Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Wood furnace

Hybrid View

Default Wood furnace

I started it today after scrounging parts and a core old stove that has seen its share of modifications from several different installations. I didnt want to start from scratch so I am adapting and took the plasma to it to make changes, spent an hour with a grinder and am getting ready to retro fit the features I need, enlarge the door, add some baffles and put it into a jacket for forced hot air outside wood burner. These are some of the core parts, junk laying on top of the stove.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Starting to get cold here and I've been thinking of the same thing to help suplement the LP heat in my shop. Keep us posted on your project....

I cut the scrap off and opened the door height, now trying to come up with a baffle design that I can install before I rebuild the door front. I am wanting the hot exhaust to run down the full length of the top plate before it exits. The baffle will be like a channel or box tubing about 2x12 about 20 inches long.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thumbs up

looks like you are off to a good start.
    will it be inside your home or for the shop??
    how thick is the fire box ??
    i been playing with the idea of making a burner to heat water to circulate as a heat source. still need to do a lot of info gathering be for i attempt it though. lots of unanswered questions be for i start.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Its for my house, it will sit outside and duct into the central. This is a really simple hillbilly version. I live in a mobile home (was cheap to free) and have about 8 ft run to make it to the raceway. I am going to have to cut a hole in the frame to duct thru to make it direct. I was going to build an addition and incorporate all this in with a utility room but an going to do shortcut version for the time being, ran out of money and ambition.
    Last edited by Sberry; 10-24-2008 at 12:31 PM.

Cool

i just added an 8'X12' addition to my trailer this summer for my 3 year old to have a room. its the 2nd time i have done this, i'm running out of trailer.
    i was thinking an outside boiler then pipe the hot water into the house to help off-set the $ of the heating oil as its killing me.
    i just ran out of time and $$ to get it done this summer, so its a next year thing i guess. unless i build it in the shop and attach it later.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES