Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wood furnace

Youre going to need more than the dry vent to get the cold air back
    I copied an existing setup to some extent, a factory unit where the cold was blown in thru a 6 inch and leaves thru a 16x16 plenum. JT, I realize you can build a non leaking unit, the same way this one is but the layout made this easy and like you said, corrode thru is the thing or possibly a heat stress crack. The factory unit of course had grates on sides, etc but basically a sheetmetal firebox where it would be more concern.

fun4now, I was going to buy one of those high dollar outside units with my neighbor (a welder) and share the heat. Im getting laid off my cement hauling this week so money is now very short. I got to thinking (along with my wifes prodding) why not just weld my own? I know it wont be nearly as technologically advanced but it should still heat water. Im just in the planning stages now and will no doubt steal ideas from several production units.
    Who do you call when the lawmakers ignore the law?

Miller AC/DC Thunderbolt 225
    Miller 180 w/Autoset
    Old cutting torch on LPG

How about heating used oil? Wouldn't that hold heat longer than water? Or a container covered inside with rocks that will heat up and hold heat and release the heat over a long period of time. Seems you could avoid the heat spike while burning also.

Quote Originally Posted by fun4now View Post
    Flyingpig
    By the way, Ive been thinking of doing the same thing but using water as the medium. Ill have to run mine 50 ft or more from the house. keep us posted on your progress. it sounds like you are planing similar to my plan, although i will be closer to the house. i need the house as a wind block, its crazy windy here.

JTMcC & Sberry
    do you guys get a lot of snow ??? or just cold ?? have you considered some form of solar heat options ??
    there are some simple drop in a window systems that look promising as well as some more complex options that have a better heat collection system.

i added a few pic's
    the first is a simple out the window idea that lets cold air in and as it heats the air in the front it pulls in more cold as the hot flows out the top. sorry i had to make a quick drawing of that one, i cant find the pic ??

the next 3 are of a design thats supposed to collect maximum heat all day long due to a convex reflector shining on an air heat chamber, this one requires a forced air system to move the heated air. the wright-up said forced air was the way to go, but it looks like heating water might be a better idea ??

unfortunately i get very little sun and lots of wind, so my hopes for the solar option are not looking too good, but i may look into the forced air one.
    I made one of those window boxes years ago and it worked well on sunny days. If I remember right there was 128 degree air coming out under ideal conditions. Matter of fact the guy down the street was so impressed he made me an offer I couldn't refuse and I never got around to building another one.

I agree there is a lot of room for improvement both with this idea and other options. My whole deal is I want it now and wanted it cheap to replace gas as well as add some comfort. My Dads "hobby" is cutting wood, we are equipped to do it so as soon as I get off my tail with a couple things I am going to finish this, about a day yet with 2 men.
    I would be changing design and going to hot water if I was building from scratch and adding some solar features, energy stuff in the design, this is strictly a hi function kind of thing and at the moment I dont want to fool with modifications to this existing structure. This is dirt simple, has direct payback and quickly adds some comfort.

Quote Originally Posted by fun4now View Post
    Flyingpig
    By the way, Ive been thinking of doing the same thing but using water as the medium. Ill have to run mine 50 ft or more from the house. keep us posted on your progress. it sounds like you are planing similar to my plan, although i will be closer to the house. i need the house as a wind block, its crazy windy here.

JTMcC & Sberry
    do you guys get a lot of snow ??? or just cold ?? have you considered some form of solar heat options ??
    there are some simple drop in a window systems that look promising as well as some more complex options that have a better heat collection system.

i added a few pic's
    the first is a simple out the window idea that lets cold air in and as it heats the air in the front it pulls in more cold as the hot flows out the top. sorry i had to make a quick drawing of that one, i cant find the pic ??

the next 3 are of a design thats supposed to collect maximum heat all day long due to a convex reflector shining on an air heat chamber, this one requires a forced air system to move the heated air. the wright-up said forced air was the way to go, but it looks like heating water might be a better idea ??

unfortunately i get very little sun and lots of wind, so my hopes for the solar option are not looking too good, but i may look into the forced air one.

I get a ton of sun. Minimum snow. I've looked pretty close (years ago) at passive solar but I think I'd get too much heat during the day. Our days warm up pretty nice as it is, just let the sun shine in the windows.
    My old shack is poorly insulated, I'm just looking to put some nightime heat into the place and like Sberry I'm not interested in putting forth too much time/effort, just a simple thing.
    Assuming I have the time to even do that.

JTMcC.
    Some days you eat the bear. And some days the bear eats you.

I missed a couple of pics along the way, will get one of the finished,(semi finished) project shortly. Now the big problem,,, figuring how to keep it under 85 in the place, ha I also need to work on muffling the return air intake noise a bit. It warmed up near freezing, wish I would have had it a week ago when it dropped in to the low teens at night.

How about an update now that this has been in service for a while.

How often do you have to load it? At what temps?
    Does the little dryer fan move the air over those distances?
    Plus any other info you find usefull.

According to the weather chic this heater has had it's work cut out lately.

JTMcC.
    Some days you eat the bear. And some days the bear eats you.

Yes, it has got cold again here and its back in service, I will update this when I have a clear thought or 2 to spare.

Quote Originally Posted by JTMcC View Post
    Any progress?

I'm thinnin about a pipe furnace inside a larger pipe sleeve with insulated ducts going in with hot air and one going out with return air. Mine would be on a self contained skid that I can set/remove with a forklift and wouldn't be fancy enough to plumb into the existing ductwork, just feed in thru a window with louvers. The window sports a water cooler in the summer which works well in our dry desert climate.
    I'm also thinnin about putting a large amount of heavy (2") iron in there to soak the heat and only run it at night. We warm up pretty good during the days here but have quite a few moderatly chilly nights in the 10 to 15 degree range. Not stupid cold, but still calls for some heat.

JTMcC.

of course with a blower, maybe up at the window instead of at the furnace. I'm planning on putting this thing at least 15' from the house.
    I'm not sure were you are but Minnesota law at the time said this type of unit needed to be in basement w/ certain amount of distance from walls certain this and that. or i think it was 50' from the house if outside inside another structure. It was a while ago but should check up on local yada yada cause i know my father was talking about a large fine if he didn't do it the "right way"