kids new rooms are 7'X11-1/2' ( inside with outside of 8X12 ) instead of 10X12.
    so far the shack is not burned down.

i suspect it was intended to cover mud rooms, or draft stops to keep the cold out in winter. but it works good for me.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Quote Originally Posted by fun4now View Post
    JTMcC
    only code is the "JTMcC don't burn the shack down code of 2008"

thats my kind of code.
    around here there is a loop-hole, any addition under 100 sq. ft. is good to go as long as no plumbing is in use. that explains why the kids new rooms are 7'X11-1/2' ( inside with outside of 8X12 ) instead of 10X12.
    so far the shack is not burned down.

i suspect it was intended to cover mud rooms, or draft stops to keep the cold out in winter. but it works good for me.

For every county beaurocrat, huddled in a dark back office, trying to regulate the common man out of existence......................................... ..
    there's a guy plotting, and scheming, to jump thru each and every loophole he can find

JTMcC, Happy Day after Xmas!!
    Some days you eat the bear. And some days the bear eats you.